Server Error after 8pm Pacific Standard Time

In the last week or so I have not been able to log in after 8pm Pacific Standard Time. Sometimes I'll get the page but it won't load or freezes up. Sometimes I get a SQL server error, and other times I get a can't find the page message.

Anyone else getting the same?

Well, as that's around the time I get the freeze up's here on the east coast (about midnight my time), I was wondering what's going on too.

No error's just doesn't get to loading up. I get other UK forums fine so.

Edited by ruvon

I would have to double check but we do run a backup on the forums daily. This is set to run off peak, and at present there's no real way to do it without slowing the server down. I am pretty certain it's that effect you're describing.

Has this been a recent phenomenon for you or one that's been there for ages?

My experience has been pretty much identical. I usually try to get on around 11 or 11:15 pm EST (US), and perhaps 4 out of the last 5 evenings (including last night) I was unable to get on the forums. News page loads fine. Click on forums, and it just hangs there for ever. One, two, three green bars, and then they go no further. I give up, and then the following morning, here I am, and everything is fine again. Once or twice it has progressed a bit further, and then I get the pink server error page. This has only been happening over, say, the last week; before that I was going to the forums at exactly the same times with no problems whatsoever.

P.S. if you look at new posts, there were exactly two between 8:59 pm last night and 12:18 am this morning. Surely that's not normal.

Edited by mimesis

I have also observed this for the past couple of weeks at around 11PM-12AM EST. I currently live in western PA. I certainly think we're all talking about the same thing.

Most of the time, the page will not load for a long time. Other times, I get database error.

Thanks for keeping me updated guys. I need to know how things affect you and any updates so I can keep an eye on things. I think I am going to investigate a better way to run our backups which may help.

If you guys can keep me updated with times and dates of any issues I can compare it to server logs and stuff I know is happening in the background.

The site is still playing up. Around 11:15 pm last night (US EST) tried to get on. Got as far as the News page, clicked on Forums, and it just hung there forever--didn't even get as far as the Error page.

Notice that there were no posts on the site last night between 10:04 pm and 2:30 am (US EST): that should give a pretty good time frame of when the site was down.

Edited by mimesis
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm finding it very slow to load at any time of the day at the moment, it's taking upto 30-60 seconds some days to load a page, this has been happening for about 2 weeks, i've only had server errors at 2amish GMT iirc but I put that down to maintainence?

Since the 7th when I last posted, I've tried just about every night around 11 p.m. (US EST), and have only got on twice. Other times the severity of the problem varied: sometimes forums totally inaccessible, sometimes pages loading excruciatingly slowly.

Something has started to overload the backup cycle and some other areas of the server database. I will see how the ticket is going and if needed do the fix myself. I and working all night for the next couple of days and then dedicate my time to facing it over the weekend as this can't continue.

I have restarted the services and I'm now about to run a database check routine to checks for errors in the tables.

The new forum software has been launched (not installed yet) which will allow me to archive older posts. I'm hoping this new feature will allow us to filter off the older stuff but still leave it accessible to everyone and hence reduce the overheads of a very old forum :)