SOCOM Gear M200

tigerdan

Does anyone here own a SOCOM Gear M200? I'm a bit tempted to buy one while they are back in stock, but I would like to see if anyone has the chrono result? I understand by the size and weight alone, the SG M200 is hardly practical for skirmish, but for a $1,300 rifle, I expect it to shoot quite well in gas rifle standard. Can it be comparable with a stock Tanaka in terms of accuracy and consistency?

It's a complete cr@p!

If you want it for skirmishing then buy the Beta Project, I have the Ares version and both are identical and the parts are interchangeable.

The SG is shell eject gun and this cause a lot of inconsistencies, even with the RA Tech bolt it's not very good.

If you still wanted there plenty for sale!

Who said stock Tanaka's are consistent!! The Tanaka is better gun for skirmishing, search for 6mm rifle, 6mm is going to be always better than 8mm bb's.

Wolf

I have considered the Ares M200, but after browsing through half of the ares rifle thread, I have read nothing good but inconsistent fps and low power. Are you saying SG perform even worst than Ares?I understand most tanaka rifles require some mod before it becomes skirmish-able. The reason I use stock tanaka for comparison is just to set a lower benchmark for the SG M200.

I have two Tanaka rifles, a L96 and M24. I previously owned VSR and L96 AWS as well. They shoot really well (especially the TM rifles), but in terms of appearance, they are not even close to a real thing.. I'm just looking for something more realistic, but does not compromise on the performance.

p.s. I'm not planning to skirmish with the SG M200, neither a wall hanger. I might occasionally use it for target shooting, so range and accuracy is still a priority.

Thanks Wolf. But could you explain a bit more in detail as to why the SG have such poor performance? Is it the fps variation or is it the nature of 8mm bbs? Is all shell ejecting rifles are prone to having poor performance or is it just SG? Will there be any improvements if I use their CO2 bolt? Cheers.

It's both the inconsistency and the 8mm nature.

I'm looking to find the reviews I've read about them but I can't find them!!

The owners also have some problems with the bolt cycling as well and some bent shells!! They explained that the problem for that was the bolt design.

I have a shell eject gun and it's not so practical gun to use ... even for target practice. I've kept it purely for collection cause it's super rare...I'll never go to a game with it!

If you want the best accuracy/performance of an airsoft sniper rifle then buy a springer and upgrade it.... It will be a fieldworthy gun.

If you want something weird and not common take a look at the VFC ASW338, it's TM VSR compatible and it looks pretty good.

I have so far 11 sniper rifles and now I'm working on a SP M40XB and on a CA M24... I haven't finish yet but the accuracy is better than my maxed Tanaka M700 (running on propane) and all the other gas rifles (DSR1, M200).

The only gas gun I've seen that has equal or slightly better accuracy than a springer is the Asahi WA2000.

Cheers

Wolf

I have been looking for some in depth review but I couldn't find any. It will be great if there is... I need more reasons to justify my purchase. Being a complete wall hanger and unusable performance is a total disappointment.

I'm also a sniper rifle fan. I collect and skirmish with many kind of sniper rifles (But apparently not as much as you). I know springer are the best in performance and I've been using my VSR and L96 until I sold them, because I want to spend on something not just skirmish-able, but look great as well.

I will be most likely buying the VFC/ASG ASW338LM, another springer to replace my TM rifles, but I'm also looking into gas rifles. I have two tanaka rifles, one stock, the other fine tuned. Only been used for a few times because springer is apparently more superior to any gas rifles, but I have no complaint. All gas rifles do suffer from temperature and pressure, and Tanaka rifles are already proven to be better than most other brands, so I'm pretty happy with them. But other than Tanaka, is there any other gas rifles worth buying? I'm looking for something that is well made, good quality, realistic size (accurate replica), preferably with trademark and comparable or better than Tanaka. THB, I don't see much choices for gas rifles. The only brand that comes in mind after Tanaka is Ares. It seems to have what I'm after (very nice external, and with trademarks!), but I am really not sure how well (or bad) they preform... Would you recommend Ares? Are there other choices that I should consider?

I owned a SG M200. We wanted to make it gameable, and the project has been continued by someone else. The amount of money and work going into it is massive. Re-engineering a lot of the internals, remote lined it, making the inner and outer barrel one piece, new shells being made etc. It's a big, expensive project to make one skirmishable.

One of the best sniper rifles I've ever owned was the ARES AW338. Loved that thing. Consistent, powerful and not too heavy.

I currently own 3 Ares sniper rifles, M200, DSR-1 and WA2000 externally are pretty but are inconsistent as hell.

The DSR is the V2 which supposed to be improved, well it leaked pretty bad from the outlet valve when I fire! the gas could move my hair!! At that point the gun was firing 360fps, after some mods I fixed the leak and now it's firing at 520fps!

Between the Tanaka and Ares, Tanaka have superior system and have some upgrade parts compared to the Ares that they only have the CO2 mags (which are inconsistent as well).

I've worked on many gas rifles and I do like the easy cycling of the bolt but other than that springer have better performance all year around.

If you want trades the the SP has real trades

DSCN1699.jpg

And the Asahi M40 has the best

DSCN1709.jpg

DSCN1734.jpg

The CA M24 doesn't have any trades... I mean nothing!

My current sniper rifle list is this:

Asahi M40A1

Asahi WA2000 DX

Geneth WA2000

Ares WA2000

Ares M200

Ares DSR-1

RS SVD

Socom Gear Barrett M82

Sun Project M40A1XB

Classic Army M24

Tanaka M700