Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USB 3

Damn.

My new laptop is very Windows optimised so it still has W10 on it.

There are loads of issues with the lid position sensors and accelerometers etc. that control the screen orientation and the digitiser pen is a bit of a nuisance in Linux.

However, my work needed me to do some network shenanigans today and I am just so much more familiar with the diagnostic tools in Linux so I booted in from a live USB stick.

I have a 128Gb Samsung USB 3 dual stick (USB A and USB micro B) and it is fast enough to use as a primary OS.

That is fascinating to me.

I was going to make the live drive persistent but I think that doing a full install on the USB stick is actually viable now.

Dang.

That is awesome.

That's...

That's actually hellishly impressive. I've got no USB 3.0 devices, so it's all just vapourware to me at the moment, but dang.

EDIT: presumably this means with some clever synchronising and one o'them keychain USB sticks you could carry a 'lite' copy of your home OS around and use it at will, presumably with some ingenious drop-box style workings to backup/share files worked on betwixt your 'home' OS, your 'portable OS' and your own fileserver...?

That's amazing.

How much would you have to charge for one of those?

That's...

That's actually hellishly impressive. I've got no USB 3.0 devices, so it's all just vapourware to me at the moment, but dang.

EDIT: presumably this means with some clever synchronising and one o'them keychain USB sticks you could carry a 'lite' copy of your home OS around and use it at will, presumably with some ingenious drop-box style workings to backup/share files worked on betwixt your 'home' OS, your 'portable OS' and your own fileserver...?

Yeah, it is pretty special.

With a 128Gb stick you can take a lot of the major files with you.

Other stuff in the Cloud.

It is a stopgap until mobile convergence which shouldn't be too far off now...

Needs too much for that. The way it's built and the size is too small. The outer diameter of the holder is the width of the shell, so even if I flared them, they wouldn't sit in it properly

That's a bummer.  What's the internal diameter?

Archived