NZ SAS L1A1

PianoBlack

Quick update concerning the DSArms rail:

It fits almost perfectly out of the box. It is a little snug and the ring around the barrel to the rear of the sling mount needs to be sanded a little, but other than that, the installation went smoothly. It helps to have a plastic-faced mallet and a magnetic allen key set as if you drop the screw into the hand guard, you'll need to take it apart to get it out. Compared to the scope mount, this part was a breeze.

Cheers,

Vic

I apologize for the poor image quality, but these are just work in progress pictures so it doesn't really matter.

L1A1MockedUp1.jpg

This picture is of the entire rifle mocked up at the current moment. Certain things still need to be done and will be described under the photograph corresponding to the modification in question.

L1A1MockedUp2.jpg

The suppressor isn't the proper suppressor as used by the NZ SAS, but it will have to do for now. I just removed the rear ring which is how it would have threaded on and it is currently just friction-fitted in place. I plan on boring out the threaded portion so that it will fit over the outer barrel and JB-Welding it in place as I have two outer barrel segments, one pot metal and one steel. Not the most elegant solution, but it is a good first approximation and should suffice. The pot-metal one will be the modified one. Additionally, I'll need to turn down the ring described on a previous post so that the DSArms rail fits properly.

L1A1MockedUp3.jpg

Nothing really needs modification here. A padlock needs to be sourced and I might replace the King Arms Harris clone with a real 6-9" model.

L1A1MockedUp4.jpg

The G&P M2 is current a place holder for a TA01NSN replica.

L1A1MockedUp5.jpg

The rear stock is a British buttstock which is a place holder for some proper AUS/NZ furniture.

Cheers,

Piano

The supressor is locally made here in NZ and fitted for the rifles, making a facsimile wouldnt be too difficult if your not pedantic over the exact details but i doubt you'd be able to find a drop-in fit

Looks very much like a supressor made by Gunworks in Canterbury used on hunting rifles here, especially professional hunters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll be sending out my outer barrel to be cut down and rethreaded tomorrow and hope to have the project done by next Wednesday. The stock is almost done, I have just a bit more to hollow out to hold a mini LiPo battery comfortably before I epoxy the stock permanently to the lower receiver. With just the lower tang screw, the stock is solid, but the epoxy should stiffen it up and eliminate any wobble. I was thinking about drilling out the stock to fit a longer bolt or a pin that would replace the bolt used to hold the plastic stock in place to further strengthen the joint.

Here's a picture of the joint currently. Notice there's a little bit of space between stock and receiver.

IMG_0817.jpg

-Piano

• 2 weeks later...

L1A1Cutdown.jpg

The outerbarrel arrived last night, cut down and rethreaded by DangerWerx. I just need to repaint the outerbarrel where I had it turned down to fit the rail and find a proper ACOG, though the King Arms M3 replica I borrowed off my SPR looks just fine there.

Cheers,

Piano

• 3 weeks later...

NZL1ASLRFInished.jpg

The G&P ACOG arrived today after spending a week at the New York Customs depot (really strange as I'm on the other coast and normally Alaska or California is where the package is routed). I'm extremely pleased with the end result. There's some wobble between the upper and lower receivers, but that's normal as the screw that holds on the plastic stock normally tightens this up. It doesn't affect accuracy though and I don't really notice it.

I purchased a SAAV, which I modified by cutting out the dividers so I can use it with the 7.62mm magazines and it holds them really well.

I can provide a complete writeup of the project along with prices if anybody wants to duplicate it themselves. It may be cheaper to use a King Arms L1A1 as you can purchase their RAS hand guard and scope mount which are very close copies of the DSARMS models. Then you would just have to worry about the stock and outer barrel.

Cheers and enjoy,

Piano

• 4 months later...

Archived