Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

Suppose it helps me that I have just about enough stuff to fill my car once or twice :P.

Though when I was young I think I moved about once a year. Until the age of 8-9 I thought it was the norm to move that much.

'FireKnife'

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would still be tempted to 'sleep rough' for the first night. Shove the mattress on the floor, hook up the TV and sit eating snack foods while watching stuff before falling asleep in a pile on the floor :P.

As for my happy moment. Took my car back to the garage after it had just gotten new tyres and the plastic inner wheel arch thing re-secured since the inner wheel arch had come away again.

Walked down this evening to pick it back up to find it wasn't done. As soon as I walked in the apologised, ran out and fitted a new bolt, re-popped the plastics back into place and handed me the key. No fuss, no asking for it to be done, no fobbing off with excuses just done then and there without issue and for no charge, just as I would expect given that it was returned after an issue was supposedly fixed.

Plus it took no time out of my day as the garage is very close to my work and the walk outdoors was in lovely sunshine.

'FireKnife'

Wandered round Edinburgh, watching the sudden mass group of protestors going around.

It was actually quite fun seeing the effort they had put in and the good points they made.

That and some cappucino ice cream from a nice little Italian place, it was awesome.

'FireKnife'

Finally found something to do with my Raspberry Pi -

TOR access point/proxy, rolled into a offline wireless anonymous file sharing/media streaming/messageboard thingo. (piratebox.cc)

Now to order some USB hubs, USB memory sticks and wifi adaptors :D

Do you want us to refer to it in a language more befitting to you? (though what that is I am not sure :P)

Also found some awesome 'adult entertainment' that is to my taste, huzzah.

Oh and next week is the Edinburgh Jazz Festival. Time to get the bad taste suit, the whisky and the sunglasses out ;)

Also finally, this made my day:

'FireKnife'

Man I'd love to move out. I'm looking for a place in Bristol ATM.

Have fun with that, places can get a touch expensive if you don't want to live 'in the ghetto' :P.

What area are you looking at given that Bristol is a decent sized place? Plus has a great indoor site.

'FireKnife'

Finally found something to do with my Raspberry Pi -

TOR access point/proxy, rolled into a offline wireless anonymous file sharing/media streaming/messageboard thingo. (piratebox.cc)

Now to order some USB hubs, USB memory sticks and wifi adaptors :D

That made no sense to me!

I will not be swayed by your box of witchcraft...

I'll use little baby words for you ;).

I can make a box that lets you have a (mostly) anonymous and (mostly) untrackable connection to the internet, and also allow you to share files anonymously and untrackably with your friends.

In order to do this, I need to buy a USB hub (can't explain that any other way), some USB memory sticks (nor that) and a wifi adaptor (god help you if you can't understand this.)

TOR is really clever technology. What with the GCHQ mass spying, NSA, PRISM and all that, I'm becoming more an more interested in net neutrality and online privacy and that. Half tempted to TOR my phone up and send everything through it.

Righto.

Genuine question now, why do you need to share stuff anonymously?

cause *fruitcage* the police thats why

I was looking into a  vpn but tbh I wonder that it will make things more suspicious

racing homer seems the best bet...

also:

"(1) Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence.

(2) There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others."

edit 2: Most people here will have said something either in "private" or atleast in confidence... same thing.

Agreed. Unless the government has suspicions that you participate in criminal activity AND can prove this, they shouldnt spy on the citizens. Much the same why they need a search warrant Before conducting a search. So right now the government simply assumes everyone is a criminal except the government itself, or they use the info for other purposes. Which is equally despicable

Does it really matter though?

I appreciate why folk want privacy, and suppose its similar to a cop just walking into your house to have a look round unannounced. Pretty much guaranteed you aren't doing anything illegal, but still shouldn't be done.

But, share something online, or look at gunz or bewbs, what does it matter that it's logged somewhere? Are there rooms of people painstakingly going through everyone's search history? No.

It's just all going a bit too far.  Getting hassle from police for having perfectly legal dark window tint on your rear doors and rear windscreen under the grounds of security concern as they can't see who's in your car. Madness.

Are there rooms of people painstakingly going through everyone's search history? No.

You're right - They've automated the process. Metadata is kept nowadays, which tells a surprising lot about you - But even simple tracking cookies can be used to establish exactly what you're looking at, when etc.

There's an add-in for Chrome and Firefox I think, called Ghostery - It monitors which marketing companies, spammers etc are running scripts on the page to monitor your access.

Archived