Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor kid. January birthdays suck.

Everyone is poor from Christmas and new year, its dark, its cold and the weather is bloody miserable.

Agreed, if I had kids I would try for a summer birthday, June-July would be perfect.

One as it is a good 5-6-7 months between one day of presents and the other and two as then you get a chance to have summer parties etc.

Mine is June the 2nd and that suits me down to the ground. Had an ex who was on the 7th of Janurary and she hated it.

'FireKnife'

I recall my old boss was on Christmas day.

He essentially just got a doubled up Christmas by the sounds of it, getting twice what his sister got as her birthday was later in the year.

June always just felt good to me. Having one in say October would be odd too, not long til Christmas but ages from Christmas until your next birthday.

And as this is the happy thread I just bought my IWB secure holster so I can take my PPK/S with me in addition to my 1911. Going to be weird getting used to the two different trigger actions unless I carry the PPK/S Condition 3 and get used to using the outdated Israeli technique on it (plus it means I get to copy the fashion Bond seemed to use the PPK later in Skyfall, when in the London underground system)?

'FireKnife'

My Girlfriend's birthday is Christmas day too. She hates it. She wants a second birthday in the summer.

Mine is Jan 16th. 

NOBODY wants to go for a birthday skirmish when it's pissing it down with rain, there's not a single leaf of cover and its pitch black when you have to leave the house.

June birthday too, it's awesome. June is the best month for birthdays. Also, I'm feeling manly after shortening a flash hider with the aid of a hack saw (yes, found an old blade in the garage). Felt great.

Also, *suitcase* load of books turned up today. I like books, but don't worry I still frickin' love boobs and boobies.

No customer responses for ages and then I finally get one at work.

And it is from the nice ones that know what they are doing while not asking stupid questions, yay!

Also setting up the targets around the flat for some pistol practice tonight. Going to be awesome.

'FireKnife'

Hmm... PPK/s... I have non-Umarexed Maruzen movie prop, and am trying to find a holster setup for the pistol, silencer and maybe couple extra magazines, rocking it SIS style... :D

Most people still know that as MI6, not SIS :P.

Though given that the new Bonds seem to be trending away from the suppressor and into it being more a primary pistol I am thinking holster, PPK/S and somewhere to put the magazines that isn't a suit jacket pocket.

Saying that they do seem to be a bit confused about where to put the holster on Craig's Bond. In CR he had the P99 either shoved under his arm in a coat at the beginning, in a Vega IWB or hidden in his car or an envelope. In QoS it was in his waistband in either an OWB or IWB holster from what I recall and in Skyfall it starts in a shoulder holster but I think he pulls it from his waist when taking it out in London. So yeah anything goes :D.

Went a bit off track there but then that is making me happy that I can do the Bond look with an IWB and get away with it. Now to dye my hair a bit blond and be glad I have blue eyes ;).

'FireKnife'

Most people still know that as MI6, not SIS :P.

Though given that the new Bonds seem to be trending away from the suppressor and into it being more a primary pistol I am thinking holster, PPK/S and somewhere to put the magazines that isn't a suit jacket pocket.

Saying that they do seem to be a bit confused about where to put the holster on Craig's Bond. In CR he had the P99 either shoved under his arm in a coat at the beginning, in a Vega IWB or hidden in his car or an envelope. In QoS it was in his waistband in either an OWB or IWB holster from what I recall and in Skyfall it starts in a shoulder holster but I think he pulls it from his waist when taking it out in London. So yeah anything goes :D.

Went a bit off track there but then that is making me happy that I can do the Bond look with an IWB and get away with it. Now to dye my hair a bit blond and be glad I have blue eyes ;).

'FireKnife'

Well, I'm an intelligence and security agency trivia junkie... :D MI6 is -way old- from WWi era. :D

I have a leather OWB holster for PPK that I can use. The problem is mag pouches and where to put the silencer in case someone wants a photo like that.

Of course, if I was doing any intelligence Officer loadout, I'd be so very tempted to go for that still-running section fo SOE, The Capital Laundry Services... :D Not Howard, tho, I don't think I have the right combination of horrified and jaded to pass it off. And I'd have to shave my moustache. :D

True but Bond is still put as being part of MI6. I think they even call it that in Skyfall :P.

Well the suppressor could be put in a coat pocket or some such. They never really showed Bond carrying anything more than a PPK and rarely the odd spare magazine (leading to moments like in TND were Bond uses up all 7 of his rounds killing a guard in the printing press and then has to discard it). In fact it seems that in some spy novels and films they were expected to do the Jason Bourne thing of beat up / kill someone, take their better gun and use that.

My limits though are Bond and that is about it. Though I am tempted to do a loadout with my 1930s looking commercial 1911 and PPK/S. Bond used a 1911 and kept one in his car, alluded to as it is both called 'Long Barrel' (both the Government and Commander existed back then) and it is mentioned as having a 'safety' that is 'put up' in From A View To a Kill (Fleming didn't make the common revolvers have safties mistake) and the PPK/S is as close as I am going to get at the moment. This again makes me happy.

'FireKnife'

Fleming was a bit of a dolt with guns, not having really used any. He got chewed out by an armourer after the first book, and that armourer ended up 'becoming' Q in the Fleming novels. (Boothroyd)

Fleming had only carried that sissy Beretta for self-defence while in Portugal, I think, so it was waht he gave to Bond.

An interesting take on Bond that I came across was in a french (although I got the Finnish translations) comic 'Tigresse blanche', where a Bond-like guy drawn after Craig's looks is a newly-absorbed asset from SOE post-War. And his methods are MUCH more of SOE than SIS; the style really fits Bond's theme as well, SIS would be intelligence gatherers, while SOE would be the ones who go in, shoot enemies of the Crown full of holes, and bring back whatever exploitable intel they might recognize as collateral.

And what the heck happened in middle of this reply... Weird, the editor doesn't seem to actually actuate any font changes...

I don't know, Fleming was not the worst when it came to firearms in his books though he did note that he didn't know that much.

He still got revolvers right though and even mentioned in Live and Let Die that the Beretta 418 in .25 with a sanded down front sight would be useless to aim and even incapacitate when firing over the distance of a small warehouse.

Though the idea of putting a PPK in a holster made for revolvers was a daft move. There is also a lot of debate on the ".45 Colt Army Long Barrel Special" or what ever it was called but the facts are there that it is a 1911 so I am sure I can work that into my loadout too :P. Plus I am going for more of a classic Bond look, the idea of tie-less shirts and modern looks just doesn't do it for me (even all my favourite pistols are classics :D).

'FireKnife'

We have already spawned once, she's an April baby, so I'm fully accepting of no sleeps...

More Happy, I'm going to be made a full time, proper permanent member of "Noir Horsey" telephone banking! As opposed to the temping I've been doing the last year...

So, benefits and increased pay cheque.

Get in!

Archived