Serbu Super Shorty

renegadecow

Got a broken M500 shotgun recently, ended up buying it when I was originally supposed to fix it. Problem was whoever tried to fix it before didn't really know what they were doing and wound up losing parts, mostly for the magazine assembly. So I got this pretty cheap but instead of sourcing parts that are missing, I decided to build a Serbu Super Shorty out of it instead.

Already cut up the barrel, magazine tube and slide

IMG_2508.jpg

Now, plenty of folks here including myself have made Serbus before though all of them involving gas M500s went through shortening the existing magazine assembly. For those unfamiliar with M500s, the 6mm variant has 3 tubes of bbs which align with the feeding system one at a time. When a tube runs out, you rotate the magazine assembly to a fresh tube. Pretty neat feature but cutting down the magazine to 6" makes for little space to store bbs as plenty of it is wasted by the mechanism. Instead I'll be replacing the tubes with a double stack lowcap magazine system that's folded over, pretty much like Marui shotgun shells. In fact, it's from Marui shells that I got this very idea.

TM shells fit except for the rim, though will not be using them.

IMG_2510.jpg

I found that the magazine tube can actually fit a Marui shell, except for the rim. To use them I would have to cut the rims off my shells or locate the shell at the end of the magazine but would mean wasting nearly half of its contents in dead space. So I'll be building a new magazine instead out of the internals of a lowcap magazine, a tube and some fiddly bits fabricated out of pvc. It's about twice as long as a TM shell so theoretically it should hold 60 bbs or 12 shots.

M500 over a springer 870 Serbu I've made some time ago. Metal tube over shells will be the new magazine housing.

IMG_2509.jpg

Well, that magazine idea is similar to something I've had shelved for some time for my ACM M500.

I'm not planning to shorten it, in fact, I'm making mine longer, to accommodate a longer inner barrel with a hop unit so that it can handle woodland ranges. (Yes i know the hop is more important that barrel lenght, but barrel length does help)

I was going to dump the three tube magazine system and build a single magazine that would effectively be a midcap doublestack running from back to front, curve round and back to the back again, giving me 4/3 of the original magazine capacity and not need to be rotated.

Might have trouble sourcing a spring for that though. The longest I've seen are for 120-round midcaps and doing a full length plus maybe a tube extension would be somewhere around 250-300. You might be able to connect two together, but your connector will need to have a hinge on it for when it clears the fold which is a pretty tight turn. I get misfeeds with my TM and ACM shells on some brands of ammo for some reason.

Might have trouble sourcing a spring for that though. The longest I've seen are for 120-round midcaps and doing a full length plus maybe a tube extension would be somewhere around 250-300. You might be able to connect two together, but your connector will need to have a hinge on it for when it clears the fold which is a pretty tight turn. I get misfeeds with my TM and ACM shells on some brands of ammo for some reason.

I had considered extending the shell tube, but I want to have this one with the standard (5 shell lenght) tube and the barrel being longer. I also have a M3 with short barrel matched to shell tube lenght and I used to have a longer one with shell tube matched to the long barrel. I just want to have the middle ground now :P.

Given that one line is 50 rounds, having a double stack mag that "folds" will give me four lines, so 200 rounds, a spring from the MAG 190 stanags sounds about right.

I'm not going to bother untill I can get the thing to fire more than 10 shots before all the gas is gone...

Crackin idea.

The one I built, which I sold to a good friend has recently self destructed the loading tube system, it works great. You mention that your new design should hold 60 bb's or 12 shots? The cut down tube system I did held 4 shots per tube, 12 shots at 5 bb's a time.

I would love to make another.

DSCF9358.jpg

• 2 months later...

Ok, some updates.

Managed to get the new mag working and loads about 73 bbs. That's 13 more than my first estimate which gives me an extra 2 shots if you discount those 3-4 bbs in dead space being trapped between the loading chamber and magazine. The problem however is getting the bbs out of the magazine. I've been hammering at it the whole day and it will either feed 100% reliably or none at all and no amount of lubrication helps significantly. I'll try and fix it for maybe another couple days. By then I imagine I'd completely lose it and chop up 3 of my shotgun shells.

So I got the magazine to feed near 100% reliably all the time even with my grenade-grade, once fired lot of bbs. It's now epoxied together (hopes it will still work ok after gluing) but I've taken pics of its components for those who are curious about what it looks like.

top and bottom channels

IMG_2833.jpg

IMG_2834.jpg

all the parts minus magazine catch (will worry about that later)

IMG_2832.jpg

assembled

IMG_2831.jpg\I really put a hole on the near end part of the feed channel. This way I could install/remove the entire spring and follower for cleaning or repairs.

In a fleeting mood of productiveness, I've refrained from going to the usual weekend games and instead pretty much finished all the parts needed for my Serbu. I was in so much of a rush that I've botched my mag catch, but fixed it in the end. My initial intention was to have the magazine held in by a spring loaded pin which catches against the mag tube bracket. So to change mags you push in the button catch and pull out the mag. However as I was drilling the hole for the pin I miscalculated the distance and wound up drilling through the bb channel. Instead of filling up the holes with epoxy and redrilling a new set, I just fashioned a spring clip out of a hair pin.

mag with catch in place

IMG_2843.jpg

catch removed and mag sticking out a bit

IMG_2844.jpg

vertical grip parts

IMG_2847.jpg

I still need to make the spring for the grip locking mechanism and wrap the grip with some sand paper to give it some texture (real Serbu is knurled) plus prep all parts for paint and seal the shotguns leaky bits. All in all I'd likely be able to do that by tomorrow and assemble on Tuesday.

Partly that and getting bloated to the point of p*albatross*ing out during lunch at my nieces birthday.

As for today, got impatient and *albatross*embled the shotgun before the paint had fully cured. I'll get more detailed shots with better light tomorrow but for now it's just this one over the top stylized pic.

vice.jpg

edit:

what is going on with the swear filter?

Archived