Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

Getting married and having children (or not getting married, don't have to be married to have children) would be on your own terms.

Yes, but that's where it ends.

From that point on, you have an obligation to consider someone else's wishes.

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm lucky in that the house prices of where I am moving to (Preston) are quite a bit cheaper* than my home town 20 miles north (Lancaster). It also puts me 15 miles closer to work too, so I am going to be cycling it.

*significantly cheaper than down South too! Was chatting to some mates at the last Tier1 game and they were amazed I was getting a reasonably sized 3 bedroom mid-terrace for such a cheap price. The loft has been converted too, so that's going to be my war room/man cave.

Bloody hell, you're just down the road from me!

Like I said, I'm as happy now as I was when I was single. Obligation or not, I enjoy it. Seeing a person grow and develop, is enjoyable to behold. Wouldn't change it for the world and wouldn't ram it down people's necks either. Am not a soppy parent or someone who thinks their child is the best thing since sliced bread. But also, I love them to bits and would do anything for them (seeing them happy makes me happy).

Yes, but that's where it ends.

From that point on, you have an obligation to consider someone else's wishes.

True, perhaps the answer is never get married or have kids :P.

As for me I have a bit of freedom, will probably soon have a girlfriend (why not, eh?) and nothing (bar a petty issue with a stupid company) is really causing me any issues.

I could be doing a lot worse and for now I am glad that I am not.

'FireKnife'

Like I said, I'm as happy now as I was when I was single. Obligation or not, I enjoy it. Seeing a person grow and develop, is enjoyable to behold. Wouldn't change it for the world and wouldn't ram it down people's necks either. Am not a soppy parent or someone who thinks their child is the best thing since sliced bread. But also, I love them to bits and would do anything for them (seeing them happy makes me happy).

Fair play to you.

I personally see children as parasites, sucking at the quality of life of their parents. 

Each to their own I guess. :P

What made you go down the route of a Stasi uniform jacket when you could have got a normal NVA uniform jacket at a fraction of the price? Looking at your concept, it wouldn't have made much difference.

Point me to that NVA jacket, as the only thing I could find in my size (which, for East German jackets, would be M52-1) cost 50 teuros, regardless of being NVA or Stasi. And the dingus with the Stasi jacket is in the fact that it comes with officer shoulderboards (Major, to be more precise) and collar tabs.

Trust me, I searched Ebay for GDR jackets, and they rarely go for less than 40 euros, especially in my size. If something's cheaper, it doesn't fit me. I checked out Varusteleka too - while they do have cheap hats (that are large enough to fit over a helmet/mask thinger I intend to build) and claim to have piles of unsorted GDR uniform pieces, they don't want to sort those and set them up for sale yet.

Hmmm, I think I got something, 35 Euros for a jacket with Unteroffizier shoulderboards, and shipping that's far below 20 Euros. A good day, I think.

Covering daughters ears; "don't listen to him sweetie, everything is awesome. Honestly". Just watched The lego Movie again. I feel a lego buying spree coming on (and selling some airsoft bits and bobs to make room for it!).

Haven't drank some Irn Bru in over two weeks, maybe today I'll cave. That would make me smile.

I swear that I was led to believe that NVA kit was cheaper in Europe, but I suppose the specific jackets are more expensive (I am probably thinking about FDA jacket tops instead of dress tunics).  I really need to get back into that kit.

All this money and debt talk reminds me that I am supposed to start the process today of withdrawing money from my savings to pay for my final semester.  There goes a decade of savings.

Me thinks pizza is in order today before work.

That lego movie song is addicting.  I swear I started humming it once during a hunt online with others for monster hunter.

Fair play to you.

I personally see children as parasites, sucking at the quality of life of their parents. 

Each to their own I guess. :P

Agreed.

Hearing breeders talk about their kids is like listening to people who have grown to love their tumor.

I haven't slept in 5 years, I have poo under my fingernails, my collection of G1 transformers has been smashed, I am skint, I haven't seen any of my friends in years but I love every minute.

You should have kids.

Jooooooin usssssss...

Or I could meet someone, have a child which would then become the focus of my life and have pre-pepared lines about why my 2.5+ hour commute is worth it like this poor *bramston pickle*

None are more hopelessly enslaved...

It takes me 17 minutes to walk to work.

I actually wish I lived further away so it would be more exercise.

dammit. I want that. I want it inside me.

I want you inside me.

(I don't go for guys [except Jenson Button] but I couldn't miss the opportunity for such a great set up).

Ooooohh got a new idea involving chilli, bacon, sausage and a Yorkshire pud. Hhmmmm (basically don't put gravy in, just put chilli in instead. Win).

Also, I get plenty of sleep (only need 5 hours). I've had poo on my finger, but not under my nail. Eeeeuuuurrrggghhh. My G1 transformers are fine (as are my recent purchases of remakes of G1 TF's by other companies like fansProject). Airsoft equals me being skint (sometimes). I see my friends (and not via skype, in real life).

Resistance is futile

Not pushing kids on you stunt, I remember you talking about it a while back :(

Mine is a cracker though too. Sleeps at least 12 hours a night, and has done since he was 8 weeks old.

Had poofinger once, when I put it through a nappy bag I was throwing out.

He's not allowed my shiny stuff, and won't be at all. He has his own *suitcase* to break.

I'm skint, but that's due to house renovations, which we started before he was born. A lot of his stuff is second hand, or gifts. There's a million swap and sell sites on face*fruitcage* which my wife does well on.

Social life is a bit different, we don't go out nearly as much, but still make the effort to see all our friends and family.

It was hard adjusting at first, especially as my wife nearly died during childbirth, and if we had the option for another (we don't), we wouldn't do it again as the risk to her would be far too great. That was the only down side I think.

Anyway, as I said, it's not for everyone, but I'm rather taken with my cool little pal.

He's a *fruitcage* disgusting eater though...

Agreed.

Hearing breeders talk about their kids is like listening to people who have grown to love their tumor.

I haven't slept in 5 years, I have poo under my fingernails, my collection of G1 transformers has been smashed, I am skint, I haven't seen any of my friends in years but I love every minute.

You should have kids.

Jooooooin usssssss...

Meh, everybody's entitled to their opinion. However wrong yours may be in this case ;) (Jesting, I remember your previous posts).

I'm fortunate in that both me and Mrs. Tink want tiny (HA!) Tink's running around in the future. Fortunately there are enough small children at our church that I can get my fill of fatherly duties (Mainly bouncy bouncy and trying to convince them to walk/run/blow raspberries, depending on their age). Daniel is the cutest thing ever, in my opinion, and he's not even mine.

At the same time, I can appreciate how irritating it must be for people that don't want kids, and I so solemnly vow to try really hard not to be one of those irritating parents. Firm leash, and all that.

I want you inside me.

(I don't go for guys [except Jenson Button] but I couldn't miss the opportunity for such a great set up).

Don't lie, any man would be please with me as a lover. You know what they say, big feet, big... socks ;)

Yeah, I'm mostly joking and partly trying to convince myself.

It's all cool, if you focus on the stuff you can't have you'll be miserable for your whole life.

You have to try to enjoy the things you can have...

Like sleep, cream carpets, sharp edged furniture, money, cheap holidays (outside school holiday times), peace and quiet, open first floor windows and 2-seater cars.

My post wasn't trying to be sly or "oh look at my wonderful life". But I do get the "I can do what every I want" line thrown at me a lot. I think in my old age I've realised the one thing that makes me happy is creativity (be it small model kit bashing, lego for designs or what am doing now, creating a comic), I can do all these things from the comfort of my home. Doing what a certain friend of mine does, would drive me nuts (mad hours and being available at the drop of a hat). But he loves it and as such, suits him fine.

Diversity is the key to happiness. If you feel trapped in your life that's when you start going nuts (doesn't matter if you are single, married, with children or without).

Stunt, I also hope you don't think I'm trying to have a dig at you (for reasons as mentioned by others).

But, this is the happy thread and am happily staying up late watching the making of Alien 3 (the extended version). Fingers crossed I'll get to do some photography in October (near Kendal) and then I'll be really happy (as I'll have my inspiration for a story that is bugging me). I say photography, what I mean is getting someone else to do the photography (better cameraman than I and I'm better at explaining what I want and letting someone else carry out the brief).

Scarclaw, it really is a significant thing and I certainly don't feel as if you are demeaning my achievement of becoming a homeowner by pointing out how depressing it can be thinking about it. A massive part of my wage is going to be going toward the house and bills and it's going to take some getting used to. You are right, house prices are crazy, and I can only see them getting more expensive so I jumped on the ladder when I was stable enough too. My only regret is I didn't do it sooner, when house prices were cheaper.

Scorch, I'd rather be paying my mortgage than someone else's. In 25 years, a bloody long time, it will be all mine. If I was to rent then I would have nothing to show for all of that money. Don't get me wrong, there are loads of benefits to renting, for a start you can bang out of there at the earliest convenience if you have moved to a bad neighbourhoods you have trouble with the neighbours. And like you said, the repair bills rest with your landlord for the most part.

Shmook, where about are you?

I swear that I was led to believe that NVA kit was cheaper in Europe, but I suppose the specific jackets are more expensive (I am probably thinking about FDA jacket tops instead of dress tunics).  I really need to get back into that kit.

Well, I'm looking for a service jacket, and those go for $45 at least. But 's all good, I know where to find the breeches (even considering the insane East German size chart, where M52 and UG52 have the same waist size, but SG52 is 4" tighter at the waist, etc.) for $35 shipped, I know where to find the jacket, and Varusteleka has officer hats in large sizes, so once I'm done building the helmet/mask thing I'll know where to find a fitting hat.

I hate kids, so does my wife. Ten years of blissful marriage. We both earn good money and do whatever the *fruitcage* we want with it. Boom.

Darkchild

Agreed, this is my plan (and possibly I shall find the girl it applies to).

Also after holding out I got the new Lego Arctic Snowmobile for £4 as Asda decided the best way to promote the Lego movie was take 20% off everything Lego in store.

Plus I converted it from a small snowmobile with trailer to a longer one that fully supports the rock that comes with the set using all of one extra bit.

However now it makes me want more Lego, in particular the Coast Guard and Arctic sets.

'FireKnife'

No kids is the way forward IMO, the only problem is this strange phenomena that now I'm in my 30s, all my mates are simultaneously having kids.

This leaves me with a dilemma, in that I'm steadily running out of drinking buddies. It will be years before any of them can start up a regular social life again, outside of their fellow friends who are parents,where they sit around discussing what boring things their kids did which are so amazing.

They have already started at barbecues and the like. I have to stop them when talking to me, and quote that film with the time travelling ginger bloke "nothing can prepare you for the apathy of your friends who do not have children" then they get the hint.

Darkchild

Archived