KWA LM4 PTR GBB

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPx35ElNS0">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPx35ElNS0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">   I'll keep you guys

After a very long wait, I finally got my hands on KWA's new LM4 PTR. What follows are my initial impressions after owning it for 1 day, and using it in a few rounds of CQB. But first some pictures:  

Posted Images

You must be pretty good, doubt I'd manage half of that, ha.  Which shot timer do you use?  I always wondered if they'd be able to work given the lower dB report of a GBBr.

I use the IPSC Shot Timer for android. Works better with real guns, though, this specific drill doesn't require knowing your splits so it wasn't an issue. Beep, shoot six before the next beep. Repeat, beep, shoot seven before the next beep. So its a very simple drill that requires the most rudimentary of timers.

As for the KWA mags, 3 out of 4 of mine are absolutely fine - One doesn't lock the bolt as positively as the other two, hence I've removed the spring from the bolt catch assembly, which has vastly improved the situation. The leaking one is literally not even holding the gas for a second, it's straight in straight out, which is annoying as I've got a game tomorrow..

When it comes to bending the bolt catch lever down a little, is heat required? I've given it a go but it seems absolutely rock-solid, and I don't want to apply to much force to bend it a mm or two...

Hm, we've ordered 8 mags so far and none of them had any horrible issues - I guess that's luck of the draw.

I tend to buy spares when I perform those mods anyway, hence my not doing the bolt catch mod quite yet. I personally really need that feature for how I run the rifle, but I need to check if the pro shop carries spare bolt stops.

How's the froglube working akira?  My rifle either has graphite grease in it or all the silicone grease has mixed with paint residue, because *suitcase* be nasty up in there.  Subscribed to your channel by the way, very nice work on there, I'll be spending a lot of time watching those videos.

I'm also thinking I need to pickup loctite before I do any work on this, get things right the first time rather than my usual attitude of "pah, it's only airsoft, what could go wrong??".  Presuming a fairly gentle one is all that's needed given airsoft recoil levels, anyone have a recommendation?

FrogLube works great, wear has reduced a lot and it cycles extremely smooth. I'll never go back to silicone. Though I do use light silicone for the pistol o-ring.

Yeah I just use the blue and it holds up, I've had a few small screws here and there come loose on the aftermarket gas blocks (the noveske and now the HK416) especially when I didn't add any.

Blue locktight is what you want, red becomes pretty perminant once it sets fully. As for the mags, I could never get my g&p pmags to hold gas once they started to leak. With these it's pretty simple. The one of mine that leaked was due to a dry oring, which I then crushed by over tightening the valve. Quick swap of orings from a reg gbb pistol valve and I've had zero problems since. I've had good results with frog lube as well,though I only have used it on the bolt so far, everything else gets a light coat of 30 wt silicone everywhere else

Edited by -wigs-

Cheers guys, found a UK distributor for CLP (that had stock and everything, much to my surprise) and picked up some Loctite with a breaking strength of about 12 Nm.  Which based on my small amount of experience with torque tools, should be about the right level to hold things in place against the recoil but also not ruin airsoft-spec parts when it comes to removing things.

Took my rifle out yesterday (entirely stock condition) to see how it'd do in not-so-warm weather, thought some of you guys might be interested (skip to about 1:20 to avoid hearing me waffle).

Ambient temperature around 7°C and the first mag that had the minor issue had been used for a FA dump a couple of minutes earlier without any deliberate attempt to let it warm up again.  I was extremely impressed I have to say, given that the bolt carrier is steel and it kicks hard for a GBBr.  My WOCs wouldn't have fared nearly as well using a steel BCG.

• Like 1

We were playing with our guns (one LM4, one KSC) in -1°C on colerman propane last weekend. Blowback was not crisp, but range was pretty good especially with 0.28.

By the way, never use much lubrication when you are about to play in cold...

Edited by emp3ror86

I didn't have any fancy lube on hand, so I just used the oil that came with Tornado grenades >_>

I clean out the paint gunk that comes out when you cycle it regularly, and the thing cycles really smoothly by now. I'd love to run Froglube when I can afford it, and I plan on it. But I'm rather forced to work with typical silicon lubricants for now.

I used my LM4 for a full day's game this Sunday just gone, and it gets even more impressive by the day. Range with .30's is excellent, and it's blindingly accurate. I can't see any trace of an issue with the hop-up system thus far, it was fantastic for the duration of the game on Sunday.

One thing I did suffer from was a delayed blowback issue in the morning - Due to a lack of lube on the nozzle O-ring, the gun would fire the BB but fail to cycle the bolt and leave gas hissing out the mag. A quick spray of silicone oil on the O-ring sorted this out for the rest of the day, and the gun performed fine in 8c weather 'n all. I was keeping the mags on the inside/map pouch of my chest rig, which kept them at a slightly reasonable temperature.

Still waiting on the valve key to try and sort my leaking mag out, but the other 3 held up fine.

I used my LM4 for a full day's game this Sunday just gone, and it gets even more impressive by the day. Range with .30's is excellent, and it's blindingly accurate. I can't see any trace of an issue with the hop-up system thus far, it was fantastic for the duration of the game on Sunday.

One thing I did suffer from was a delayed blowback issue in the morning - Due to a lack of lube on the nozzle O-ring, the gun would fire the BB but fail to cycle the bolt and leave gas hissing out the mag. A quick spray of silicone oil on the O-ring sorted this out for the rest of the day, and the gun performed fine in 8c weather 'n all. I was keeping the mags on the inside/map pouch of my chest rig, which kept them at a slightly reasonable temperature.

Still waiting on the valve key to try and sort my leaking mag out, but the other 3 held up fine.

Thats good to hear. Guess its kinda like real ARs - a good deal of them like to be run well lubed.

Something I noticed today when cleaning out all the factory lubricant (which was pretty similar to carbine fouling the amount of paint dust it had mixed in); there was some nice rust going on at the point the gas key meets the bolt carrier, presumably the key isn't steel so we've got some dissimilar metal corrosion going on there.

Much to my annoyance, the key appears to be held on with 3.5mm allen head bolts and I own 3mm and 4mm tools.  So I got at what bits of rust I could that were protruding, but I'll be getting an appropriate 3.5mm driver to remove the gas key and remedy the issue ASAP.  Just something to keep an eye out for.

Check out the facebook site of PTS people.

"Mega Arms Upper & Lower Receiver, PTS MOE STR Stock, PTS MOE MBUS Front / Rear Sight, Rainier Arms Evolution Free Float System, KWA GBB System!"

Upper is one piece design.

Got a link dude? I can't seem to see it on the PTS FB page.

*edit* Having just googled the R/S, I'm pretty much a huge fan of the idea of having 'MEGA' in big block capitals on the side of my upper. One piece construction will be nice as well, having a wobbly top receiver rail is somewhat irritating...

Edited by hwagan
  • Like 1

Here

I hope it will work. There is a skeletonized trigger, too.

Edit:

Yeah, I think PTS just threw a stone into the KSC/KWA lake. I can't tell how *fruitcage* much I want a one piece upper receiver. :D

Answer from PTS:

"this airsoft gun will be build by KWA! Product accessories detail will be subject to final confirmation!"

Edited by emp3ror86

Holy hot-damn that looks good; Definitely picking one of those up once they're released. Where's USCM to tell us how long it'll be? :P 

To be honest if they're knocking that out as a whole gun, I might just pick up the entire thing - I get a bonus in March, and that looks like an excellent way to spend it. 

While I'm here, is the upper receiver rail movement anything unusual? I mean it's not flopping around or anything, but there's definitely play in it. I had to use a fair amount of force to remove the barrel nut, so I just wanted to confirm I haven't broken something; It rocks maybe 1-2mm either way if you wiggle it.

It wiggles from the factory, add some paper/metal/plastic between the rail and the upper receiver and the wobble is significantly reduced. My upper is extremely tight, though Im also no longer using the OEM upper rail.

Also that build is SICK, I don't care about the lower but I always wanted a blocky upper like that.

Edited by akiraspeedstar

Thanks man, I'll give it a go this evening; Is the rail difficult to remove? I haven't taken the upper down yet so I'm clueless as to the process!

*edit* According to PTS (They responded within 4 minutes of my asking):

Dear Richard, we don't have the detail plan at the moment! This gun is prototype only! But should be launch at 2013!

...Sweet.

Edited by hwagan