Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PC is getting a refresh.

My current stuff is noisy AF and a bit last gen so the existing MoBo is getting turned into a NAS, it's an AM3+ board so I found an Athlon II X2 170u on ebay for £15.

It's 20W, I'll sick a passive cooler on it, undervolt it and probably use unraid to power the box, I have a load of 60GB SSDs laying around so I can have OS and cache SSDs and I have a hot swap 5 drive thingy that lives in 3 x 5.25" drive bays.

Handily I also have 5 x 3.5" 1TB drives sitting around (3 in my current storage RAID and 2 others).

That MoBo has 16GB of RAM on it too that I can't put on the new MoBo so the NAS will run nicely, I might even put the NAS OS in a RAM drive.

That takes me to my new PC.

I am cleaning up the inside of the machine, currently my PC has 3 HDDs (RAID), 3 SATA SSDs (2 in RAID) and 1 PCIe card with an M.2 NVMe drive on it.

The M.2 is a replacement for an old OCZ Revodrive and they were 2 SSDs in RAID - naturally.

That meant that my computer had to run through 3 separate RAID system checks in POST, and it took forever.

The new stuff it this:

MSI Z170A M5 MoBo with 16GB of quad channel DDR4 and an i7 6700K.

It has 2 x M.2 slots on the motherboard each with NVMe support in the BIOS and 4 PCIe lanes.

That means I can have an OS drive and a Steam drive both running at up to 32GB/s.

I will have no other drives in the box, all the other stuff will be on the NAS so I will have no SATA cables (power or data) in the whole thing.

I will keep using my old graphics cards until the new Polaris stuff comes out with the HBM2.

Basically, when Polaris comes out I will be ready for VR if I can be bothered.

Pretty exciting...

I miss having a good quality gaming PC...

Mine is OK.

It lasted nearly 6 years on its processor/MoBo.  Games just aren't increasing in technical demand as fast recently.

I blame consoles making people think that 720p or 1080p at 30fps is actually good.

I started out being able to play most things on my 5760x1080 triple monitor setup at decent graphics fidelity and anything on max at 1920x1080, never dropping below 60fps.

I want to be able to do 4K at 100+ fps with this new setup.  I think I have the MoBo, drives, RAM and Processor to do it, I am just waiting to see what happens this year with GPUs.

^so...

That post might as well have been in mandarin for my understanding of it :(

Ask me any question you like.

Learn about computers, enrich your life.

Do the opposite to your bank balance.

What thickness are those little SSDs stunt? Could do with one for my netbook...

They are about the same thickness as laptop mini PCIe mSATA drive and some laptops will allow you to put them in the same type of slot you get WiFi cards in.

The Samsung 950 are a 2280 size meaning they are 22mm wide and 80 long and won't fit in most laptops.

You will probably need a 2242 which is about the same size as the small mSATA slots in laptops.

That is assuming your MoBo/BIOS is compatible.

I got a Sandisk SSD a few weeks ago. Around 7mm thick.

I think he meant the M.2 one.

If not then yes, they are around that. Typically 7, 8 or 9 mm.

Depends on the manufacturer.

Needs more clips of excitement.

I love answering questions with 'to the best of my knowledge, yes'. It gives me an odd feeling of being mischievous in a child like way. Like when you know what a person really means, but you still take what they say literally and answer accordingly (much to their annoyance).

Also, Transformers:Headmasters is my new toy high.

Potato quality but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGG26ZCvHU4

Anyway.

Does anyone on here want:

A Corsair H80 closed loop water cooler (AM3+)

AMD AM3+ Phenom X6 6100 processor

Powercolour Radeon HD6950 (dual BIOS flashable to HD6970) bone stock.

PCI-e 1x dual USB2 expansion card.

If you have an oldish AM3+ MoBo it might represent a decent upgrade.

Most current games will work on average settings.

Archived