Sniping without hop

Sallinen

Didnt find a topic dedicated to this, so I made a new one.

So, is there anybody out there who doesnt use hop up when using a sniper rifle?

I currently have a ongoing sniper project and the regular hopup is awful and fabricating a new one will be either tough or pricey. So I thought I'd give this a try and try setting my gun to shoot .40 BBs at 140-150 m/ps with a easily "calculatable" trajectory without a hopup, no spin at all. Then just shoot and shoot on head sized targets until its grown a habit on me. Some low magnification scope with a good crosshair to estimate distances would be on shopping list also.

The max distance of engagement as my goal would be no farther than 60 meters, but with spot-on accuracy and silent weapon. Minimum engagement distance would be 20 meters.

One thing to adjust the trajectory would be the different centering of the inner barrel, ie. turn it a bit up and get a more real gun like trajectory.

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Yes, but this can be compensated with moving the gun, like real firearm is when shooting at longer range.

One problem though could be that the gun could require excessive angle to shoot any longer than 40 meters and that the sights viewrange wouldnt be enough to show the target at any longer range.

It's doable but the angle of aim will not be practical, and range will be an issue.

I used to shoot crossbow in 3D field and set range FITA target. The trajectory of a crossbow arrow is very curved indeed at the power levels for Target use.

I had a Horten hunter, nice thumbhole stock, draw length and prod weight came in just under Target limits, i used a custom made multi pin sight with a fixed peep rear. Scopes are not permitted in Target shooting.

Now the interesting bit. The Horten had a rear scope rail/mount that had a dial-able tilt to over come the limits of Scope not being able to cope with the flight path/trajectory. You just alter angle of tilt for desired range.

It may be possible to create you own adjustable scope mount. It would be a lot of work, and may not work.

Many would say just save up and get a VSR, or try to make your own hop work better. You haven't mentioned what rifle you are using.

Well, my base rifle is what I havent found out yet either Bell or Tanaka M700, which was sold to me as a KJW :D

I have had a VSR and it isnt going to serve the purpose of the rifle Im going to build.

I am building a bullpup sniper rifle with the said base gun as the way to propel the BB. I have thought about ordering a M16 hop up chamber with R-hop if the guy is willing to do one for me. The gun will be used on HPA so the cooldown is no issue. The gun would use MP7 short mags.

I already have everything needed but hop-up is still a question.

One possibility would be to center the barrel to imitate LRB effect...

As I'm not much of a sketch artist, I decided that a photo could tell more than I can. What I do tend to take its final form during the process of making it. In this picture I have attached what I have thought as the base "skeleton"´with base "features" I might use the front end of the M700 stock all the way from front end to the area of magazine. As I have a spare G3 trigger lying around, I'll be using it.

post-64595-0-66403200-1327410672_thumb.jpg

White line marks the end of the barrel.

Red box marks the BB channel, The M700 mag will be shallowed to 1 BB per row.

Yellow box marks the 6mm hose for HPA, the final position may differ.

Does the amount of backspin affect the accuracy? As I have lived under thought that hop-up effectively messes up with the accuracy.

E: the goal for this gun would be lightweight, small size, decent accuracy, moderate power and silent weapon to be used a few times during Berget 10. Materials for the stock would be Plywood and possibly fibreglass.

HI, first of all its not really a bullpup design as the working parts are infront of the trigger, not behind, also, the hop-up is probably THE MOST important part of your gun as it is what gives your gun the range that is needed. You have a sniper and so to be able to counter-at an AEG you must have range to compensate for your lack of bb's. If you do what you originally proposed, ie aiming up so the bb has a similar flightpath to a real bullet will really not work and will definitely affect accuracy. You really do need a hop-up on a sniper otherwise, you will reach out to about 20m and ideally as a sniper, want to be reaching a minimum of 60m. Also, another feature of your hop-up is that is stabilises the bb during its flight and so is essential in a sniper.

accuracy comes for consistency. Of parts placement/solid buiding, power(air/gas), airseal, hopup pressure exerted on the round, bb weight size and density distribution.

Hopup will give you the range the goal is to have a hopup that is consistent in where it contacts the bb in the chamber and how much pressure it exerts.

The relationship between where the nozzel places the bb in the chamber is also important.

But most of all it must be consistent.

IPSC airsoft shooters use fixed hopups because they are shooting at known short distances and therefore want top consistency for thier shots. Snipers have less choice about this so have adaptable hops.

There are good/better hopups available for your rifle go have a look in the tanaka thread. you will make great gains with a good hopup unit and a high quality barrel. You have HPA on your side giving you consistent power unlike greengas mags.

The trigger will be in front of the magazine, its just not imaged in the picture. Well the AR pistol grip shows the somewhat direction of pistol grip and trigger.

The lack of BBs is not a problem as I am carrying this as my "3rd" gun with my primary full auto capable gun and secondary pistol.

As for the airseal, it is taken into consideration and will be bettered when the gun itself is somewhat ready.

Does the amount of backspin affect the accuracy? As I have lived under thought that hop-up effectively messes up with the accuracy.

When a hop unit is set up correctly it greatly INCREASES accuracy over a standard smooth bore barrel with no hop. You want hop, you really really want hop.

Unless you are fighting CQB with maximum ranges of 10 yards, you want hop, and even in CQB you have corridors that are longer than that, so you'd want hop there as well.

a 500FPS rifle with no hop will be outranged by a 300fps handgun with hop.

• 2 weeks later...

The only way I can remotly see this working is with low (around 1J) power and a twist barrel. Friend of mine has one it his AEG and its the most accurate AEG I have seen.

However you need about 2 to 3 times the range of this thing and for that you NEED hop.

If you could have something like airgun power levels this would work but clearly thats not possible for safety reasons!

Archived