Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turns out that my plan to make a plasma cannon prop styled after the Winchester P94 from Fallout games can be easily achieved with a lot of five quid bits. 2/3 scale M249 springer for the main body? Five quid! Three feet of aluminium C-beam for structural support? Five quid! Squirt gun I need for a large enough tank, coming with a nice barrel base? Five quid! Busted joystick for 8-bit computers that will serve as the trigger? Five quid! Arduino to run the lightshow? Five quid!

That, and I managed to save 100 quid at the end of the month, which means I can buy myself a nice new GTX 970.

Flatmate had a bunch of kit come in, including a massive Surefire light and PEQ.

So naturally we stuck the mahoosive torch and PEQ onto my SMG8, along with grippod and a 3-9X scope and dual tail switch on the top rail.

Will post pic of the abomination later

I want a peq box to gut and turn into a predator style laser sight. Same for an LAM for a Socom

Hitting deer is worse they can kill almost any vehicle I swear to god.

I have finally dropped the gas gun in for repair and I have found the gorgeous 416 rear sight and found a shop where I can get the final part to fix my age so today has been great.

Turns out that my plan to make a plasma cannon prop styled after the Winchester P94 from Fallout games can be easily achieved with a lot of five quid bits. 2/3 scale M249 springer for the main body? Five quid! Three feet of aluminium C-beam for structural support? Five quid! Squirt gun I need for a large enough tank, coming with a nice barrel base? Five quid! Busted joystick for 8-bit computers that will serve as the trigger? Five quid! Arduino to run the lightshow? Five quid!

That, and I managed to save 100 quid at the end of the month, which means I can buy myself a nice new GTX 970.

Plector labs, blaster core.

I hit a few deer in my days, county roads(dirt roads between towns), one deer jumped off the hood( bonnet) with a broken leg and landed 8 feet up in a tree.

Called a friend with a rifle and had some "free" deer. Not bad for a night of drinking.

Most of my deer hits have been them hitting the side of the car, tire of my truck. Had to get a new tire that day.

Dude, that's eighty five euros. It's absolutely nuts and it fits the bill, especially with FNV plasma caster sounds being available on the Fallout wiki, but it's crazy expensive!

But you can do a shipload of things with it and leds.

You can usually find old versions on eBay or fx-sabers.com

Got my first pay cheque from my American clients today.  Half my packet, plus a cheeky couple of $100 bills on top because I'm doing such a good job (allegedly).

Woohoo!  It's great when you can turn a hobby into a job.

Darkchild

Great stuff, now go write a Terminator story. You know it makes sense.

If you offer a signing service for the book (when it comes out), count me in.

Are you on any writing forums darkchild?  I have a bunch of ideas partially written down for novels, screen plays e.t.c. but unsure of how to properly go about it.  All I've done really is looked through film scripts to see how stuff is laid out.

Screen plays; rule of thumb is a page a minute. That's one rule I know of. With stories it depends on you. Some people just write and see where it takes them (normally 2 thousand words a day), or have a few plot points and stick them on a board and set it out like that. There's a fair few ways to writing a novel.

Best stick to either a novel or script. Then go from there. Lock yourself away for a few hours a day (if possible) and type/write. You can always edit later.

But you can do a shipload of things with it and leds.

You can usually find old versions on eBay or fx-sabers.com

Mate, I just bought an Arduino and a SD card shield for a princely sum of... seven quid. That and I'm not sure whether I could program the blaster board to do the fade in/fade out trick I have in mind.

Mate, I just bought an Arduino and a SD card shield for a princely sum of... seven quid. That and I'm not sure whether I could program the blaster board to do the fade in/fade out trick I have in mind.

There are folks that can make any sound set you want. The price is high but its hand made last I knew.

They hang out at www.fx-sabers.com

Are you on any writing forums darkchild?  I have a bunch of ideas partially written down for novels, screen plays e.t.c. but unsure of how to properly go about it.  All I've done really is looked through film scripts to see how stuff is laid out.

I was on a writing forum, but I found little use for it tbh.  

This is the one I was on, they are very helpful towards new writers.

https://www.sffchronicles.com/

If I can help you with anything, send me a PM.

Darkchild

There are folks that can make any sound set you want. The price is high but its hand made last I knew.

They hang out at www.fx-sabers.com

It's not about the sound, it's about the lights. Sounds I can rip from the Fallout wikia or one of the sites that keep Halo 4 gun sounds for some strange reason. But the manual for Plecter's blaster board doesn't mention any way to have the lights dim, then slowly brighten back up after a shot.

However, I just found a great idea for the blaster board. Doll up a SL8 AEG to look like a railgun of some sort, then rig the blaster board trigger circuit to the SL8's motor. With some more jiggery-pokery to put a switch in the magwell and in some weird way that interacts with the selector, you're gonna have a Weapon of Massive Distraction.

I was on a writing forum, but I found little use for it tbh.

This is the one I was on, they are very helpful towards new writers.

https://www.sffchronicles.com/

If I can help you with anything, send me a PM.

Darkchild

How are you getting people to actually look at your work? I have a fair few things sat there just don't seem to get any response to what I have sent out, was meant to have a contract to work with another writer but that's been full of drama and fail as she's pushed it onto the back burner for another project.

Do you have any recommendations on agencies or publishing houses to contact? I have some stuff already finished first draft but to be honest would be happy with working on other people's ideas or writing based on solicitation. I just need something to do while I'm ill and tired and writing does kind of fit the bill.

I haven't gone through publishers.  I'm a member of an indie game developers forum, and became friends with a few of the game devs on there.  They read my self published work on Amazon and commissioned me on the strength of that.

I have yet to approach a publisher with my work, but so far I haven't needed to.  

I think I'll try and get my next complete novel published, after a get the conclusion to my novella series out of the way.

Darkchild

It's not about the sound, it's about the lights. Sounds I can rip from the Fallout wikia or one of the sites that keep Halo 4 gun sounds for some strange reason. But the manual for Plecter's blaster board doesn't mention any way to have the lights dim, then slowly brighten back up after a shot.

However, I just found a great idea for the blaster board. Doll up a SL8 AEG to look like a railgun of some sort, then rig the blaster board trigger circuit to the SL8's motor. With some more jiggery-pokery to put a switch in the magwell and in some weird way that interacts with the selector, you're gonna have a Weapon of Massive Distraction.

You should be able to adjust that, I know you can on the saber core.

Managed to get an outer barrel sorted for my 416 Assault upper (flatmate spent ages filing down the other WE barrel we had in the house and he's going to take the one he hulked). AAC flash hider/ suppressor shimmed.

It now looks the part barring some minor cosmetic surgery. And all my bits for the internals have been ordered, just waiting for Scope and Laser to get back to me.

Archived