Tokyo Marui's XDM-40 4.5": first impressions

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok so due to NonEx's inspiration, I ended up with a Nova slide for my TM XDM too...      I love the fibre optics that come with it.... (Thx to NonEx for helping me realise you need to melt the o

My detonator slide seems to have broken in. Racking the slide is smooth as butter. The chamber still continues to produce wear but does not impede with the overall function. I myself am waiting for th

Shooters design have been a bit hit & miss lately. Their PX4 slides were bad. Nova and Prime in general are the top in terms of quality, fitting and finish but even they have some bad runs (the pr

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so due to NonEx's inspiration, I ended up with a Nova slide for my TM XDM too...  :D

IMG_3904.JPG

I love the fibre optics that come with it.... (Thx to NonEx for helping me realise you need to melt the optics into place with a lighter!)

IMG_3901.JPG

Clone XD holster and clone mag belt holster works well.  (although the XD holster needed the bolt to be loosened completely, I have left my XDM holstered for a week in the hope that it will loosen up)

IMG_3905.JPG

I also bought a genuine Blackhawk Serpa and it fits perfectly without any risk of scratching the slide!

IMG_3909.JPG

The genuine serpa is for a XD compact so there is a bit sticking out at the end but surprisingly less that I expected, so I am very pleased with my purchase!   :D

I kept my original TM outer barrel in for now but I like the black barrel and shiny silver slide combination! (I've kept the Nova outer barrel to one side for the time being...)

• Like 2

Damn! Those photos are making me want to get a nova slide for my TM XDM now!!

That's what happened to me after I saw NonEx's XDM... I haven't skirmished with mine yet but I have to admit it is purrrrrty just to look at!!!! I was advised not to bother with a Shooters slide as their QC just ain't good enough, but the Nova is a great compromise and great quality without too much cost!

That's what happened to me after I saw NonEx's XDM... I haven't skirmished with mine yet but I have to admit it is purrrrrty just to look at!!!! I was advised not to bother with a Shooters slide as their QC just ain't good enough, but the Nova is a great compromise and great quality without too much cost!

Not good advise. The shooters design version is better, not buy much, but there is no fitting required with the shooters design slide, a small amount is required with the NOVA slide, the NOVA however does have a better finish. But fittment IMO is more important.

I have to admit I am not an expert when it comes to GBB maintenance but I didn't have to do anything special to make it fit my TM XDM. I just unscrewed the internals and slotted them into the Nova slide first time. Then when you consider that the Nova package comes with a metal outer barrel and additional optic sights, it's a good deal!

The peeps giving me the advice between the slides were friends in Hong Kong who work on this kinda stuff. They're argument was that the quality from Shooters Design of late has had minor issues. Perhaps that was in reference to a certain batch? But they recommended the Airsoft Surgeon design and the Nova varieties to me for my TM XDM... (I'm just passing on what I found... You gys can make up your own mind!)

• Like 1

Shooters design have been a bit hit & miss lately. Their PX4 slides were bad. Nova and Prime in general are the top in terms of quality, fitting and finish but even they have some bad runs (the prime g34 slide for marui did require some fitting).

• Like 1

Well that was what I was informed of when I asked the question when considering different slides for my TM XDM.... I know that Shooters Design has been very popular so they can't be all that bad... What I do know is that my Nova slide is a very nice fit, no complaints and didn't require any special work at all to get it fitted... Thumbs up from me!

Just gotta re-iterate that my outer barrel for the NOVA Bi-Tone kit was not a drop in fit, still haven't gotten around to fitting it.

It doesn't drop down when putting the slide on and so it gets stuck halfway on.

Deadmeat did you try yours? Did it work out of the box ?

Just gotta re-iterate that my outer barrel for the NOVA Bi-Tone kit was not a drop in fit, still haven't gotten around to fitting it.

It doesn't drop down when putting the slide on and so it gets stuck halfway on.

Deadmeat did you try yours? Did it work out of the box ?

That's a good point NonEx! I never bothered with the supplied outer barrel as I wanted to keep using my TM outer barrel... I'll have to give it a try to give everyone some feedback on the Nova package!

With the Nova Slide and outer barrel fittment is needed (as I mention before a few times). A dremmel is needed to remove material under the slide were the outer barrel is meant to sit when the slide is pulled back. I made a small ramp effect so the chamber can freely move under the slide. Better still, try not using the Nova outer barrel because its not an easy mod for a newbie. That why any one looking for a Slide Kit for your XDM should get the SHOOTERS DESIGN version (its a drop in fit).

I'm not sure why you are pushing so hard for Shooters Design? Working on comission or what?

The NOVA slide kit has a very unique look that no other kit out there has and at a very nice price point as well.

The points you bring up are very good indeed and should be known, but going from that so sayng that you therefor should buy SD is a bit of a stretch isn't it ? :o

No not really, I love Nova Stuff, I have 2 Nova made Kimber Warriors (Marui Meu) with all the Nova parts and they are up there with my best guns in my collection. Shooters Design stuff is great, but as mentioned by someone on this forum the marui px4 slide by SD is not a drop in fit as with the slide for the KSC usp compact (which needs simular fitting to the Nova xdm slide kit). But the SD slide kit is a drop in kit for the Marui XDM, plus as I mentioned before IMO the Nova slide kit for the XDM is better looking (nicer paint job) but fit is more important. So for the XDM IMO the SD slide kit is better.  

That's a good point NonEx! I never bothered with the supplied outer barrel as I wanted to keep using my TM outer barrel... I'll have to give it a try to give everyone some feedback on the Nova package!

So I thought spend a moment o try out the Nova outer barrel in my TM XDM. Just as Icolater was saying the Nova outer barrel does see to get caught in the Nova slide a bit... so when you rack the slide it appears to get caught.... So, there would have to be some work done to smooth it down.

I went back to my TM outer barrel which I was perfectly content with using in the first place...

Ok so I thought I'd upload a pic of my metal Nova outer barrel so you can try to see where it seems to catch the slide... (I left the pic size to be quite large so you can possibly see the silver marks of where it has started to graze)  In fact, I couldn't rack the slide in some cases due to the Nova outer barrel getting stuck!

I'll stick to using my TM outer barrel (I don't mind it being plastic) as it fits the shiney Nova slide perfectly!

IMG_3954.JPG

Mkayz.

Mine doesn't even go on to the frame, get's stuck 2/3rds of the way and won't budge. It's like the outer barrel and hop chamber don't drop down/up when the slide is going on.

Also, interesting to note is that, besides some other problems, the NOVA slide and outer barrel fit and functioned well together on my WE XDM...

Will see if I can be bothered to try and fit the NOVA barrel. I know how that usually ends up with me using tools and trying to fit things :P

Edited by NonEx