NZ SAS L1A1

PianoBlack

Today, my L1A1 came home as the gentleman that I sold it to needed the funds and hadn't used it in the several months that he was the owner. In the time that it was gone, I had seen several images of L1A1s modernized, all of the civillian models with the exception of the NZ SAS Afghanistan picture. Of all the variations, the NZ SAS L1A1 appealed to me the most due to its combination of wooden furniture, rails, and supressor. After conducting some quick research and fnding more pictures, I've decided to attempt to recreate the pictured rifle with my Ares/Star L1A1.

Some Pictures (Rehosted):

NZSAS.jpg

001-4.jpg

003-3.jpg

004-4.jpg

006-5.jpg

List of Parts Needed for the Conversion (to the best of my knowledge, not including the L1A1):

ACOG TA01 (Sourcing a Replica)

Australian Wood Stock and Pistol Grip (Contemplating Making)

Bipod Rail Mount (Brand Unknown)

DS Arms FAL Interface Rail, Full Length (Pricey)

DS Arms FAL Extreme Duty Scope Mount (Purchased from Brownell's)

DS Arms Handguard Screw for Metric Handguard (not sure if this is needed)

Harris Bipod (Sourced)

KAC 8-Rib Rail Covers (Sourced)

NZDFL1A1 Moderator (Supressor, Overbarrel-Type)

Due to the cost and relative scarcity of wooden stocks in the US, I am contemplating using the plastic stock as a guide for carving my own. Because of this, can somebody who has the wooden stock provide me with measurements of the stock or a relative description of it in comparison with the plastic stock, specifically where it is thicker/thinner?

Additionally, I will need to source or make my own adapter to mount the supressor as the outer barrel screws into the gas block.

Thanks,

Piano

Nice project(I'm ANZAC-SAS fan too...)!!!

As I kow nobody made an airsoft FAL/L1A1 rear wood grip yet. Usally they buy the RS front grip+buttstock and paint the airsoft rear grip "fake wood"...

I don't know if you're allowed to self import buttstock into US :busted_cop:, hence it may would be cheaper:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SLR-L1A1-WOOD-STOCK-/330692101359?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item4cfec904ef

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMALL-SLR-L1-A1-WOODEN-STOCK-/170790804795?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item27c3ecdd3b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEDIUM-SLR-L1-A1-WOODEN-STOCK-/170794157809?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item27c42006f1

What sort of camo does this guy have? NZ-variant of choc-chip???

I haven't found anything on the ATF's website stating that an individual cannot import a rifle stock into the US. While there's limits to the amount of foreign made parts on any given rifle, nothing I found via their search engine states that importation of a stock is illegal.

Thanks,

Piano

*edit*

His camo appears to be desert DPM.

Supposedly the cut and material is different, but I only own the British stuff. Brownell's has posted the scope mount so keep your fingers crossed, this might work.

-Piano

*edit/update*

I've potentially sourced the wood stock and associated hardware from a US-based retailer.

The DS Arms Scope Mount arrived today and it is not a drop in fit. Either the scope mount or the upper receiver will need to be modified in ordered to get it to work. I recommend filing down the inside of the scope rail as it's cheaper than modifying the upper receiver if something goes wrong and only 1 mm needs to removed from either side. The DS scope mount is 35mm wide internally, while the width of the body is 37mm wide behind the hinge screws.

DSCover.jpg

The area in red is where it appears that material needs to be removed.

Cheers,

-Piano

Thanks for the link, I've seen a guide that uses epoxy and the tang screw to affix the stock to the lower receiver. The DSArms rail is taking a bit longer than anticipated to fit as I'm trying not to remove too much material using a mill file.

-Piano

The supressor is locally made here in NZ and fitted for the rifles, making a facsimile wouldnt be too difficult if your not pedantic over the exact details but i doubt you'd be able to find a drop-in fit

The supressor is locally made here in NZ and fitted for the rifles, making a facsimile wouldnt be too difficult if your not pedantic over the exact details but i doubt you'd be able to find a drop-in fit

The biggest issue is finding or milling an adapter that would allow the use of a supressor. I am planning on using the alloy outer barrel to make an adapter to allow the use of commercially available suppressors.

I should have pictures of the receiver and DSArms mount later tonight or early tomorrow. Most of the material has been removed and I just have to make sure there's enough play to allow the lock up plates to properly center the scope mount.

Cheers,

-Piano

DSArmsCover.jpg

Step one. filing and fitting the DS Arms Scope Mount, is complete. The scope mount is a few mms short of the ARES/STAR cover so there is a slight gap at the rear of the assembled receiver, but the same feature is found on the actual gun.

Right now I'm waiting for the wood stock to arrive from the UK. Additionally, I'm trying to determine the dimensions for the NZDFL1A1 moderator and how to attach it. I plan on running a functional supressor permanently.

Cheers,

Piano

i can measure up the one i have sitting at work for you tomorrow

The way the original supressor mounts is via the threads on the end of the muzzle, the nut is actually up inside the supressor, so only the last 2" or so of supressor has baffles, the back section is expansion chamber.

If you look in the photo, the knurled nut on the end of the supressor is actually a plastic bush machined to a snug fit on the barrel, the standard barrel length goes through this bung and screws into the boss up inside the supressor giving two secure points of contact, preventing the supressor from being knocked askew

i can measure up the one i have sitting at work for you tomorrow

The way the original supressor mounts is via the threads on the end of the muzzle, the nut is actually up inside the supressor, so only the last 2" or so of supressor has baffles, the back section is expansion chamber.

If you look in the photo, the knurled nut on the end of the supressor is actually a plastic bush machined to a snug fit on the barrel, the standard barrel length goes through this bung and screws into the boss up inside the supressor giving two secure points of contact, preventing the supressor from being knocked askew

Thanks, I look forward to seeing the specifications. If there is a commercially available suppressor that is roughly the right length and diameter, I'll go with that. If not, I'll try to fabricate one.

You know, I was'nt for this project at first. Rails on a FAL are a horrid evil thought after all.

But you know, looking at it now. It has it's own..beauty...I suppose.

Good luck man, and may the right arm of the free world be with you =)

Thanks, in the words of Jeff Cooper, "The AK is the rifle for the masses and the FAL is the rifle for the classes."

Cheers,

-Piano

The stock has yet to arrive, but based upon MAE's website, several pictures, and the website of a retailer I'm come up with potential dimensions of the over-barrel moderator pictured.

Diameter: 38mm

Length: 335mm

Length forward of muzzle: 124mm

I'm also attempting to source a proper M83 SAAV.

Cheers,

-Vic

*edit*

Wood stock arrived today, I'll be working on getting the proper metal hardware for it and gutting it out for use with a 9.6v 1500mAh nunchuck battery. It's an UK stock so it's not 100% correct in shape when compared to the Lithgow-produced wood stock found on NZ L1A1, but it close enough.

For an M83 they come up on Ebay, if you don't fancy waiting around have a look on Bid or Buy (South African Ebay), Camo Corp has them as well.

Or if you fancy something of the style but with a more modern layout Dragon Supplies in the UK have thier "Springbok Mk.III" or South African Light Vest https://www.dragonsupplies.co.uk/menu/1/142/79-Ops-Vests-Chest-rigs

• 3 weeks later...

I apologize for the lack of updates. I've been trying to source the proper hardware for the stock and haven't found many good solutions in the US. Once I source the rest of the stock parts, I'll post another update with pictures. Hollowing out the stock and dressing the receiver end so that it fits properly didn't take a lot of time, though there was a lot of trial and error to make sure I didn't remove too much material, which nevertheless happened n the receiver side of the stock.

Something to keep in mind for others who wish to install wood stocks is that if you tighten the buttstock screw (without any stock at all in place) all the way, the takedown lever has no effect. I am going to try to find a length of threaded rod to replace it in order to strengthen the stock-receiver joint. While I don't doubt that the tang screw and epoxy can hold the stock in place, I don't want to take any chances.

The buttstock screw is threaded in 8mm coarse.

Cheers,

-Piano

• 3 weeks later...

I apologize again for the lack of updates but everything has finally fallen into place. The DS Arms railed hand guards arrived today and I will be installing them later. Additionally, I have purchased the metal parts needed for the stock. I have also spotted the proper wood stock (Australian) and will hopefully be using that instead of the British wood stock I modified to fit. If you are going to do it, you might as well do it right. If anybody in the states wants the British stock, let me know. It does need a bit of filler as I removed too much material off the receiver side.

Right now, I am looking at which ACOG clone to purchase before shifting to focusing on the suppressor. If anybody has a recommendation, I am all ears. I am partial to the TA01NSN clone on EBB.

Cheers,

Vic

Archived