Kel Tec PMR 30 out at Redwolf

renegadecow

socompmr.jpg

http://redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Gas_Pistols_SMGs_Socom_Gear_Socom_Gear_KetTec_PMR30_CO2_Blow_Back_Version.htm

Just saw this today and not really impressed by the spec sheet. Actually, I'm more of disappointed. Not by the looks, as most folks are turned off by, but by design decisions Socom Gear made. One is it's CO2. Actually that's a good thing because CO2 is a better propellant compared to green gas/propane, but I'd like to have the versatility of choosing what gas you put in it through interchangeable mags. The way they made the gun is that the gas tank is integrated in the grip. You load the 12g powerlet directly into the grip which would mean a green gas version would require a complete redesign of the gun which might mean that never happening. Secondly, with the gas in the grip, the functional magazine holding the bbs is a fugly stick type reminiscent of old tech springers and NBBs. And they only hold 15 rounds, only half of the real thing which sucks balls given that high capacity was the biggest selling point of the gun (and why it's called PMR 30). While sporting blow-back function, the slide only moves as if it were shooting .22LR, not .22 magnum which the real thing uses. The .22 magnum has a long case and having the slide blow-back as much as the real thing could have been plenty of fun like the TM Desert Eagle and FN 5-7. Lastly, it shoots 460fps stock. I know some folks (myself included) like to make sniper pistols needing plenty of power to get good range, but as this is being marketed as a backup or secondary weapon, all that power can be very prohibitive. I'm sure nobody wants to get hit by that much power up close where most handguns are deployed. While the fps issue can probably easily be sorted out by modifying/changing the hammer spring, there's not much to do about the detracting features. The only good thing I see from it is the price which is at $105.

Second the above. SOCOMGEAR really are idiots. Derp, let's sell WE 1911's for £160 because they have a silencer. DERRRP let's release an ugly, pointless, stupid power rail to slap on top of an AEG and serve basically no useful purpose. DERP, let's buy the licensing rights to a company that makes interesting guns and turn them into cheap, unskirmishable rubbish CO2 NBB's.

Socomgear; Where Airsoft meets sheer DERRRRRRRP.

Land Warrior have this for just shy of £100, looks are subjective, I personally like it but according to LW it does around 500fps! Why, just why? I wish manufacturers would use Co2 more but design the guns so they run at sensible outputs so there is half a chance of skirmishing them, currently they just reinforce the notion that Co2 guns cannot possibly be within UK site limits.

Looking at it I'd be tempted to say it's not primarily aimed at us airsofters.

With it using commonly available Co2, low capacity stick mags, not having full blow back and having looks that only a mother could love it seems to me that it's aimed more towards the real steel shooters who want a replica they can shoot at home.

The only other thing I can think of is that it must be part of the licensing agreement that they make specific guns as the only Kel Tec stuff I can see airsofters wanting are the ksg shotgun and RFB bullpup.

Played with one of these - the slide does not have full travel, the hop-up is fixed and awful as it's set for 0.2gs, which go 500fps, and as such destabilize so quickly out of the barrel that you'll not hit anything over 20m away, which is a bit of an issue with the 500fps thing.

The slide doesn't go back all the way, it only goes about an inch or so back, which compared to the real steel is about an inch too short. Additionally, the slide catch/release works, but it's just slapped on top of a NBB action, so the trigger pull is horrendous and about 6 miles long, as it moves the entire barrel assembly backwards before firing. As the "slide" is a totally different system to the actual shooty bits, you can quite happily shoot with the "slide" locked back. Well, "happily" is subjective, but hey.

It's utterly, utterly worthless.

I was excited for this when I heard about it. Personally I love the PMRs they look pretty cool and gas effiency would be exellent just like in the 5.7.

However those mags, never, never in a million years will I buy this now.

What was so wrong with RS Replica mags?

Then again its only $105.00..

Interesting (if a bit cosmetically challenged) real steel pistol but an uninteresting, unauthentic overpowered dogs-dinner RIF.

As soon as I saw the magazine I knew- just knew the trigger pull would be as long as a Volvo Estate and about as light.

Then it's CO2 and bazillion FPS so unskirmishable from my perspective.

Yup agreed CO2 doesnt mean it fires 900fps. E.G. RATech Glock Co2 mags shoot 330fps... As above on the KWC Uzi. I just hate these *fruitcage* mags, seriously what the *fruitcage*! They have cut their market by at least 60% if not more.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone read the review on AI? Ridiculous!

460FPS @ 15°C seemed ' a tad hot for the UK '. They're having a laugh, aren't they?

Fixed hop at that speed? DAO trigger? Tiny mags? 15 bbs? Such a low powered returnspring that the slide retracts a bit when pointing upwards?

That review is hugely biased or what?

Which serious person would want this after doing a bit of research?

Anyone read AI?

12yr olds that haven't got there first game in yet.

As for this gun it looks as bad as it shoots, a typical SG wasted chance here, what where they thinking doing new guns that suck and copying guns but adding nothing to them like the NBB Oasis and the Double Star?

'FireKnife'

Archived