Short inner barrel in a long outer barrel

Just a quickie, I have recently ordered a pdi receiver and light outer barrel for my Tm g spec and wanted to know if anyone has fitted a standard 303mm inner barrel into a longer outer barrel. The outer barrel in question has the same internal dimensions as my g spec outer barrel, but it is the same length as the standard vsr 10 pro sniper barrel. Would I be better off with a longer inner barrel 430mm or the standard 303mm? My thinking is,

Option 1 short inner barrel, then silencer foam in the end of the barrel.

Option 2 long inner barrel with the g spec silencer on the end.

Any opinions would be cool.

you may have issues with bbs hitting the inside of the barrel or foam,also the foam could move about unless you use a tube of some sort to centre it.

i would run the 430 barrel anyway, performance is slightly better than with the 303.i had a 430 in my g-spec with the silencer end cap drilled out.

you will also have to take the end cap from your g-spec if you want to use the g-spec silencer i believe .

Its commonly held that very long (I forget exactly but something like 480mm) is less accurate. A 430mm will likely be more accurate than a 303mm.

Also if you do use the shorter barrel put a tube inside the silencer (ie not just foam) else you may have problems.

Perhaps it's trial and error time! I'll fit the 430mm and see how she performs. I think the rifle will be super long with the silencer on as well as a longer outer barrel, but I'm sure it will be cool. Can't wait for the new receiver and outer barrel to turn up. I'll fit the end cap to the new outer barrel so the silencer from the g spec will fit and job jobbed.

If anyone ever remember's greg's posts about VSRs it was that the 430 offers better long range accuracy/consistency over the 303 and the 555mm barrel you can get for the VSR and that he basically took a 555mm barrel and kept chopping it until the performance matched a 430mm barrel, which was at 480mm.

I think i'll try the longer barrel and see how she performs ! I must admit though I was impressed with the range and accuracy of the 303mm barrel, But I needed to get a new outer barrel and receiver as the threads on my TM barrel and receiver started to strip and needed to be replaced (Poor quality metal).

My original plan was to fit the 303mm barrel into the longer outer barrel which would mean I could use the end of the barrel as a silencer and build a silencer the same as the G spec, ie foam and plastic. I think Im just a sucker for tinkering, and trying to get the rifle to its absolute best.

I have the standard VSR outer and a silencer and its not too long.

I have tinkered beyond belief with my rifle, and I don't think I'm done yet. ;)

I'm using her for the first time since august this weekend, so I dare say I'll find something else that I want to tweak.

I know what you mean, you skirmish with it, have a good day but feel you need to try something else! Just in case it gives you more of an edge. I hope my decision to go for the longer barrel 430mm pays off! And I'm glad you don't find the pro sniper length with a silencer too long. This was what I was hoping to hear.

First time in 8 months on Sunday and I can honestly say it doesn't need anything else.

Well...

A nice Laylax bolt handle wouldn't go amiss. They tried to rush me and I ended up with a blister on my finger from the rapid cocking. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to see you had fun on your skirmish scorch, I'll agree with the fact that once your rifle is shooting nicely, What else do you need! My trouble is that I enjoy tinkering due to the fact that I have so many different parts to keep trying until I satisfy myself on the best set up, base on my experience and not some exagerated claim !

At the moment I have the 430mm barrel, Long PDI outer barrel same dia as the G spec and then the Gspec silencer on the end of the barrel, and I must say its long, but boy it looks GOOOOOOOOOOD.

Archived