Saber005.jpg

The Wiley X "Saber Advanced" is a rather typical shooting glass with big polycarbonate lenses and a minimalistic frame. At first glance it looks like one of those "Airsoft goggles" that you get with some chinese guns. But only at the first glance!

Saber001.jpg

You can feel the stability by just touching it. The temples are massive, the lenses have a thickness of 3.3mm. And the scopy of delivery is considerably wider. The glasses come with a very practical belt pouch that can even take up all the accessories. As there are two sets of replacement lenses coloured "rust" and "transparent" (only set #305), an elastic strap and a cleaning cloth. The mounted lens is coloured "smoke grey" and will also work as normal sunglasses.

"Rust" is intended to filter blue light which is abundant in haze and glare. It also increases the contrast without filtering out too much light. You can see it in the example, where the single LEDs can only be seen through the lens. Still the picture isn't darker!

Saber006.jpg

In direct comparison you will also appreciate the other features of this goggle. The frame is rather plain, almost invisible. But it actually is very strong! I noticed when I tried to change thelense for the first time. I had to use some force, but no problem for the Wiley X. It took every abuse without so much as a scratch. I would never try that with cheaper glasses!

Saber008.jpg

The temples can be extended and will fit even the biggest head. Furthermore you can install the elastic strap, which is helpful when you run around with it, like you do in Airsoft. It will even fit under tight helmets.

The nose piece can be adjusted to seat the lens exactly before your eyes. You won't feel the goggles as they are very lightweight. I was once looking for them, not noticing that I just pushed them up on my forehead...

Saber009.jpg

If you need prescription glasses you can get a plug-in for the Saber Advanced to clip in. The lenses to go with it can be made by every optician.

To sum things up, I very much like my Saber Advanced! They are perfect as eye protection, since they exceed the MIL-PRF-31013 ballistic standard. That means, they will hold of BBs with more than 7.5 Joules. More than you will likely encounter in a game. Still they don't disturb you. You have a clear field of view and with the elastic strap they will sit tight on your face.

Saber012.jpg