Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

This Inforce WMLx is soooo amazing!

Why didn't I buy it before? it's all I ever wanted ( with the 18something rechargeable battery instead of the 2xCR123 )

Outside I can use 2xCR123 for the full 500 lumen, inside that 18 something cell and have a reduced output but a prolonged use!

<3 Inforce 

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I've insulated the floor of my house with PUR, now waiting for the floor heating kit to arrive. They will cover that up with something we call 'Chape' here in Belgium. A cement-y crumbly foundation later of 50mm to lay your tiles or other floor covering on.
Next week, my contractor will FINALLY try and search for the leaks in the roof.

It's been a huge project, certainly on my own, but it's starting to take shape.
It needs to be liveable by May, but I'm hopeful. Electric, water and sanitary installation ( cable and tube work ) is done, so perhaps I'll have water and electricity by my birthday in april?

Modern underfloor heating has a much lower running cost as you aren't heating the system up to 70ish degrees in an attempt to throw heat from the radiator across the whole room. For underfloor 25 is usually ample.

Also, you don't get limited on your room layout by where the bloody radiators are.

It's *suitcase* if you have decent carpet though.

Underfloor heating is great.  If you're heating up a slab, you have a massive thermal mass that uses less energy to heat up and gives off heat uniformly across a room hours after it's turned off.  Hook it up to some PVs and you're sorted.

I live in the UK capital of warm air (the no1 uk manufacturer of it is based here). And even our council have all but ripped it all out and put in conventional wet systems.

Domestic warm air heating is so unhealthy it's not even funny.

They will cover that up with something we call 'Chape' here in Belgium. A cement-y crumbly foundation later of 50mm to lay your tiles or other floor covering on.

We call that a screed.

Underfloor heating is fairly modern.

The Romans used it...

Why heat a massive slab of aggregate to then heat a room?

Apologies, nothing personal - honestly - but I see it as a folly.

Underfloor heating is great.  If you're heating up a slab, you have a massive thermal mass that uses less energy to heat up and gives off heat uniformly across a room hours after it's turned off.  Hook it up to some PVs and you're sorted.

What he said.

But said slab is also losing heat to a massive thermal sink known as the planet earth.

It's also not instant, it takes an age to heat up, so if it's cold you don't get warm for ages. I appreciate forward planning will alleviate that, and also it will maintain an ambient temperature if left never a sole source of heat though, it's always complemented with rads...

As for warm air, I've never seen a case of legionnaires. It's a dry system, there is no standing water. My family has been fitting it for nigh on 60 years, and all over the north when councils were wanting them in their new builds in the 60's, so that's literally thousands of installs. Never had a health issue with a client.

I was in that game for years, mostly commercial, but I helped out on the domestics as and when.

They are replacing with wet systems for ease, *albartroth* covering, and lack of warm air engineers.

Why unhealthy?

Fungal spores and airborne germs mostly. If one room gets it, the whole house does.

We had a load of cases of mould because of *suitcasey* filters, which council tenants don't tend to keep cleaned correctly if checked at all.

But said slab is also losing heat to a massive thermal sink known as the planet earth.

It's also not instant, it takes an age to heat up, so if it's cold you don't get warm for ages. I appreciate forward planning will alleviate that, and also it will maintain an ambient temperature if left never a sole source of heat though, it's always complemented with rads...

As for warm air, I've never seen a case of legionnaires. It's a dry system, there is no standing water. My family has been fitting it for nigh on 60 years, and all over the north when councils were wanting them in their new builds in the 60's, so that's literally thousands of installs. Never had a health issue with a client.

My bottom ground has been shielded with 70mm PUR, then concrete and then said PUR layer again ( 50mm) on which the heating is fastened. You cannot lay floorheating without insulating the ground/foundation underneath. They just won't do it. So the heat gets reflected upwards anyway.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

So maintenance is the key, that's not the fault of the system :)

I've never seen a fungal spore issue, nor heard of one in any of our installs.

Lone bullet, I realise insulation goes down first, but to me it will always be a cob way of heating a house.

Each to his own though :)

Well, I suppose, but it is a good way of heating a house. It's pretty much instant, the units run forever on minimal or no maintenance - easily 30+ years - and I've never seen a health issue.

New units are also running around 98% efficient.

I'd have it in my house over a wet system any day.

New wheels arrived for my car.. I went with a matt burnt bronze colour with a wider offset. They look the *badger*s and handling has been slightly improved so win win.. looks a bit like a monster truck now though, maybe I'll have to get coilovers, what a shame!

Oh god the bug has bitten, this is a slippery slope of awesomeness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived