Ares/Umarex G36 confusion

Xsjado

So I've seen two different Ares G36 models and depending on where you look they are both apparently Umarex licensed. They don't come with all the same extras though and this one (also found here as Umarex) is significantly cheaper than the version I've seen reviewed which is this one. I know if it seems too good to be true then it probably isn't so what are the differences between these models? Apart from the obviously different accessories are they otherwise the same, or is there (as I suspect) some internal difference that justifies the lower priced model?

There are at least 4 versions of the new G36,K,C EBBs that I know of:

1.Ares. Same markings as older non-EBB Star/Ares under a sticker.

2.Umarex/Ares. As above, but with added Umarex markings and comes in a nice box with HK logos. No longer made.

3.Umarex/Smart Team (S&T) "V" version. Clone of Ares with a few minor differences. New laser-engraved HK markings. Comes with the new collapsible stock. Cheaper.

4.Classic Army G36C EBB with realistic dissasembly and a TM style steel gas block / outer barrel. No HK or Umarex logos. Very difficult to find.

BTW, the description of the Ares G36 gearbox is usually wrong in almost all online shops (like the one in RW). Everything is TM-compatible but the selector plate and the spring guide. Both are sold directly by Ares for 8$ each or easily replaceable by a DIY solution. The microswitch can be found at any electronic components store for less than 1€.

Well, there is a lot of bad press for Ares gear... But I have to admit I nearly bought an Ares G36 KV myself for the ebb experience!

From when I looked into things the KV seems to be better value as it comes with the extra folding stock and costs less! It's the same internals as the other Ares models. (My tip would be to buy from landwarrior though, seems cheaper but reliable store).

i had an ares SL-9, never had a single issue with it. used standard gearbox with a few upgrades, motor was the significant upgrade. ARES motors are poop. Otherwise, fantastic gun, shot incredibly accurate.

Disabling the blowback is the first thing I'm going to do so not really bothered about that. Then spring change, re-shim, mosfet... Probably even switch to helicals eventually. Internals aren't much of a concern so long as they are at least competent out of the box. Ares or S&T or whoever seem to have come a long way since the days of Star and the plastic gearboxes.

Archived