Tokyo Marui's XDM-40 4.5": first impressions

Problem with making them out of steel would be that those parts would then be much harder than the rest of the internals, and would wear out parts instead.

When you make stuff you can have good materials making up for bad design or good design making up for bad materials. TM are the latter. If you have both bad design and bad materials, you have a WE 1911.

Precisely.

To have a good durability on internals, the characteristic of one part to the other need to be similar, in this case hardness. Once theres one part significantly harder than the others. It is also a subject to faster wear off of the weaker ones.

Same thing happens for the VSR10 piston and sear. Avoid having one part much harder than the others to maintain durability.

Thus said, changing a few parts to be enhanced means there would be a possibilty that they need to change others to match. Hence the more cost will be needed. Thats why its better to leave the gun as it is or upgrade most of it.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok so due to NonEx's inspiration, I ended up with a Nova slide for my TM XDM too...      I love the fibre optics that come with it.... (Thx to NonEx for helping me realise you need to melt the o

My detonator slide seems to have broken in. Racking the slide is smooth as butter. The chamber still continues to produce wear but does not impede with the overall function. I myself am waiting for th

Shooters design have been a bit hit & miss lately. Their PX4 slides were bad. Nova and Prime in general are the top in terms of quality, fitting and finish but even they have some bad runs (the pr

Posted Images

I don't necessarily agree.

I've upgraded many gbb's in the past for others and myself. Especially replacing the hammer, sear and valve knocker with a steel equivalent.

The only effect changing those particular components ever had, was to make the gun more reliable.... :)

• 4 months later...

After market slides.

There's been lots of discussion in the thread of Nova and Shooters Design, and some early on of Detonator.

But there's also the funky Airsoft Surgeon, as well as slides from Creation (widely sold out, it seems) and Icarus, a brand I'm not familiar with.

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/icarus-cnc-xdm-40-sw-slide-for-marui-we-xdm-silver.html#.Ve3M5GeFOAh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfVSBhVBRwc

Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

After reading through the whole thread, I initially decided on Shooters Design.  But as I definitely wanted silver, SD was not to be, as I couldn't find a single store with a silver SD slide in stock.  In fact, the only silver I could find was Detonator.  So I just fitted it this past weekend.  I filed/smoothed the underside of the slide, the part/edge that the chamber (at the end of the outer barrel) rides under when the slide move back.  So far this has eliminated the scratches that have been reported by others.  For the rest, everything fit well, though the tolerances were very tight.  There's a tiny metal piece that has to go in before the blowback housing goes in, and keeping it in place, as well as the nozzle spring, is tricky, especially when the housing is such a tight fit into the slide.  The metal piece that reinforces the slide catch had even tighter tolerances.  End result: I'm pleased.

SD fit the best, nova look the best, detonator are also good fit after some work and look good.

But the reason I posted is to let you know your trigger bar will break or nozzle will crack form the crazy blowback this gun offers. These parts are a must, maple leafs steel trigger bar and airsoft surgeon nozzle. The rest of the cheaply made internals are actually out of harms way so to speak.