Medical precautions

Lone_Bullet

hi,

Last game I've really hurt my lower back in a reflex reaction. I was running one way, got shot at and tried to instantly sprint back.

Could only walk very slowly like a cripple to the safety. 2 days ago now and going better, but not quite normal yet.

Since I have the tendency to hurt myself ( I've dislocated my left shoulder last year in a reflex reaction to push myself up with one arm from prone position into standing position :P ), I'd like ... advice.

I know, I know... Hit the gym, right? Solidify and strengthen my muscles around joints. But it seelf that doesn't quit do it when you're panicking.

So, any of you guys do a warm up? Wear something like a brace for weak joints like wrists and back? Have some precaution against mechanical and muscular injuries? ( I have high boots, that's covered )

Or... am I just a weakling there? :)

Not overloaded, Jimmy, I only pack a Camelbak Delta 5 with 1,5L water, 7 PMags and KWA SR10 AEG. About it. Even no sidearm. Pretty light eh?

Problem is, the better you're muscled, the worse your injuries are going to be! So what I ment to say is, Gym doesn't do me any good. ( Physiotherapist told me )

And the thought my body is giving up on my is unbearable. I've always been a quite healthy chap. I used to run, I bike, I'm ... quite energetic. Till recently it seems. getting 26 isn't that old right?...right? :P

I can't believe I'm the only one hurting himself having fun? :)

I have, on occasion, used knee and wrist supports when I have been having issues with them. I believe the good doctor pah76 or whatever he is called on here uses a knee support too as he ballsed up something in in knee whilst playing rugby ( so he claims, might be from ballet) a few years back.

It's all part of your prep, sunscreen, or bug spray. Alergy pills or meds for a chronic condtion. Knee, or ankle braces,

Most of my prep consists of making sure I'm hydrated, and then after game continuing to hydrate. Then in the hot hot weather using some of the sport nuturition drinks or gel packs.

I stretch after all physical activity (I do a fair amount of sport/other activities) including airsoft as it helps to break down lactic acid in your muscles it stops your aching and tightening up the next day. Also it lessens the likelihood of injury.

I have had a few airsoft related injuries since I have started playing but only bruises, scraps, twisted ankles.

Stretch after exercise, not before. I'm told by my PTIs (who are more qualified to speak than I am) that stretching before exercise makes very little if not no difference at all.

I knew it.. lol. It feels amazing to stretch after lifting.

The most important pre game ritual for me is getting solid.

So, lots of oatmeal, bran, fruits and vegetables the two days before and on the day of the game.

Then I can go back to my regular Taco Bell diet.

Alright, I've asked around ( girlfriend is a physiotherapist ;) ) and lots of people recommend swimming for starters since its hard to get injures from swimming but you're strengthening muscles and joints as you go.

Then running and a little lifting. And if I feel I could handle it, running with weights in hands. Indeed, watch my diet and get my vitamins ( I thought I did :s ).

I shouldn't concentrate on power training and lifting on itself because it's quite stressful for the joints. Can't do that in my state, it seems. :(

So a lot has been stated before, though you need to be careful to to be overenthusiastic in training.

Thanks for the advice!

I suffer from knee issues.

I try to avoid getting involved in play with heavy props (LAC have replica missiles to play with) i try not to run about too much, although sometimes just get stuck in and suffer later.

After trying out an M14 (wanted an SLR really) i see no benefit to having a heavy AEG over a lighter AEG that has the same insides and power level, so a tricked up SMG is still going to be lighter than a basic M14.

I now only do woodland so cover lots of ground during a day, i go as light as i can.

MX braces have been mentioned already. The brand SIXSIXONE or 661 make many and not too costly. I use there wrist braces for work, they do shoulder braces, knee and ankle braces/supports. Shoulder braces are a faff to use and get on, but they sound comfy to wear, sweaty in the summer, i do bike racing, shoulders are a common injury when you hit a tree. The braces are low profile and help a lot, last thing you want is your shoulder to pop out mid race run as your hanging on to a bike at speed :)

I will be getting some knee braces/supports this year to see if that helps.

I am 40+ old enough to know better, have done both shoulders and have a genetic defect with my knees. You just need to stay within your own limits and adapt a style of play.

I can't really chase down teenagers, they can outrun me (not all the time) so i am working on a quieter AEG, and more stealth.

• 1 month later...

Just actually finished physical therapy for my lower back. In my case it was all about strengthening my core muscles that stabilize the back. One of the better things you can do is the plank and side plank exercise as well as bridging. Basically I would look for core strengthening exercises, and maybe ice it after games.

I had a couple of old American football and power lifting injuries that never healed right. Basically the larger muscles were supporting and pulling on the smaller ones when it should have been the other way around.

I was even asked by the doctor to flex my lower abdomen muscles and I didn't know how to. Felt like I was learning to walk again.

The back can be a tricky thing. It supports your whole body and you don't realize how much you use it until your stuck on the ground.

Also pay attention to it. I like to tough things out, but you can't let your ego get in the way of what your body is trying to tell you.

Hwagan, you don't injure yourself because you never need to exert yourself! You seem to have an uncanny knack for being in the right place, at the right time, at the right range (Ie: out of enemy's range) and aiming in the right direction. To say I'm jealous is an understatement. xD

On topic though: cardio exercise such as cycling or running (not on tarmac, that destroys knee joints over time) with reasonable amounts of stretching pre and post exercising will see your general fitness and conditioning get better over time. My physio prescribed me resting and just strecthing for a knee problem (lateral collateral ligament strain) and light cardio exercise commencing 2 weeks after the strain was diagnosed. As long as I minimise the weight of my gear in the field (I was carrying about 12kg not including weapon weight), stretch before and after exerceise, I have no complaints.

Archived