A different tactical thompson idea

Horsem4n

Hey guys, i have a stupid idea that i really like currently. i have been considering building a thompson to fill a .45 cal SMG hole in my heart. i never liked the thompsons stock, not necessarily because of the look, but how long the *fruitcage* thing is and the angle it sits at is very non TOBDCGNMF stance friendly.

so yeah, i have been thinking of taking the red jacket design and making it... well... better looking. lets face it, their design for a tactical thompson was stupid and their vision was limited. JUST to add rails is not enough. first you must not use a *suitcase* looking rail system (mostly understandable as they must use one that they make i guess) and next, you dont leave such a long stock on there. i understand that its wood, but they went so far as to paint it black, why not at least chop it down to a more comfortable length of pull? to put it short, they were just lazy with the damned thing.

i have 2 renders from pimpmygun/photoshocloneapp that are an idea of what im getting at with the design. not just a rail system addition, but a total package.

now fight the pain as you see these:

myweapon-1.jpg

myweapon-2.jpg

i plan to use a UBR stock as i think i can keep the adjustability of the stock, but i made the 2nd one to see how the CASV front end would look as it would be much easier to install. i also am interested in trying a TROY battle rail kit, imagine that. 9 inches looks to be the best length as the DD rail system looks really good on there, but i think it would take too much work to get the rail system to fit over the front of the receiver.

let me know what you guys think.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great idea!

I would use the front part of the original stock (filled with resin, and repainted naturally) to be able to fix the M4 stock tube.

Maybe some M4 railed handguard+PEQ-box, or a full M4 S-systerm RAS to store the battery.

I would go OD+black... but it's just me.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Tbh, I expected the purest gestapo to show up.

Now, I will not add grenade launchers or bullpups as those are 2 things I do not enjoy.

Murdoc, I thought of that, but I feel that the stock would sit too low to the bore axis and grip for comfort.

With my preferred length of pull, my cheek would sit on the back corner of the receiver with my stock choices. So a cheek rest is needed. I planned to form something scar like out of a sheet of kydex or ABS.

Bankz, what stock would you suggest look nice? I also had vltor stocks on the brain, like an EMOD. But the FH stays, its just me. What would you have suggested in its place though? And what does your 2nd sentence mean?

I figure I could continue using the stock as the battery space. I use lipos.

On reconsidering I would use that:

http://rsov.com/product.php?langId=1&currencyId=1&manufacturerId=10&prodId=12964&cateId=153

I would customize it; so if folded the stock won't disturb using the fire selector, holding the grip and pulling the trigger(may I would partly remove the lower frame).

Even with totally folded M4 stocks the gun won't be short enough... for me.

So about that is my idea: th_tacticalthompson1.jpgth_tacticalthompson2.jpg

To sum up: I'll follow that progress with interest, any parts you use for it. :)

I posted yesterday but it didnt show up!

What I meant was use the rail system you depicted on the 1st mock up. Looks much tighter and better than the 2nd mock up.

As for the stock Id suggest either the standard thompson stock but in black or a Magpul PRS Stock might look cool.

Also if your adding the rail kit and running Li-Pos I reckon you could get on in the handguard if need be.

Building a pulse rifle, didn't complete it in time so this happened:

The Spas cage makes a good battery storage and means you can better 'centre' the weight (i found the stock M1A1 to be awfully uncomfortable).

The G36 rail is too low to use the iron sights, especially with a mask on so could do with raising on blocks. Looking at your designs this is something you might need to consider.

SAS

I'd go with the CASV front. Should be a million times easier to mount, and it should fit a battery if you need it.

I'm curious of how you're going to mount the stock. Are you going to fabricate a buffer tube adaptor?

I want to use the DD rail system or some other regular freefloat system as it will look better. But it would take extensive fitting on the rails and receiver to get it to work and be stable.

As for the stock, I plan to cut it and mount it to the lower receiver in a way where it would be removable or at least allow me to separate the receiver and retrieve the gearbox. I figure that the UBR will be my most solid option as I can just bolt the rail that the lower part of the stock slides on onto the lower receiver. I will also be able to keep the QD sling mount for 1pt slings. That or ill just add an RSA to the top rail.

I just need to get myself a Thompson. Anyone looking to sell their broke *albatross* one? Even if its missing the furniture ;p

I'd like a king arms sportline one as its really light weight.

No, the issue is getting the rail system to fit over the front inch of the receiver, not necessarily the actual work to mount the rails onto it. I have matched rail systems up to a thompson at my shop just to get an idea. The receiver is quite a bit thicker than the ID of the end of a rail system. The CASV is looking better and better every day because of how simple it would be to install.  

Edit: k, I made another, but kept it simple. Im really liking the CASV now. I tried playing around with the grip, but everything besides the original looks unnatural and takes away too much Thompson charm.I also have an idea for an AK style mag release. But ill need the help of a drill press.  myweapon-3.jpg

• 1 month later...

yeah, sort of. i got a casv rail system and the gun will be mine soon. im getting a king arms for cheap, but the guy im buying it from keeps flaking out of meat ups. im sill not sure what stock i want.

Archived