Tokyo Marui's XDM-40 4.5": first impressions

Personally I never had any problem with Detonator kits/slides on the fitment side of things, but they can mark quite easily.

I just made an XDM.45 for a friend, which he plans on skirmishing with the original stock-barrel, and maybe he'll install the Detonator barrel when its time to retire it ;-)

Shooters Design will make a killing if they hit the market now with a cheaper version.

Whatever slide people decide to go with, just be extra careful not to lose the small spring on the loaded-chamber pin indicator, your guaranteed to send it flying a couple of times before you come to grips with it ;-)

Cheers.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok so due to NonEx's inspiration, I ended up with a Nova slide for my TM XDM too...      I love the fibre optics that come with it.... (Thx to NonEx for helping me realise you need to melt the o

My detonator slide seems to have broken in. Racking the slide is smooth as butter. The chamber still continues to produce wear but does not impede with the overall function. I myself am waiting for th

Shooters design have been a bit hit & miss lately. Their PX4 slides were bad. Nova and Prime in general are the top in terms of quality, fitting and finish but even they have some bad runs (the pr

Posted Images

My detonator slide seems to have broken in. Racking the slide is smooth as butter. The chamber still continues to produce wear but does not impede with the overall function. I myself am waiting for the shooters design offering when it comes out for my second xdm.

That spring and indicator pin as ive learned does not need to come out of the blowback unit. Just remove the screw and pull out the rear sight...just be careful handling the blowback unit with the spring and indicator pin in the back so it doesnt pop out. The BBU will pop out easily as the slide is thin and could easily flex. It'll flex enough for the BBU to pop out without disturbing the position of the indicator pin/spring which makes reassembly with the metal slide a whole lot quicker.

• Like 1

Just wanted to add that the TM XDM .40 fits in a Blackhawk SERPA holster. I bought a left hand draw one for an XD. The XDM fits in there a little loose but its not too bad. I've seen people use velcro to keep the XDM from shaking around while in the holster. Just purchased the drop leg platform for it earlier. I should get it sometime next week.

Just wanted to add that the TM XDM .40 fits in a Blackhawk SERPA holster. I bought a left hand draw one for an XD. The XDM fits in there a little loose but its not too bad. I've seen people use velcro to keep the XDM from shaking around while in the holster. Just purchased the drop leg platform for it earlier. I should get it sometime next week.

20120327_213342-1.jpg

TM XDM 40 w/ Detonator slide in a BHI Serpa for an XD

20120327_213811.jpg

Velcro strip on the inside (hip side) of the holster.

20120327_213908.jpg

Strips of rubber spacers installed to minimize up and down movement of the TM XDM .40.

Oddly enough, ehobbyasia hasn't posted my review of the Detonator Slide. If the slide locking back on almost every shot with the slide happened to you too...odds are, it'll happen to other people who buy it.

Here's a photo of the area of the mag slide catch reinforcement that I shaved down. You can see from the photo how much I shaved off of it by comparing it to your factory piece. Note how far back it is compared to how yours is. I might have taken up to .4mm off but don't quote me on that.

20120406_123314.jpg

BTW, is it possible for you to post up a pic of the same area on your pistol so people have something to use as a reference?

Since filing that piece down some, the pistol has continued to work flawlessly.

The finish on my detonator slide is starting to show some wear from handling. I don't have an issue with it personally but its something to note.

-----------------

20120406_130552.jpg

Marui XDM's. One has the Detonator .45 slide. The other one is stock....I had three at one point. LoL!

Edited by sacairsoftsn00py
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked up a Nineball 5-7 barrel and noticed that the outer diameter is bigger everso slightly, so the assembly doesnt move freely in the detonator outer barrel, thus causing misfeeds andfail to return to battery.

@sacairsoftsnoopy What inner barrel have you been using?

Also I tried the PDI W-Hold and it really didnt want to go in. It would seem that the newer TM hop units have a tighter tolerance and are more sensitive to bigger packings. You can tell just by putting the packing in that its going to be a tight squeeze. The W-Holds didnt want to go in the XDM and my PX4 but went in perfectly fine in my TM 1911.

The NIneball recoil spring guide is what feels to be a delrin sleeved alumunim rod. Its nothing special, the spring seems SOFTER than my OEM one. Overall I completely regret buying this particular part.

Edited by mrsevenstars

I picked up a Nineball 5-7 barrel and noticed that the outer diameter is bigger everso slightly, so the assembly doesnt move freely in the detonator outer barrel, thus causing misfeeds andfail to return to battery.

@sacairsoftsnoopy What inner barrel have you been using?

Also I tried the PDI W-Hold and it really didnt want to go in. It would seem that the newer TM hop units have a tighter tolerance and are more sensitive to bigger packings. You can tell just by putting the packing in that its going to be a tight squeeze. The W-Holds didnt want to go in the XDM and my PX4 but went in perfectly fine in my TM 1911.

The NIneball recoil spring guide is what feels to be a delrin sleeved alumunim rod. Its nothing special, the spring seems SOFTER than my OEM one. Overall I completely regret buying this particular part.

Kind of OT, but how does the PDI W-Hold bucking compare to others (Nineball, KA, etc)? I haven't been able to find any info on it other than the AEG version.

Thanks!

Still more than happy with my PX-4, had it a while now and it just gets better. I am however very tempted by the XDM, any negatives shown up yet? A bit concerned by the idea that with age it might blow the slide off?

The metal frame that the slide glides onto hits the front part of the plastic slide. After a while, im sure the plastic slide will break off. No reports have been posted about stock plastic slides breaking but i could see it happening. Theres no recoil buffer preventing direct plastic slide to metal fram contact when the slide blows back. Same thing with the marui 5-7. However the frame of the plastic slide on that gun is quite chunkier than the xdm. Imo...the px4 is more sturdy as far as the design of the slide.

What gas were you using? With duster, which is what I use exclusively with it, it seems strong but not excessive. That's one of the things I really like about it. That and the general sense of solidity, of mass.. I read somewhere (but where?) that TM redesigned the nozzle/cylinder, rocket (floating) valve, etc., starting with the 5-7 and moving through the PX4 and now the XDM, making for stronger blowback. Whatever they did, I'm glad they did.

I have both the px4 and the xdm, both are great guns but In my opion the xdm is better, it has a more realalistic frame and slide (the best plastic slide I have come across) and the blow back is defo the best from any marui gun (i have 6). I would recomend you buy the xdm as its the best marui pistol available.

I bought a few parts for the XDM, heres the rundown.

I have also bought the NineBall spring guide and after a few hundred rounds the takedown lever did not disengage so I bought the Creation Steel unit. The problem still persisted so I replaced the NineBall Spring guide with the OE guide and havent seen a problem since.

The Detonator Sights fits perfectly on the Detonator CNC slide, no surprise there.

Also regarding the PX4 vs. XDM, I prefer my PX4. Both have slides and similar upgrades and pound for pound the PX4 is a bit more "settled" as a fighter.

Between the px4 and xdm, the px4's slide assembly is better simply because of tye buffer system. You need a metal slide for the xdm if you dont want to worry abot the slide breaking. The xdm does kick a lot harder than the px4. Safety of the px4 is very annoying and can get caught when handling the gun....even when holstering it (depending on whoch holster you have). 26 round mags vs. 25 rd mags for the px4.

Its a tough call for me to make but after all this...id have to say that i like my xdm more than the px4...i dont like how much ive had to spend on it (could have gotten another px4 with a spare mag or two more) just so i dont have to worry about the slide blowing off.

On a side note...the slide catching on the slude catch happened one other time on me . Left my mag in tge tunk of the car on a warm day and the gun shot super hard...same issue as before. It happened one time so i never bothered further modifying the catch. It might be problematic over the summer...but if that happens...ill just switch over to duster gas.

Edited by sacairsoftsn00py