PDI Hop Chamber ineffective

infected

Picked up a PDI hop chamber, PDI 6.01 VSR length AEG cut barrel, VSR VC cylinder set, and PDI V trigger for a VSR10 pro sniper.

Everything installed, chrono's about 580fps. Tried using various .4g bbs and the hop unit seems to barely effective. Tried with .3g bbs with the hop almost all the way on and it works okay. Anyone out there have better luck with heavier ammo and the PDI V hop?

I had PDI chamber in my L96 two years ago. Good thing. The stock chamber was terrible. If you have VSR-10 I think it was bad idea to change the hop. Everybody says great things about VSR hops. Now, about your problem. I remeber PDI selling different arms for L96 hops. Maybe this is the case here also. Maybe you got low type hands and the dont press your spacer enough? That could be the problem?

Install is correct, and the hop unit is moving the bucking properly. What I did find in the instructions is that this unit was built with a lower fps in mind (can't remember what it was). I'm running this at 580 fps. I've not yet tried .36's as the customer really wanted this gun to run .4g bbs. I've tried putting in a different brand hop rubber with similar results.

To my knowledge there is not a longer hop up arm for this hop unit. It could also be that the nub is too soft? I'll play around with another nub tomorrow, and then if that doesn't work, try a different hop rubber as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Try using a rubber band or two instead of the o-rings that came in the package... heavier rounds need more pressure on the nub and the o-rings can't provide it. If you wrap a good quality rubber band (silicon type) in the slot of your hopup chamber you will get tons of hopup and you will be able to overhop even 0.43g bbs.

This is not my idea... a fellow airsofter suggested/done it but i can't remeber his nickname to give him credit.

I've tried several different hop rubbers, and different hop nubs now, to no avail. I think theosarr is on the right track. I think the bars are able to lift too easily. They should have placed the bands closer to the end of the bar farthest from the pivot point. Question is now where to get some bands that are stiffer than the o-rings supplied with it, but stretch enough to install.

Last night's trial and error installations showed me that the o-rings and their placement on the hopup chamber (even if you achieve the desired pressure level eventually will deform permanently) aren't the only flaws. The nub is too soft for our needs and surely as mentioned from other people you will need something stronger.

Don't get me wrong... the pdi chamber is an excellent product for what it was designed to do! It was ment to be used at low velocity and mass projectiles that are widely (not only) used in Japan.

To sum it up, i used two small rubber bands wrapped twice in the o-ring slots... installed a r-hop patch with a harder (solid piece of cylindrical plastic) nub and i am overall happy with what i got. I believe that any regular hopup rubber with the proper amount of pressure applied will be ok!

i swapped the nub now for a bit of nylon lead from my weed trimmer. Then I found some smaller o-rings and put them on there. After that the hop was still not enough. I then put 2 pieces of the nylon trimmer line for the weed trimmer under the o-rings above the hop bars (one for each bar), and now it is actually over-hopping. I think with a bit of adjustment this will work. If only they had put the o-rings further up the arms.

Archived