Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

Cherry coke is worse than no sugar ribena.

It's evil, and branded in such a manner that it tricks you into thinking it's normal coke if you're in a rush.

That first gulp and hit of cherry makes me heave, I can't stand cherries :(

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My company provides nothing. The kettle was brought in my one of the engineers, we bring in our own tea coffee and milk. Sometimes, the directors come in and help themselves to said tea coffee and milk never bringing their own or chipping in for it despite having just sold the company for £3.5m. We're under paid, over worked, and get no sick pay or benefits. I only have 2 uniform polo shirts, because there were 3 left in the cupboard to divide between 2 of us and we had to rock paper scissors to see who got a second.

We were all also employed on the basis that it was a starting wage that would go up after probation, which turned out to be an out and out lie.

And on top of all of this, we get to work under a depot manager that treats the place like his own private fiefdom where he can do no wrong. He makes major cock ups and blames other staff for them when it is quite clearly his fault and will leave a customer waiting in the showroom for 25 minutes before sorting their problem because he is holding an inquisition to assign blame first.

Oh wait. Wrong thread...

Got any jobs going Stunt? I make a wicked brew and don't mind being a broom *badgeress*.

Sure, if you are entirely unqualified for the job.  They just hired a guy that is so obnoxiously officious and yet utterly convinced he is infallible that if his appraisal said "incompetent" the management would have to congratulate him on his improvement.

Seriously, "unknowingly aggressively detrimental to the continued success of the company" is how I would describe him.

Damn Stunt, that sounds decent.  I thought you were Army?

I was, I am a civilian contractor now.  I basically do a job that two soldiers did when it was military but because I don't have the time overhead of the other stuff the army has to do it isn't hard to cope.

A lot of my colleagues and all my bosses are ex-military (all enlisted except 2 and an LE officer which isn't so bad) so things happen with a minimum of fuss.

The guy who decides what clothing and equipment we need is an ex-QM and doesn't mess around, if you can present him with a reasonable argument why we need training, equipment or stores he will get it.

We also have gym equipment at work (although that is shared with the army, I doubt we'd have it if it wasn't for them) and we do regular "team building" afternoons like the company will spring for an afternoon bowling if someone leaves or sometimes the boss will buy a round at the pub on a Friday.

The bonus is really special, the army contracts us to provide  a certain amount of training in a year but instead of spreading it around so we have the same training burden all year they give us 5 courses at once and periods with none.

The company wanted to fire people and take on temps in the busy periods but my boss suggested we use the "spare capacity" during quiet spells to generate income training civilians too.

That way we didn't have to fire anyone and the bonus is our share of 10% of the profit the company makes sending us out to do extra work.  Brilliant.

This is comfortably the best job I have ever had and is challenging in a different way every day.

Stunt, that's sounds pretty damn sweet.

In my current job, in a special needs school, I've been promoted against my will and then told to work as a teacher - designing curricula, teaching subjects, taking students on vocational placements and integration visits - all for a third of the pay of an actual teacher.

Oh, and the senior management use me and my colleagues as a mouthpiece for bad news. For example, I've had to tell the 35 educational assistants that we have in the school that their working hours are now being extended by half an hour a day without an increase in pay or insurance cover. That's equivalent to 17 unpaid workdays a year.

I had to point out to the SMT that the EAs are not going to be happy, considering most of them are on £10,873 a year, which in HK barely covers rent, let alone food, utilities or transport.

Reply from the SMT: We don't have time for this discussion, put it in an email and we'll look at it later. By the way, we're off to Thailand/Bali/Malaysia for a week's holiday and will be totally unreachable. Cheers!

I'm moving back to the UK at the end of the year. *fruitcage* this *suitcase*.

I'm moving back to the UK at the end of the year. *fruitcage* this *suitcase*.

Move back to Edinburgh, it is still awesome :P. Plus by the sounds of it you will earn more working in a *suitcase*-hole like McDonalds than your job there.

As this is the happy thread I am happy that I had a good evening with the pair of TM pistols I just got. Still looking at putting the M&P9 as a kind of 'it is for sale but no rush' as I like it but if I get the cash I could have a TRMR or two instead.

However both performed amazingly on Ultra with a nice kick given it was a tad cold on site. The only issue was the odd player but hey every site has 'em right?

'FireKnife'

Move back to Edinburgh, it is still awesome :P. Plus by the sounds of it you will earn more working in a *suitcase*-hole like McDonalds than your job there.

I intend to.

HELP ME FUND MY MOVE, BUY MY AIRSOFT GUNS PLS

I intend to.

HELP ME FUND MY MOVE, BUY MY AIRSOFT GUNS PLS

I would say bring them over then but that means you would have to deal with the hassle of border control etc :P. Surely in HK someone would buy them?

Also if you need a place for a few days you are welcome to the couch at mine, ok it is Dunfermline and a touch out of Edinburgh (bout 10 miles) but there is a train in every 30mins from the end of my road :P.

'FireKnife'

Cheers for the offer, FK. The big problem with second hand sales in HK is that no one goes for them much. The prestige factor is big in HK, this is a country where people buy new mobile phones every month just to have the best and newest models.

I put stuff up for sale and it's often going for less than 30& value.

Ah yes I recall my unlces comment when he was ex-patting out there for two years for some company HK Airport: 'some people will live in the dingiest flat with the barest of essentials but will always have enough set aside to afford a plasma TV and the latest games console'. He even found himself doing it somewhat too.

Jeez though 30% is dreadful. I feel bad enough putting my PPK up for around 66% of it's value and my new in box, only fired about 150 times M&P for 70-75% of it's cost new.

But hey if it is a cut you end up taking to put you back in the UK would it be worth it? I thought the same about getting away from Aberdeen, if I have to spend loads on travel and accomadation to get away I would, I just got lucky and landed a job in the Central Belt that pays almost as well (as in the difference is not worth bothering about, £200 less but about £150 of that came from 24hr call out in my old job).

'FireKnife'

£200 less but about £150 of that came from 24hr call out in my old job).

Quality of life accounts for a lot. 

My new house is more expensive than my old flat, so I have less disposable income, but by god am I happier living back in town near my friends and in a place that doesn't make me miserable to come home to.

Very true. I went from a dysmal flat in a bad area with leaks developing, no airsoft sites near by, nowhere to practice most of my hobbies and generally really horrible people to being in a flat that has full central heating, costs less, is nearer to my job, in a new job with more social events, right next to a beautiful city and within one hours drive of about 7-8 sites and even a few more just beyond that. Not to mention the fact I am next to two airports that fly to most European and Southern England destinations (and on to other parts of the world via short stops).

I may have gone down in wage by say £250 tops but again £150 of that was due to call out I no longer have to do and I still have money saved up from being in that dump I was in. Too bad I seemed to have not kicked my 'lack of spending' habit, seriously if I told some of you how much was in my 'airsoft fund' you would think I was insane :P.

'FireKnife'

You've mentioned it partially before FK.  As much as I would love to think what I have left over in my savings is essentially my fund for stuff, I know that it will probably just go to the family in some form or another within a few years.  My mother jokes that if I had ever gotten involved with a girl, I more than likely would not have said savings at all. :P

True, I should spend mine. I mean if it was like £1000 and that was all I had then I would think that for car, flat or other repairs / issues I had to come up with.

However the one thing I wanted to buy and guess what, the local shop that had it is sold out and ordering it is no good as I have to buy stuff for it in store due to it being blank ammunition based.

Perhaps this is why I don't spend so much, whenever I want something I can't get it (well in this case for a reasonable cost as it means paying extra in postage and then making a 60 mile round trip to get the blanks, if they haven't sld out by the weekend).

'FireKnife'

True, I should spend mine. I mean if it was like £1000 and that was all I had then I would think that for car, flat or other repairs / issues I had to come up with.

However the one thing I wanted to buy and guess what, the local shop that had it is sold out and ordering it is no good as I have to buy stuff for it in store due to it being blank ammunition based.

Perhaps this is why I don't spend so much, whenever I want something I can't get it (well in this case for a reasonable cost as it means paying extra in postage and then making a 60 mile round trip to get the blanks, if they haven't sld out by the weekend).

'FireKnife'

TRMR?

Just order it from JD and get it shipped, primers and all.

They don't seem to have the primers, unless the search system they have is useless or I am a tard? (both are equally as likely).

And yes it is a TRMR. I noticed in my game last night that a distinct lack of pyro on both teams really hampered the game somewhat when it came to room storming etc.

'FireKnife'

Yes I am a tard as I put that and got no response, but that could be works internet.

Still out of stock which makes it pointless me ordering. Either I get it from the local shop all as one or all as one from online otherwise I am just throwing extra cash away which is a waste.

'FireKnife'

Archived