Tokyo Marui's XDM-40 4.5": first impressions

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok so due to NonEx's inspiration, I ended up with a Nova slide for my TM XDM too...      I love the fibre optics that come with it.... (Thx to NonEx for helping me realise you need to melt the o

My detonator slide seems to have broken in. Racking the slide is smooth as butter. The chamber still continues to produce wear but does not impede with the overall function. I myself am waiting for th

Shooters design have been a bit hit & miss lately. Their PX4 slides were bad. Nova and Prime in general are the top in terms of quality, fitting and finish but even they have some bad runs (the pr

Posted Images

Nah, definatly not second hand, know for a fact as it was special ordered for me straight from HK :P

Also had the factory grease in it so, 99.99% brand new!

Plus I think the light kind of exaggerates the finish of the grip safety in the video.

As for me liking the WE over the TM, I still stand by that actually. But I do think the TM is closer to RS. But I like the WE frame material more :P

Yea man my Marui xdm was perfect out of the box, there was no sign of wear at all, but I did recieve a marui meu in the past from a hk shop I will never go back to (except to seek revenge) that was used alot and was not in new condition, but fortunatly it was used to build a Nova kitted warrior, but it still NOT GOOD.

My friends we xdm has a very uneven finish on the frame which markes really easy (with my fingure nail) the marui version has a much stronger frame that hold its finish better IMO.

Trust me, it is not used. Checked it over, not a mark on it internally and externals, except the weirdness of the back grip safety are pristine. The grip safety is as well, but theere is something shining thru the finish making it look odd.

Just look at the controls of the new TM MP7, they look pretty poor as well in comparison, seamlines, poor finish etc.

No idea about your friends WE frame, but no, no way in hell the TM wins that war... The WE may mark easier, but it is a better look/finish, astethics wise.

Anyways, I don't wanna start anything, but there are pros and cons to both, and the TM loses in the asthetics department for me...

Also finish on the takedown lever wore faster than the WE one, used it 4 times today, already seeing bare metal. As per above, on the foremost edge of the lever.

The back plate of the BBU which houses the striker indicator has worse finish on the TM than on the WE, etc.

And the fact that the controls show up as Coca Cola redish/brown in well lit conditions is a huge turn off for me. They are not black, not even close.

Anyways, I don't wanna bash it too much as I can tell it is a sensetive subject to state that WE > TM, but I will write up a report or video and tell you what I think after inspecting these more closely.

• 2 weeks later...

Mweh...

Just tried to fit the NOVA XDM slide to the TM XDM. Slide went on alright after some fiddling with the slide catch plate and those insanely small screws. TM front sight clip did not work with NOVA front sight, made my own out of a paperclip.

Outer barrel goes in the slide fine but when trying to put it onto the gun it gets halfway to battery position and stops. The chamber isnt able to drop low enough so the slide can clear over it and rack back. Looks like there is about 1mm diff from how the plastic barrel behaves.

Strange considering the slide and barrel worked fine on the WE except for the slide catch plate and getting stuck to the rear when pulled back...

This sucks !

Thanks for the tip. Will do.

If this turns out to be too much BS I will just take the slide catch plate from the TM, mod the slide and install it on the WE and be done with it. Still pretty disappointed with the TM on several points compared to the WE... Trigger pull and break, frame material and finish, metal parts finish, striker indicator plate (silver on TM vs. black on WE)... :|

Thanks for the tip. Will do.

If this turns out to be too much BS I will just take the slide catch plate from the TM, mod the slide and install it on the WE and be done with it. Still pretty disappointed with the TM on several points compared to the WE... Trigger pull and break, frame material and finish, metal parts finish, striker indicator plate (silver on TM vs. black on WE)... :|

Last time I checked, the WE XDM had the striker indicator silver , just like the marui 0.o

WE-GBB-XDM-40-BK10.jpg

Pic related.

Anyways, I forgot to mention another possibility regarding the barrel. If the barrel is pressing very hard against the hole on the front of the slide, it MAY cause it to jam as you described, this was the case with my SD glock slide and barrel.

Pic so you can see what I mean:

dscn1761o.jpg

As you can see by those scratches, the slide was pressing so hard against the barrel that it seemed jamed.

If the barrel-on-frame trick doesn't give you any hints, check for this.

The more I read this topic, the more I'm glad I stuck with my PX4 Storm. In the rush to get up-graded parts into the system as fast as possible, it seems they dont take the time to make parts that will actually fit!. When your paying big bucks for these parts, you shouldnt have to be working this hard to get them to work.

Has anyone had good results using the XDM totally stock? If I can get 250-275 using duster or 134a (when I can find some) on a warm day I'm good to go.

kenxin I didn't mean the actual pin but the plate inside of the slide, it's chromed on the TM and is very distracting when trying to get a sight picture.

As for the barrel, the NOVA slide has a slightly flared oval hole for the barrel to avoid that insane fit from the oiriginal.

One thing I absolutely hate about the XDM is the field strip, getting the barrel out from under the recoil spring, *fruitcage* impossible!

Has anyone had good results using the XDM totally stock? If I can get 250-275 using duster or 134a (when I can find some) on a warm day I'm good to go.

Yes.

I buy this is bulk from electronics supply websites. Be sure to get the large 16 oz size: better bang for your buck (pun intended).

super-duster-134-16oz-lg.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah that is the Marui pistol. However the outer barrel is still not fitted, the tolerances and fit are off somewhere and it jams when putting the slide assembly on with the NOVA outer barrel. Haven't had time nor energy to look into it properly yet.

• 2 months later...

What's the latest on running this gun on higher powered gases, over the TM recommended 134/144 gas? I'd probably be using Abbey Ultra gas most of the time, so not quite as powerful as Green gas, but more powerful than 144.

Have there been any OEM slide breakages/cracks or further loading nozzle issues?

Has the Airsoft Surgeon reinforced loading nozzle lived up to it's promises?

Basically, does anyone know of any reason why this pistol and I should not be partnered in holy airsoft matrimony? Let him speak now or forever hold his peace (hold his piece.........Ooo'er!)

I'm on the verge of buying one of these, so any updates on what has already been discussed here are welcome.

Cheers.

Ryan

Have there been any OEM slide breakages/cracks or further loading nozzle issues?

Has the Airsoft Surgeon reinforced loading nozzle lived up to it's promises?

I still haven't broken my OEM loading nozzle, and I used it extensively through summer on propane, but due to many people saying that it will break, I panicked and eventually swapped it out with WII-Tech aluminium nozzle, while arguable controversial, I found it to perform absolutely amazingly, especially for a long period I had the RA-Tech / SDP steel slide on, which put a lot of extra pressure on the nozzle, but the OEM is still standing, even when I had initially used it on the steel slide... so I suspect it could be a batch problem where people had slightly more fragile ones..