1911... Which brand?!

Cryptkeeper

Hi there,

I just sold my Socom Gear M9A1 SOF after only 7 months with it... and now i need a replacement for it! I want to buy the 1911 but i need the help of the experts on this. I dont want to have another pain in the *albatross* like the M9, i need a good and reliable handgun. I have to choose between WE, KJW, SRC and Socom Gear.

Wich one should i pick? TM is out of the question is too expensive!

Cheers

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buy a TM. Its worth every penny. I bought a WE MEU and it was awful, terrible range, terrible power, massive cool down, sold it 4 days later bought a TM and never looked back, mine currently shoots about 140 - 150ft damn accuratley to a Center Mass style target. Also in plastic form it would actulaly empty a mag.. WEs will struggle to empty half even with a room temp/warm mag. Parts are cheap and terrible.

Another thing the WE magazine expand and become unusable if they get even slightly too warm.

WE are good for GBBRs. Their pistols SUCK balls. Buy a TM or a KJW but a TM beats all hands down.

KJ works are alright, but TM is better.KJ copies TMs design, so the parts are compatible, but TM has better QC and it really shows.

My TM 1911 went through 10,000 without a single fault, and is curretnly at the 30,000 mark with only 3 faults, one of them I caused myself >.<

But the major plus point here being, KJW is full metal and CO2 capable. I would recommend a KJW 1911 or MEU for sure.

No one an argue against a TM pistol but the compromise you get with KJW for the price is well worth it IMO. ;o vs. a Marui with metal kit + upgrades etc. the price is like 600 USD vs. 120 USD.

I just got a KJW Hi Capa and MEU and they are both nice pistols, can't speak for the performance or durability but I am impressed with them for the price.

Thjat is why I also mentioned CO2 in my post... I just tested my KJW M9 full metal CO2 and I got 87 shots on one 12g capsule, 80 of those were full power blow back shots. I would have settled for 40 shots per capsule to be honest so with the KJW CO2 configuration that is a non issue. And the blowback is honestly on par with a Marui stock GBB on green gas in terms of snappieness.

As to why, because it feels better, (sometimes) looks better, sounds better, more durable and more "realistic".

Actually they are around £130 for a TM 1911 and £165 for a Series 70, that isn't too far off 190 Euros.

But if you have to buy a KJ then as you use it replace bits with TM or other 3rd party parts, if you plan to only have it in your holster and crack off a few rounds here and there then a KJ is fine, if you want to do some serious playing with it then get a TM.

'FireKnife'

Yep that'll work just fine. As for biggest downside of KJW, from my personal experience I'd say it's the reliability. They're still plenty reliable, but when compared to a TM they fall a bit short. However, you can order parts straight from KJW over email which I have found to be incredibly useful.

The KP-05 is technically a Hi Capa / 2011 pistol, 1911 "style" with flared barrel and double stacked magazine and different style grip. I have both KJW 1911, KJW MEU and KJW Hi Capa and they are all fine. If you want something more close to a plain 1911 then get the MEU, KP-07.

If you want some more information about KJW in general and the KJW M9A1 in particular see my review linked in my sig, I will copy the last bit in here for referense ;

As a side note, I actually had, no more than 6 months ago, a project going where my goal was to purchase all the Tokyo Marui gas blow back pistols which I liked and upgrade them with full metal body kits and internals etc. The project quickly came to a halt and I sold of all finished guns and project parts (4 completed guns and 1 in parts), simply because I felt it was not worth the time, money (around 600 USD per gun all parts included) and effort it took to get a good quality end result. Don’t get me wrong, you can get fantastic, near perfect, end results with this method. However KJW offers an excellent compromise straight of out the box that works, has good fit and function. The main problem with building custom gas blow back pistols with metal kits etc. is that there is a lot of small precision fit and finish work involved to get a good end product, something I was not willing to spend time doing. Also due to a technicality in the Swedish fire arms law which deals with airsofts it is (again technically) illegal to own gas operated airsofts. The only propellants explicitly stated and allowed according to the the law are “air, spring or CO2 powered…”.

I have yet to own a pistol though that rivals the overall performance of a TM, mostly accuracy wise, they are indeed VERY good out of the box, but lack some of the upsides of the KJW models. I feel KJW is a fair compromise. And as stated, if and when parts start to fail you can replace then with Marui compatible 3rd party parts or direct KJW replacements.

The issue with KJ is usually fit and finish i find, plus they have a habit of either using light paint that scrapes off or using so much paint that the thing is coated in it.

However as you can pick up TM parts for 1911s easily just get a KJ and use it until an issue develops then replace with a TM part, eventually you will have the parts you need in TM.

As for the KP-05 it is a Hi-Capa 2011 so it is a wider framed and modern 1911, they are good and have more parts available than a 1911 but they are not to everyones taste, in fact i personally can't stand the grip. If you try one and it works then go for it.

'FireKnife'

I have a two-year old KJW 92 that was a gift from my friend and it's a damn reliable pistol. My friend who doesn't know jack about maintaining a GBB pistol has never cleaned or lubed the pistol and treated it very harshly during games. To this day it still hasn't broken, the performance is great for a sidearm although not as good TM.

As for KJW 1911's, my other friend uses it as a prop gun and has dryfired about 2000-3000 rounds without any problems. Again, he never lubed or cleaned any part of the gun. It's also been dropped on several occasions.

Dry firing a GBB isn't as bad as an AEG, all it means it that the airflow directed down the barrel isn't pushing against anything so it is free to clear the barrel, plus sometimes i find it gives a harder kick :P

They are reliable but it is just the quality of the parts they use, 75% of the time they are fine but you do get the odd ones with issues that are an easy fix and the few that go horribly wrong. Plus you get the typical yeah it is metal therefore amazing believers, give me good plastic over metal any day :P

'FireKnife'

Archived