Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was basically the same with the Iroko coffee table I made..

I had jigs made and everything to make sure it was perfectly flat and the tongue and groove joins in each plank were perfect... The thing is rock solid and will way outlast me for sure!

Gah I love woodwork! Unfortunately I don't have the proper tools to do as much as I would like to at home! One day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed.  I'm so jealous of Americans in even the modest of houses that have gigantic garages with space for a little workshop area.  And here we are with garages you can't even fit a normal car in.

True.  But I think they built garages accordingly.  There are a couple of old, stupid big American cars near me.  I never fail to think wtf whenever I go past one.  Plus their emissions must be off the charts.  You can practically taste the petrol in the air.

True.  But I think they built garages accordingly.  There are a couple of old, stupid big American cars near me.  I never fail to think wtf whenever I go past one.  Plus their emissions must be off the charts.  You can practically taste the petrol in the air.

it's not 'excessive emissions' it's belching power!

Maybe I'm just weird...

My computer desk (currently in my parents garage back in Norfolk as its SO FREAKING HUGE and I live in a tiny house now) is made from curly maple.

I know it's curly maple, because a friend of a friend back in Norfolk, around the time I was making it for my final GCSE project was going to clad his barn in it, as he's got a steam sawmill thingo that he takes to the village fetes and had some rough-sawn planks laying around seasoning.

I went "Can has that pls?" and he went "Yeah sure, it's a bit special for featherboard".

Then I spent about 60 hours with my dad and the woodwork teacher using all the tools that regular pupils aren't allowed to use because murderdeathkill, like the freakishly huge table saw, thicknesser/planer, chop saw, etc etc, then made some proper glue up, bonded the planks together (now all uniform thickness and length) and made a desk.

That desk will last longer than, likely, my entire lineage.

Nice.

That makes me feel shame.

I cut a radius on one corner of some ply and painted it :(

I did the same but there is a hole in mine so the top of my PC tower is level with the top of the desk.

Don't feel shame because I'm better than you.

Feel shame because I'm better than you and younger than you ;)

You're better, I'm older.

I had a spare 50 hours left when I was finished to play computer games and I don't care about the soldering iron burns, ball peen hammer dents and scars all over it.

When I move I'll throw it on a fire and build another for the new house.

I like wood work but I'm at it.  For my A level tech studies I made a wooden carriage clock with a marquetry face.  It's average.

My problem is I want to be amazing at everything I do. In my head I'm a word class cabinet maker, joiner, musician, driver, mechanic, cook, etc etc etc. In reality I'm not even close. It's why I give up most of my hobbies after a year or so. I get to average (or in some cases, better than, or worse than average), realise that's as good as I'll ever be without major fund and time injections, and get depressed. 

^that is the case for the large majority of people I reckon.

Someone will always look better than you, fix cars better than you, varnish wood better than you, *fruitcage* for longer than you can, have more airsoft guns etc etc... If you are having fun doing it then why not?

Im at a family wedding today on my fiances side.. I can safely say I know maybe 10% of the people but im suited and booted looking fly, beer is flowing well and I am having a great time.

^that is the case for the large majority of people I reckon.

Someone will always look better than you, fix cars better than you, varnish wood better than you, *fruitcage* for longer than you can, have more airsoft guns etc etc... If you are having fun doing it then why not?

Oh I'm sure it is. That's the thing, after I reach that point I'm not having fun anymore because I want to be better than I am, or I can be.

Im at a family wedding today on my fiances side.. I can safely say I know maybe 10% of the people but im suited and booted looking fly, beer is flowing well and I am having a great time.

That's all that matters.

If you're unknown at an event, make the effort, and next time, you're the known guy!

Tink, how old are you?

Embrace the family. It's the only way. Mrs Tinks' family is veritably batshit insane but I've learnt to love them as my own.

That's all that matters.

If you're unknown at an event, make the effort, and next time, you're the known guy!

Tink, how old are you?

27. Old enough to know better. Young enough for it still to me off.

Embrace the family. It's the only way. Mrs Tinks' family is veritably batshit insane but I've learnt to love them as my own.

This. Embrace it. It's the only way unless you fully rebel and hate the lot of them

27. Old enough to know better. Young enough for it still to ###### me off.

You're just an uppity child then, and I can't believe I pandered to your posts and tried to appease you :P

My problem is I want to be amazing at everything I do. In my head I'm a word class cabinet maker, joiner, musician, driver, mechanic, cook, etc etc etc. In reality I'm not even close. It's why I give up most of my hobbies after a year or so. I get to average (or in some cases, better than, or worse than average), realise that's as good as I'll ever be without major fund and time injections, and get depressed. 

Like looking in a mirror.

The only things I can stick with are things I love rather than things I think it would be cool to be into...

Finally joined CAMRA this afternoon. Didn't realise under 26s get concessionary price (shame I can only claim it for a year). But you get £20 of 50p off vouchers to use in Spoons (where I work, score) spread across the year as well as some pubs doing card discounts.

Best thing is free and fast track entry to beer festivals though. Hoping to be volunteering with the Oakham crew at the Cambridge beer festival (we ran a tasting night with them Thursday and are keen to cement the relationship)

Finally joined CAMRA this afternoon. Didn't realise under 26s get concessionary price (shame I can only claim it for a year). But you get £20 of 50p off vouchers to use in Spoons (where I work, score) spread across the year as well as some pubs doing card discounts.

Best thing is free and fast track entry to beer festivals though. Hoping to be volunteering with the Oakham crew at the Cambridge beer festival (we ran a tasting night with them Thursday and are keen to cement the relationship)

WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THIS A YEAR AND TWO MONTHS AGO!?

I should join CAMRA. i like beer.

I WAS UNAWARE IT WAS A THING, WHY AM I NOT PUSHING MORE YOUNG PEOPLE TO SIGN UP?

I don't know why it took me so long as I've always been an ale, mead and proper cider man.

Not much lager for me

Archived