KWA LM4 PTR GBB

Our demo guns are still going strong. We've put a decent amount of rounds through them so far. My buddy said he's put around 5,000 rounds through his as of this past weekend. No failures, no issues. I wish my WA and G&P GBBRs were this good out of the box.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPx35ElNS0">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPx35ElNS0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">   I'll keep you guys

After a very long wait, I finally got my hands on KWA's new LM4 PTR. What follows are my initial impressions after owning it for 1 day, and using it in a few rounds of CQB. But first some pictures:  

Posted Images

A major attractor for us with this gun was the fact that aside from what has so far been good reliability of the platform, KWA has really good customer service. No other manufacturer of GBBRs have any significant support in this regard.

As for the comments regarding KWA's trademarks, you can just as easily paint over them. I did that with my early version ATPs. Masked off the area on the slide and a few quick coats of Krylon black later ... the trademarks were nice and subtle. I haven't bothered to do that with the LM4 PTRs yet. I'm fine with them as is.

Be careful using aluminum black. I used some on one of my KWA 1911 sample guns and since it would never quite get dark enough for me I kept going with it and eventually the entire area rusted/eroded severely. If that happens to you, lightly sand the entire area affected, mask it off and just spray it with some flat black paint to seal it in.

I posted this in another thread:

Leftover from my real ARs, I had some spare parts from my RS KAC selectors, so I modified the KWA safety and installed the KAC scalloped right side selector onto it.

kwalm4ambi01safe.jpg

kwalm4ambi02semi.jpg

Not *quite* as flush to the receiver as I wanted, but it works great. To do this, you have to remove the selector, cut a channel which the back face of the right selector plate will key into, then drill and tap a hole for the screw to lock into. Sounds easy. Cutting the channel was in fact easy. Drilling and taping the hole perfectly straight into the selector proved a challenge given my pathetic drill press. Hence why the ambi-selector doesn't fit perfectly flat.

I have not had a chance to try out Crusader's B.A.D. selector for the KSC on this gun yet. Mostly because I'm not a fan of that particular safety since I used to have one on a real AR.

Next was the charging handle. Installed a BCM gunfighter latch onto the KWA charging handle. Works great. Minimal modification done to the latch. Rather than butcher a real BCM charging handle (which did cross my mind), I had some spare Crusader (VFC) parts, including their BCM Mod 3 charging handle latch. Installation was simple: using a small punch, pop the pin, remove the old latch. Compare old latch to new latch. Old latch had a notch to assist the spring for staying in place. Cut new notch on the Crusader BCM latch using dremel, or file, or both. Push the new latch in place and tap the pin back in. Done. I just wish Crusader had made Mod 4 versions (medium latches) as well as the Mod 3 (large latches) as I use the Mod 4 on all my real ARs.

kwalm4bcmsmall.jpg

Left to do:

• Modify and install a Magpul ASAP plate. Thank you Akira. Gonna reference your guide.

• Modify and install a Magpul BAD.

Not 100% unfortunately. For the most part yes, however when you insert a loaded mag into the gun with the bolt locked back, you have to use the bolt release to release the bolt. On a real AR15 you can use the bolt release OR you can rack the charging handle. Racking the charging handle will not release the bolt on the KWA. KWA is aware of that and are looking into it.

KWA is aware of that and are looking into it.

No They're not, it was a very intentional (making it unable to be release with charging handle)

Part #73 (spring) and #56 (plunger) are the evidence

There's two detent in the bolt catch which the plunger push into. One is in closed other is when bolt catch engage. This was done simply so that the issue of bolt catch half-engaging bolt carrier does not occur. If you remove the plunger and the spring the magazine itself is NOT sufficient to lock the bolt back.

Just relaying the phone conversation I had with Allizard from a few hours earlier. This exact topic came up. The answer was quite clear: "we're aware of it and are looking into it".

Which could mean "only one person complains about it. Who cares"

As long as it shoots, gets good efficiency, then who cares about anything else!

• Like 1

It matters to people who shoot a lot of real steel and use this as a training tool (like myself and the LEOs/MIL personnel and other RS shooters I shoot alongside weekly). To 95% of airsofters who don't know any better about how a real AR15's manual of arms operates ... or just wants something that "shoots, gets good efficiency" this is perfect for them. I'll be honest, even though this one particular feature is not integrated into the platform, as far as GBBRs are concerned I'm still confident in recommending this gun to people who want to use it for training. It's just really well built and designed.

• Like 1

Which could mean "only one person complains about it. Who cares"

As long as it shoots, gets good efficiency, then who cares about anything else!

C'mon man, of all people. Realism baby realism!

On another note, got an email from a seller on eBay that I've bought parts from before. Looks like he has the Magpul edition in stock for $479.00 + $20.00 shipping.

God dang it Evike, stock the rifle already!

Edited by rvlyssup

If you cant wait for Evike why not grab it from ASGI? Still have a 10% discount and free shipping (or you could probably just drive there).

Probably because I have a 20% coupon code. also, the last time I drove to either one of those places down bellow, we were standing in line for almost 2 hours. Plus, I had my 3 year old toddler running around the store with my poor wife trying to keep up. With Kali gas prices, shipping is cheaper.

In all honestly, I'm quite excited about this platform. I believe it to be a progression. I own quite a few Magna & WE Techs M4s so I'm not biased. It will be very interesting what aftermarket and upgrade parts will be available for this platform. Although that 3 piece upper really needs to go.