Blog: Magpul PTS announces the PDR AEG

talon_0315

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't they have at least given us a rough ETA, so we can know if it'll be months or years?

Actually, I rather they didn't. The only time they should be giving an ETA is when they've got the product -done- and manufacturing has begun. I'm not surprised that Magpul PTS's delaying it. They know a lot of people are looking forward to this release, and they don't want to disappoint. The Masada was a good release, but I'd like to think they learned some lessons from that and will apply it to the PDR.

And I'd like to think they're going to make a bit more room in the pistol grip for a slightly larger (or longer) battery.

I've been waiting for this baby since it was first announced... And I'll be waiting till I got it in my hands))))

Hope, it will be possible to use LiFe batteries with this AEG. And looking forward to a great degree of compatibility with the standard internal parts.

• 1 month later...

Once more, much time has passed, nothing new on this?

Fast poke at their facebook-wall gave me nothing on it. I must admit i suck at this "facebooking" -stuff and thus avoid-hate it.

Last time it was going thru final testing or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Magpul PTS put a picture up on its Facebook page (PTS by Magpul) about 16 hours ago with this photo and the comment "Watch Out! It's coming soon..."

Still waiting... I guess realistically we'll have to wait until something like Easter 2013... #sigh

At least PTS will keep the threaded barrel!

Time to get excited....!!!! Someone else spotted a released pic on Redwolf and the PTS Facebook pages!!

http://en-gb.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151246838393950&set=a.56852898949.64773.17117533949&type=1&theater

This echigoya blog post informs that it should be released either Dec or Jan!

http://echigoyakitakyuusyuu.militaryblog.jp/e381736.html

Found this Japanese store taking advanced orders for 38,300 yen which is roughly £290...

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.airgunmarket.jp/SHOP/magpul_pts_pdr.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmagpul%2Bpdr%2Bpts%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DX%26tbo%3Dd%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D672%26tbs%3Dqdr:w&sa=X&ei=8C6yUIOFNYSUtAa8yICABw&ved=0CFAQ7gEwBA

(Never heard of this store, but it looks like things are hotting up!! I just hope they don't take as long as the KWA Kriss Vector!)

A telling part was 2 minutes into the film, the tester said hopefully it will be available by the end of the year.

Another voice who was not on camera but I assumed he was a Magpul PTS rep (as he was answering questions from the tester) said "yes, it will be soon" in a brush off kinda way.

:rolleyes:

Couple more videos from the PTS FPG day which showcased the PDR to the main Hong Kong retailers:

ehobbyasia vid:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=H7sHvt_3_0Y

This one is in Cantonese but the PTS man Albert seems to let slip that the PDR should be a little cheaper than we thought... (at least in HK!)

So much win on these videos, thanks so much for sharing :D

Crucial points:

Should be available sometime December 2012

Should retail for under HKD3000 (that's if you buy from a HK shop)

First production run completely sold out, HK will have limited stock, a lot of production seems allocated to overseas markets

Inner barrel is 10.5 inch

Lots of accessories planned specifically for it

There will be a specific scope designed for it with a "well known" manufacturer on board (RS??????)

Currently will only fit the shortest and slimmest 7.4v lipos, there will be a pistol grip extender later on

I'm looking for a CQB weapon when i move to UK and this looks like the perfect addition to my collection. The only thing i am skeptical to is the gear box. Will it be as ###### as the ACR, and will it be a none standard gearbox version, making upgrades tricky. Also will it use a completely new hop up system that gets damaged easily like the ACR.

Then it is the challenges of a bullpop in airsoft. I love most aspects of bullpop but single is weak if your in a single only scenario. Spamming single shoots is not ideal on a Steyr aug. Hopefully this PDR uses a micro trigger placed in the front.

Anyone know if there i any releases of Gearbox info, or technical info of any sort available?

Edit:

Ok, i read a bit more in this topics and found that it will be a propitiatory gearbox, in other words hard and expensive to get upgrades, and replacement parts.

It will have a single and fullauto in the trigger making the gun bad for single only games. Really bad solution on my Steyr aug. It works for sniper/assault rifle setups, but CQB if fails.

I can entirely understand why they'd faithfully recreate the 2-stage trigger of the real thing, but I do feel somewhat saddened by it. It's the ideal CQB skirmishing gun... but everywhere I might ever play CQB has strict semi-only rules in most areas and I'm just not willing to take the risk.

It would still be a good woodland gun being a bullpup and all, but it's just so ideal for CQB. It's like cooking the most amazing delicious soup, then being told you have to eat it with a fork.

You could probably put a set screw in there internally to limit the trigger pull travel to make it semi only.

As for internals, the gearbox shell is indeed proprietary but the high wear parts are commonly available parts. And like the ACR, the gearbox shell will be available as a replacement part at some point.

The trigger delay is in large part due to the 7.4Volt battery they used to demo the gun. It was pretty snappy on the T&E sample I had running on 11.1V.

Yeah, it's made by ARES, so it's the same "We use a microswitch instead of trigger contacts which is a good idea but then we put a *suitcasey* microswitch in there which is only rated for 20-25A and our motors draw about 30-35A spikes during the start of the cycle lol". Hence the less than spectacular RoF.

That being said, slap a mosfet in there and the microswitch will give you pretty decent trigger response, assuming the transfer mechanism isn't *suitcase*.

Archived