Serbu Super Shorty

renegadecow

So much for better light, pretty much rained all day so these are the best I could take for now. Should really make my own hot box. I'm just hoping I could get good photos of it before I start scratching it up from messing around with it so much. Also started to shoot it with the cut barrel (6" inner) and gives a pretty loud crack, not the "plomf" the full length barrel makes. Haven't chronoed yet but I'm guessing 250fps with a 5 round load. I'll know by Sunday if I'll need to make an uprated hammer spring. Even without hop it's doing pretty good at 20m with a 1-1.5m spread using assorted, once used rounds (some .12s mostly .2 and .25), much tighter if I use new uniform weight bbs.

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2872.jpg

IMG_2875.jpg

I don't actually have a hop up unit on it right now. Used to though, the person I bought the shotgun from had me make one for him but I decided to leave it out when I cut the barrel. I imagined it would be knackered real quick if I ran crappy bbs through it. I'll try and take a couple pics of the hop unit.

Here's a picture of the hop unit. It's basically two "C" halves screwed together with the top having a larger recess than the lower to accommodate the thickness of the rubber bucking. I used a scrap of tire tube for this one and worked ok. You could just as well cut out a square patch from an existing hop bucking for possibly better results. Adjustment is made by the middle screw on top which pushes down on the rubber.

m500hop.jpg

Also, the sun poked its head out of the rain clouds long enough to take better photos.

IMG_2881.jpg

IMG_2882.jpg

IMG_2887.jpg

Ok, skirmish report from yesterday. It was a blast to shoot, pun intended! Pinched my finger bleeding on the vertical grip (held it wrong) but that's besides the point. It chronos 260fps with .20g bbs using green gas, good enough not to need a stiffer hammer spring as its current power gives me more than enough gas to empty the bbs in the magazine, I'd say 20 or so shots worth. It aims well enough by aligning the serrations on the receiver to the tip of the barrel, but gets hard to concentrate during combat so I'm looking at putting some kind of optic on it. Been looking around and it seems nobody puts optics on their Serbus so the picture is kinda hazy for me as to which one would look good on it and what will work. Definitely not EOTechs though, I just about hate em.

Not a scope! Get a torch!

Use a remote pressure pad and when you get a contact, hold down the pad, shine 100+lumens at the old op-for, put the centre of the torch beam on target and blammo.

Kinda like a laser, only with more visibility for you and less visibility for them.

Use it as god intended and just aim in the general direction.

I would normally be happy with that if not for a near miss last Sunday. Entered a room and peered out the window to see two guys stacked at an adjacent doorway about 8m away. I nail the first guy and immediately try to get the second as quick as I can, but in haste messed up my aim and shot wide. At that distance the bbs only group to the size of a fist making it easier to miss. The guy was able to take cover before I could make a third shot and was pinned down by his mates.

I'll look into that T1 and a Big Dot sight, try to photoshop them on and read some reviews. Regarding the torch, not really sure where to put it and it's pretty bright where I play at.

Didn't quite like the look of a T1 on, but a Z-point looked ok. Will check how a Docter fits in. Also, I may not even need optics at this point. Originally the slide on my Serbu was pinned to the charging arms and I kept them that way. However with the slide severely shortened it had a wider angle of play which adds tension when operating it. I'm thinking this excess force was what's messing with my aim. I've epoxied the arms to the slide yesterday eliminating any play at that point greatly improving the smoothness of the action. I'm still letting it cure fully before I start messing with it, but I think I could concentrate better at aiming with the lightened effort in cocking. At bare minimum I might still put a bead or big dot up front.

• 6 months later...

This almost feels like a necro, but I had to ask 2 things:

- You say you get about 20 shots with that mag. 5 BBs each time? So 100 BBs?

- i dont fully understand how the mag works: are the BBs aligned with the feeding tube or are they funneled when at the exit of the magazine?

Thanks!

It's about 20 shots worth of gas, but only holds 60 bbs so that's 12 shots really. The mag is a double stack channel that's been folded into a U. The bbs remain staggered for most of the channel and are squeezed into single column at the last few mm towards the bb catch and into the gun's chamber.

Heroshark did it. I was gonna do it at first, but decided not to in the end as it requires you to cut off the rim of the shells for them to fit and I have other guns to use the shells with. If you use TM shells you'll need to make an adapter, basically a feed tube like on a hop up to engage the bb catch on the shell. The way Heroshark did it it could fit 2 TM shells so you can do a quick reload by removing the cover, flipping the two shells and close.

The grip is just spring loaded and has tabs on either side which locks into cutouts in the bracket that holds it. I made the grip out of plastic and the bracket out of steel so the plastic part has some give/wobble but works all the same. One of these days I'll get around to making a metal grip for it.

Archived