Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

Also, car crashes mostly either wouldn't kill you in any car or would seriously *fruitcage* you up in any car.

There's not that much middle ground.

Plus a kid in a baby seat in the middle of the back seat has all the crumple zone.

Plus, like Delta said, Roll cage.  Put the kid in a helmet hammock.

Also, only one out of you and Mrs Tink needs a safe, reliable car.  You just need a reliable car.

Plus, it is better for the environment (for your kid and everyone else's) to restore an old car than to buy a new one.

Or:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201706166513790

Diesel Skoda Superb with a tow bar and a 2.5l V6 so you can tow the Corrado/donor engines about.

Or, this one:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201706136393871

The paint has a few love taps but it is an estate.  You will have to buy your own tow bar.

If only you knew a guy who could get parts cheap.

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sold, but convincing Mrs Tink is a much harder job.

Still, i've got two ish years before any tiny baby Tinks will be wandering around, so corrado homecoming is still a possibility. 

EDIT AFTER SEEING STUNTS POST:

Yeah, you know the buttons to push.

Sadly neither of our daily drivers are exactly top notch, and hers is worse off than mine.

Also, she'd never drive a superb. far too big for her to be comfortable with (fnar). 

I'm totally going to have one as a dad-wagon later on though. 

Baby Tinks are unlikely to be tiny.

Two years is literally forever.  Don't worry about that *suitcase* now.

Get the money, put a decent (1500 - 2000) deposit on a leased UP! or Citigo and spend the rest on the Corrado.

You won't lose money on the lease because you will likely get a 0% deal if you look about so at the end of the three years you just give it back and get another.

I got mine with the servicing and a Skoda cycling shirt thrown in.

They are safe, use no fuel and are Mrs Tink approved tiny whilst also still having enough room in it for giants.

I can sit behind the wife and we are both over 6 feet tall.

The engine is gutless but it doesn't matter because you'll have the Corrado and if you rag the out of it you get a nice sound when you change from 1st to 2nd.

Leasing a commodity car is the solution for car enthusiasts.

You get your special baby and your partner gets a car that meets their frankly insane needs (small, green, safe, comfy, cheap, reliable and other such boring adjectives).

Hopefully we will be a two car household soon. One 37 year old rusty piece of and a shiny Skoda.  Enough to keep both Stunts happy.

Diesel Skoda Superb with a tow bar and a 2.5l V6 so you can tow the Corrado/donor engines about.

...they put this sort of engine in a Skoda, of all things?! I haven't expected anything bigger than 2L in an European car...

What do you mean Mike?  There are tonnes of 2L+ cars from the likes of Audi, BMW, Merc, VW, Alfa, Aston, Jag, Land Rover, McClaren, Porsche, Volvo e.t.c.

And, yes, I know some of those are not strictly European.

Basically Tink.. the Mrs doesn't know she's convinced until the deed has been done and she's driven it and pressed that instant smile button people call the throttle.

It'll all be fiiiiine! And I would repeat all of Stunts comments above, all very valid points!

What do you mean Mike?  There are tonnes of 2L+ cars from the likes of Audi, BMW, Merc, VW, Alfa, Aston, Jag, Land Rover, McClaren, Porsche, Volvo e.t.c.

And, yes, I know some of those are not strictly European.

Well, I'm surprised because everyone's harping on the EU's eco-lunacy, emissions, yadda yadda, and suddenly boom, a Skoda (of all things!) with a 2L+ engine. A Mercedes or BMW (or one of those bigger/faster Audis), or any offroader I could understand, but Skodas, Seats, VWs and the like are wheezy rollerskates to me.

Well, I'm surprised because everyone's harping on the EU's eco-lunacy, emissions, yadda yadda, and suddenly boom, a Skoda (of all things!) with a 2L+ engine. A Mercedes or BMW (or one of those bigger/faster Audis), or any offroader I could understand, but Skodas, Seats, VWs and the like are wheezy rollerskates to me.

EU BASTARDS MAKING OUR AIR CLEANER SO OUR CHILDREN DON'T GET LUNG CANCER AND ENDING ROAMING FEES AND MAKING THINGS CHEAPER AND GIVING US ACCESS TO CHEAPER FOOD WITH A WIDER RANGE OF OPTIONS *fruitcage* EU GIVE ME MY BENDY BLUE PASSPORTS BACK ENGERLAND ENGERLAND ENGERLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND

The Citroen Xantia came in a 3L V6 automatic flavour in the UK, and a 2.1 diesel (that was sooooooo boring compared to the 1.9TD).

Over on the continent you lucky fellows even got a 3L V6 Xantia Activa without having to chop up a V6 Xantia, a 406 Coupé and a 2.0L Activa* just to build one car, damn you PSA, damn you to heck, the 406 Coupé should have been an Activa Coupé and they knew it!

Sorry, don't know what came over me.

*In the UK the Activa was only available with a 2.0L 150BHP TCT petrol engine; built for torque so it drove like a diesel, without the fuel economy. I think I managed 19mpg (15L/100km - what kind of backwards fuel economy unit is that???)

19 MPG lol.  That's performance car, 4.0L+ territory heh. 

That was doing a constant 56mph from Luton to Chelmsford most of the way. The exhaust manifold was leaking a bit at the time (as was the heater matrix - which would sometimes blow mist out of the vents) but even after fixing that it didn't make a difference.

It was a fixer-upper called Juliet that really needed some TLC. The anti-roll linkage was seized in one direction so at first she would sort of throw you off roundabouts. Once we put it all right she was such a lovely ride, soft and relaxing in the straight, then welded to rails when going around corners. Living in MK with all the roundabouts was a dream. There was terrible rust up inside the n/s rear quarter, eating it's way through to the boot. Sold her for about the same as I bought her for 6 years earlier, so she lived out the rest of her days on the track.

The 2.1TD I had was Dex, pulled like a locomotive, and accelerated at about the same rate. It had an electronic fuel pump so you'd put your foot down and the car would dictate how quickly it was going to accelerate (not quickly). Around town I'd get 30mpg although the person I sold him to used to average 50mpg, but then from his 3L V6 he gets about 36mpg.

Jenny and Cassy were my favourites with their 1.9TDs, you could tweak the fuelling and turbo's wastegate. They also ran on vegetable oil and Cassy did 45mpg with a leaking fuel pump all the way up to Whitby and back with 4 adults, a Labrador and a roof box.

Need to get Jenny MoT'd and sold.

I just got reacquainted with the Ghostbusters cartoon as it's on Netflix.

Rekindled my need for a replica proton pack.

ghostbusters? nope...... no idea what a proton pack is.... *ahem* ;)

(although to be honest i have been contemplating making one of the RGB proton packs for a while ;) )

post-37-0-37476600-1498501613_thumb.jpg

ghostbusters? nope...... no idea what a proton pack is.... *ahem* ;)

(although to be honest i have been contemplating making one of the RGB proton packs for a while ;) )

That's so awesome.

Other half wants us to have a setup each. Of course she wants one from the new film. She loved the crazy one with the blonde hair.

Obviously, I did too. For very different reasons.

pinz-gauer is a goer?

Maybe, I won't know until about the 9th.

It's just unfortunate that I have to be in Devon at the moment.

...they put this sort of engine in a Skoda, of all things?! I haven't expected anything bigger than 2L in an European car...

It is the Superb though.

That thing won the Top Gear luxury car of the year award.

3l 6cyl diesels are fairly common in the executive type car.

Performance stuff tends to be between 1.6 and 2.5 4cyl and turbo.

My daily is a 1l 3cyl that gets a billion miles to the litre,

Yes but I'm trying to reduce outgoings, and leasing a car would not help that.

It might.

I pay 91 quid a month, insurance is about £140 and tax is £0.

Might go up to £20 though.

Also, if you get a bit of cash, it might be a good time to refresh your computer.  Perhaps to something like a 6600K on Z170a with about 16Gb of RAM.

If only you knew someone who would sell you a system like that at mate's rates.

Archived