Well G96 FPS problem - HELP!

santos_mw

I ordered a Well G96 from UN company about a month ago. I also ordered two magazines.

The reason why i bought it was because the trigger on my spring Well L96A1 broke (530 FPS), and i had a choice, either to sell the thing for parts and buy a G96 or to give out a

lot of money for the zero trigger. i chose the G96 (currently only 2 here in croatia, the first one has a HPA conversion).

The problems started immediately after i got it.

Mags: one mag was leaking like crazy on one valve, even to this day i couldn't fix it, it has a minor leak. the other one had a friggin hole on the lower side of the gas chamber, which i fixed with some fast drying glue.

then, a part of the hammer broke after 3 dry shots (without bb and without gas). luckily this part had no real use. then, after another 15-20 shots, it literally fell apart, on the place where it was holding the pin. so i ordered an Ares steel hammer and replaced it.

SA-PT-AW338-04.jpg

Then i tried to chrono it.

The first shot ALWAYS get 500+ fps, and all the rest get 50-80 fps.

here's a recording:

i noticed that when i get the magazine out, put it back in, slide the bolt, and shoot, it again gets 500+ fps

then i tried something else: i shot 10 shots through the chrono, but after each shot i took the magazine out, put it back in and shot.

The results were the following:

I tried everything, changing all o-rings (one on the bolt, the one in the hopup chamber), changed the hopup bucking, tried to chrono it with hopup and without, i even tried to chrono it without the stock, holding the magazine directly on the bolt....

i also chronoed it without the o-ring on the bolt, where the magazine valve comes (the one through wich the gas goes out)

the results were:

some pics of the whole bolt- hammer - magazine system (not mine, from another forum)

DSC_51890001.jpg

DSC_52020001.jpg

DSC_52160001.jpg

please help, because i'm losing my mind here... :no:

Not that many people have them.

It looks like in the testing you did where you took the mag out after every shot, you got more "normal" results than just continuous shooting, is it possible that when the hammer is hitting downward, it's shifting the mag downward slightly, affecting the seal that it would normally make? Have you tried a similar set of shots where you are pressing the mag into the gun for every shot (with the stock on), or possibly even just resting the weight of the gun on the mag when firing? By reinserting the mag for every shot, it might be reseating the slightly displaced mag enough to fix the sealing, where other methods you tried didn't.

ok, i got it figured out. the problem was that if you put the flashhider to close to the chrono's sensors, gas comes out and messes up the measuring. if you put it a bit away,it's all good....

i bought the hammer here, but now i see its out of stock... looks like you'll just have to wait. anyways, even my broken hammer was still working but i wanted to replace it just to exclude any missfunctions of the gun ;)

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/ares-aw338-h001-steel-hammer

the only thing which is the problem is the nozzle - hopup chamber relation... obviously there is too much room in the hopup chamber, or the nozzle is a bit too short or something, because the hopup nub "catches" almost every bb differently.... (and the hopup arm needs some shims aswell) i got a friend who fixed this on the same gun but with HPA conversion.... when i get it done, i'll post some pics here.

oh yes, and the mags... well... every mag is different size, the difference is minimal, but noticable... about one to two tenth's of a milimeter. so additional wobble of the magazine reduces the total fps, it can go up to 20, 30, 40 fps.

i got two of them, one is a bit better fit than the other,and really gives a little bit of more fps. i got some thoughts on how to upgrade that too, but it will have to wait, since the hopup and nozzle are a bit more important. ;)

Archived