Tokyo Marui's XDM-40 4.5": first impressions

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok so due to NonEx's inspiration, I ended up with a Nova slide for my TM XDM too...      I love the fibre optics that come with it.... (Thx to NonEx for helping me realise you need to melt the o

My detonator slide seems to have broken in. Racking the slide is smooth as butter. The chamber still continues to produce wear but does not impede with the overall function. I myself am waiting for th

Shooters design have been a bit hit & miss lately. Their PX4 slides were bad. Nova and Prime in general are the top in terms of quality, fitting and finish but even they have some bad runs (the pr

Posted Images

sacairsnoopy-

Did your 5-7 Barrel fit? I bought the same barrel a few weeks back and it didnt fit. The slots on the side of the barrel were too thin as the notches on the sides in the hop unit were too big to key into the barrel. Im wondering if mine was a fluke. On top of that I found the barrel diameter was slightly larger than oem so it wouldnt slide smoothly in the outer barrel like the OEM one so I pulled it and threw it in the pile of ###### I have lying around. hah.

Deadmeat-

LOL it would seem that a few of us were "stupid" enough to buy it also.

So I am a little worried about putting propane through my TM XDM, but hell, it'll mean I would have to get one of these slides...

I am also trying to find a decent clone holster for the XDM, does anyone know any online retailers who can provide something suitable?

WE XDM is already out. Odds are slide would fit. More/different WE (=HK) slides rumored to be coming. Just look at the HK PX4. Detonator aluminum slides came first ($$$$), but Shooters Design eventually followed. If and when the slide breaks, there should be plenty of choice ($-wise) as to replacement.

The best advice I ever read RE: TM gear and green gas is that you just use it till the slide cracks, and then replace the slide with another stock plastic slide...they're like $6 on EHobby (this was in relation to 1911's).

The PX4 slide is available, and I have no doubts that so too will the XDM in the not too distant future.

I'm interested in the XDM...but I'm not sure why. I already have 32 pistols, and it's not exactly the most attractive...but there is just something about it

• 1 month later...

If I remember correctly, echigoya-guns.com is the international shop while echigoya-tokyo is their local japan store, my guess would be that the international site doesn't get updated as often and has less stuff.

Again, that would be my guess, feel free to correct me.

Shouldn't be long before tokyo-model, boomarms and such carry it so no big deal.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bit of an update from previous issues. Problem with the slide blowing off the frame has persisted - basically it appears to be flexing under pressure enough to come off the rails. After doing this randomly half a dozen times I've given up on it- either i'll put a metal slide on it or get the HK3P version and kit it out with marui good bits.

In other news the AS Surgeon reinforced nozzle has been released.

I imagine because of Japanse fps regulations, TM chose long ago to work with duster. They worked hard on developing pistols (that everyone else then rips off), and with the last three models, the 5-7, the PX4 and the XDM they found a way to redesign the BBU/loading nozzle to get a bit more oomph out of duster. As I and others have reported, blowback and the felt recoil on the XDM is impressive.

People then come along and use green gas in these models and are surprised when something bad happens.

Fortunately, installing a metal slide (and there are now multiple options for the XDM) takes care of most of the issues.

While I have always promoted the use of Duster with ALL TM GBB pistols, and with well documented good reason, it has always ticked me off when I see retailers say they are good to go with green gas and propane. I honestly believe they are one of the main causes of the problem so many shooters are experiencing.

We also have a misconcieved notion that our pistols have to shoot as hard as our AEG's and GBB rifles. This is false and always has been and until we can all get a grip on this, we are going to continue to see shooters blowing up perfectly good and expensive GBB pistols. Pistols are for defensive and secondary use. Naturally, some real steel have been designed for offensive purposes, such as the HK Mk23. However, 99.9 are not designed with offense in mind and we airsoft shooters should consider this.

Okay, after all the fear mongering I went off and bought not one but two airsoft surgeon reinforced nozzle for my TM XDM when it was released, but my original TM nozzle has yet to explode on me, the other week I was playing a game on one of the hottest days this summer in the UK (at around 28c!), and I will use it again tomorrow. I ran it on propane as usual using airsoft innovation propane adapter.. I'm starting to suspect the failures people have been experiencing are due to a bad batch.. As for why I choose propane / green, well, while I don't care for the extra 30fps, the gas is cheaper (atleast where I am), blowback feels much much crisper especially in the cold... will report if my nozzle explode tomorrow (supposedly 29c).

Edited by blobface

Right, back from the Sunday game, the day was so hot @ 32c in the UK, and I had gone through about 7 full mags today under this heat, towards the end I went outside and just emptied everything as far as I could pull the trigger, which adds another 2 mag worth of firing, in rapid succession, but still no sign of nozzle explosion (for those who are wondering why it seems like I'm trying to break my XDM, well, in a way, I am, because I bought 2 reinforced nozzles after hearing everyone's nozzle issue, don't want to use them until the original fails!), ran on propane (Coleman with Airsoft innovation adapter), so for what it's worth, while it's undoubtable people have experienced failures with this gun, there are also TM XDMs out there that really has handled green without failure.

• 2 months later...

Wow... Just got this in... Disappointed compared to the WE.

Frame is plastic plastic (ABS), not matte finish polymer like WEs. The texture of the frame is also worse, it's texture has bigger "dimples", not as fine as the WEs feels way less grippyy.

Controls look worse out of the box and has worse finish, disassembly lever has some retardo slop to it. Grip safety already comes with finish wear out of the box, WTH !

Rear of the slide where the slide and frame mate has a HUGE gap compared to WEs, I think the RS one has a gap that is somwhere in between but it just looks silly... EDIT: Looking at pics, the gap size may very well be fairly accurate, but the striker indicator plate inside is shiny silver and is very distracting and in your face, matte black would have been so much better!

Wow, just wow. It's a good thing TMs shoot and work the way they do because this sure as hell doesn't win anything in terms of look and feel! Shocked!

If it wasn't for the NOVA slide I would not have this, nor want this... BOOH !

FYI I haven't seen an XDM IRL, only pics and videos online so, maybe the TM is true to RS, but just IMO the WE feels better out of the box.

"Unboxing" video...

http://youtu.be/Ec2BT_0R9JU

Edited by NonEx

OK just took a closer look now on my lunch break. Maybe it isn't _that_ bad, and it may very well look more RS like than the WE one, but if you put the two in front of me I would pick the WE every time.

Controls on the TM one has that reddish/rust undertone to the controls finish, not pure black like WE.

Slide to frame fit is superb on this one though, better than the WE one for sure.

Also noticed big differense in trigger pull and break. TM is spongy and springy, WE is stiff and crisp break/pull. Not sure which is better. The WE is almost so crips that I jerk the gun when it breaks off so, maybe the TM is better that way.

Oh well, will have to make a more detailed and accurate comparison later on.

Edited by NonEx