FPS/MEDs - Why?

Redshirt 1-7

my guns now run around 350ish between 300 and 350, would I play higher fps games? sure, have I yeah. different power limits require different gear, indoor semi only sub 350 just run shooting glasses, hawaiisoft full auto no med no fps limit full face and a plate carrier.

I dont think fps is the problem I think the attitude of a goal not a limit and people being *rickrolls* is the problem

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's nice reading what everyone thinks on this thread :P

I have something to add that is probably a significant cause to the reason why some of us think people are adopting an "American" mentality towards fps levels in airsoft.

I don't think it's entirely fair to blame newbies for thinking that more fps = better. With a basic understanding of physics the more power you use the more range you get. Aerodynamics and whatever science is behind the hop up is not something you can immediately get a grasp of with high school physics (and if you can then more power to you smarty-pants :P) and as far as I can tell locally in Hong Kong (and I think it'll hold true elsewhere around the world too) is that the scientifically knowledgeable airsofters are few and are not a main force of guidance to lead the newbies on how to think and critique airsoft theory correctly. Given the sometimes false or over the top advertising on the part of the aftermarket and general airsoft manufacturers it's not helping us in further educating and developing the science behind airsoft, which is IMO essential in forming any arguments with regards to achieving performance in airsoft guns without falling into the uninformed hearsay and advertising gimmick that many take as gospel.

Back to those that have what you may call influence within the airsoft world are people like professional (or famous) airsoft IPSC players and retailer representatives. The retailer reps have their own agenda in promoting their products and many times they use misconception that at first glance might seem true to sell their guns (i.e. high fps = more range). They are mainly represented as knowledgeable people by the retailers (they are assumed to know what they are talking about when they promote their products; and this has a significant impact on newbies who are looking for information to buy new airsoft stuff) and with that influence at hand misconceptions are easily promoted en-mass to the less-knowledgeable crowd of airsoft players.

You then have the IPSC guys which I think we can agree that they spend hours and hours labouring away to make their guns shoot perfectly for airsoft matches (where half a second is a significant amount of time). Those guys are (I would think, correct me if I'm wrong) in general secretive about what modifications and knowledge they have (knowledge is power; if they know how to mod their guns to perform 'better' than others you won't see them publicly talking about their secrets would you? :P) and I'm pretty sure with their extensive experience shooting and maintaining and upgrading their guns they'll know about how much the hop up affects the range and accuracy more-so than the fps level. Sure you might say that this is something they shouldn't feel secretive about as many of us know about the hop up's effects already but with the combination of the less knowledgeable masses and in general the IPSC shooters like to keep to themselves (take Airsoft Surgeon for example; when has he (on the internet) ever said anything about the hop up being more significant than the fps?) this knowledge isn't passed onto the new players (or those refusing to learn or accept because they have an inherent will to hurt people...I know at least 1 guy that's like that >__>).

Reading back the IPSC part I might be pulling out of my *albatross* as an argument (since there's only 1 'famous' IPSC guy we know in airsoft right?) but I think my arguments about the retailers stand true. Feel free to critique what I've wrote those :P

I really think that higher fps is not the problem.

Stupid people who shoot people point blank in the mouth is going to break tooth no matter what fps the gun is firing at.

Stupid people who boosts only fps is bad. It is not really wrong if someone plays safely and is increasing the fps because fps is the bottleneck of performance of the rifle.

I really think that higher fps is not the problem.

Stupid people who shoot people point blank in the mouth is going to break tooth no matter what fps the gun is firing at.

Stupid people who boosts only fps is bad. It is not really wrong if someone plays safely and is increasing the fps because fps is the bottleneck of performance of the rifle.

Ah I've got to disagree with you there :P I believe your arguments hold true only to a certain extent of 'high fps'. I'd never play a CQB game with 2J guns and responsible players (basically players I can trust) just because at that range and power the game will be unnecessarily risky regardless of where you get shot. Unless I'm wearing a suit of armor that can protect my fleshy bits from being shot at any direction then I might consider it....but if that's the case then the game just becomes....unnecessarily stupid with the amount protection you need to play with to be safe :P

At the end of the day yes there is a reasonable limit to anything, you wouldn't play 500fps CQB, but i would still rather play 350fps CQB against people that know what they are doing but would never play 320fps against stupid people as it would lead to issues.

'FireKnife'

From watching the scoutthedoggie videos on you tube, it shows through the elements of game play, when in and up close switch the AEG to semi, or if you have one go pistol, it happens on film when players use auto up close, they don't mince there words in scotland.

The games appear well run and marshalled and you still have incidents.

So for open walk on days MEDs are going to stay, as thats where the problems are, not everyone seems to be able to play a game, for fun, with minimising risk to others. Can be just plain old cheating and more power types, and players that have no idea what they are doing and don't understand you can select semi only.

Private games or club days i have been to have little trouble as it's more "players" and everyone knows everyone, the game play is much better as you know everyone else knows what they are doing.

At the end of the day yes there is a reasonable limit to anything, you wouldn't play 500fps CQB, but i would still rather play 350fps CQB against people that know what they are doing but would never play 320fps against stupid people as it would lead to issues.

'FireKnife'

Honestly in my experience 350-320 fps feels the same when you get shot :P But I wasn't trying to imply that it's okay to play low power with stupid people either :P It could be a 0.2J gun (shooting say 0.12g for the sake of argument...need the bb to not droop out of the barrel :P) and I'm sure irresponsible players will find a way to hurt themselves; like firing said 0.2J gun in the safe zone and magically hitting someone's eye...

In fact I'll probably say playing with low power guns probably present a more inherent danger for the skirmishing day than during the skirmish itself; stupid people tend to get careless and with the "safety" feeling of a low powered gun you'll probably have a lot more incidents of guns going off in the safe zone than with higher powered ones :(

Archived