iPhone and YouTube...

shmook

Firstly, my apologies if this is in the wrong place!

Right, I have an iPhone 4 (I know, I know, there are haters out there...!), and I'm having trouble with buffering on YouTube.

It can take up to 10 minutes (if it buffers at all, which is 50/50 chance) to watch a 1 or 2 minute video due to super slow buffering speeds when watching via my wifi, but if I drop off that and go onto 3G, no problem.

I know this sounds like a router/connection problem, but I've got a strong signal, decent enough line speed (average of 4 meg, but anything up to 9), and on a laptop or PC, youtube is fine...

Now I've read it can be slow on an iPhone as they automatically go to the highest resolution when clicking a link, but even so, surely my line speed is enough for that?

Basically, am I doing anything wrong in regards with my router? Do I need to open any ports or anything silly like that?

Any help would be appreciated, as I'm not really tech-savvy!

It may be that your Wi-fi is restricted on that item for some reason, coupled with the higher resolution theory on an iPhone it may just be that.

Considering everything else, including 3G, is fine not sure why. Maybe try a different browser or update your plug-ins? Sometimes it could be a browser or plug-ins conflict between iPhone - router.

Just a few suggestions but having never bothered with an iPhone i can't comment much further. :P

'FireKnife'

Ooh cheers! As for the browser, I've tried it through safari on the phone, and the dedicated YouTube app too, and both are the same, ie inconsistent. Rarely, a video will buffer fine, but 99% of the time it's quicker to hire an artist to create an exquisite storyboard sketch of what I'm trying to watch...

Honestly though there is the odd occasion where the Genius people can help, try them.

However jokingly i am sure you can find the YouTube videos you want on Apple, they will just charge you for them :P

'FireKnife'

Probably irrelevant seeing as it's happening in the browser too, but is the youtube app updated with the latest version?

Is it just youtube or other streaming sites too?

You could try resetting your network settings.

I am not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I find that while I have no problem on almost all networks, connecting to the router where i live at the moment is very inconsistent. It has trouble connecting, and when it does, it doesn´t really work anyway. In other parts of the flat it seems to be ok. So even if it shows full signal (I am 55 meters away from the router behind a wooden door) there might be something inteferring. But this isn´t just youtube, its anything that needs the internet.

Thanks, but the connection seems fine. I am at most through 1 floor away, probably never more than 5 - 7 metres away, but I get a solid, decent connection at all other times. I do probably 95% of my browsing on my phone, including now as my laptop is so old it runs on coal... It's only YouTube I'm having trouble with!

Archived