KWA LM4 PTR GBB

Rail covers were originally created to protect the picatinny rails from getting damaged. The fact that rail covers are now integrated to enhance weapon grip and manipulation (and protect the user's hands from hard edges) was something that came later. Many want to protect the top rails as that is generally where the most important accessories go (optics, iron sights, lasers, etc).

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPx35ElNS0">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPx35ElNS0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">   I'll keep you guys

After a very long wait, I finally got my hands on KWA's new LM4 PTR. What follows are my initial impressions after owning it for 1 day, and using it in a few rounds of CQB. But first some pictures:  

Posted Images

I just have them for decoration ;)

The gun does look kind of naked when I take them off. But their definitely not necessary to me. 

I used to use FG ladders on the upper rail of one of my old guns, and my thinking was that if you're holding the gun in a patrol style position (No idea of the technical term, but when you're holding it relatively relaxed and pointing downwards when moving through foliage and the like), that the covers would break up the long black line of the top of the gun a bit. Dunno if that actually makes much of a difference in concealment, but it made sense to me anyway.

Thanks man - I'll have a look this evening and see if I can figure something out!

Apologies for the double post, too late to edit. I've got my eyes on a Samson MFG Evo rail which I've found available in the UK, for a surprisingly reasonable price. However, from what I can tell it doesn't include a barrel nut due to the design mounting onto a stock AR barrel nut.

Have any of you guys in the US tried to install something similar, say for example a Troy TRX, with any success? The Samson rail slides over the barrel nut's teeth, so essentially what I'm asking is if the KWA nut is the same spec as an R/S barrel nut.

• Like 1

Someone over at the KWA forums said that the new Troy rails were able to slide onto the KWA barrel nut.

I'm not sure whether this applies to Samson too, if the price is not too dear, then may be worth a go.

Ahhh awesome. They fit using exactly the same method, so I'd say that's enough evidence to give it a go. The Samson rail is £164, which considering is only £60 or so more than a Madbull replica, isn't bad at all.

All depends on the KWA nut being the same size & shape as the RS really.

The Samson Evo and Rainier Arms rails use the same mounting method; which consists of a pair of small brackets being placed on to the barrel nut, the rail then slides over and clamps on to these brackets.  I've found the correct die to re-profile upper threads to the correct spec on eBay UK for a good price, but if the KWA nut will work then that whole process (and the purchase of a RS nut) can be avoided.

Bear in mind when Lantac say 'Available' it just means the product is available to them for importing and it'll likely take a considerable amount of time.  If they have something physically in stock the stock page will say something alone the lines of 'ready to ship'.

All depends on the KWA nut being the same size & shape as the RS really.

The Samson Evo and Rainier Arms rails use the same mounting method; which consists of a pair of small brackets being placed on to the barrel nut, the rail then slides over and clamps on to these brackets.  I've found the correct die to re-profile upper threads to the correct spec on eBay UK for a good price, but if the KWA nut will work then that whole process (and the purchase of a RS nut) can be avoided.

Bear in mind when Lantac say 'Available' it just means the product is available to them for importing and it'll likely take a considerable amount of time.  If they have something physically in stock the stock page will say something alone the lines of 'ready to ship'.

That's what I'm hoping for; I've checked out the installation video on the Samson website, and it seems like it'll be a drop on fit to the stock nut assuming the stock nut is the right size and dimensions; I just need confirmation of that really. 

Bad news on the Lantac thing though... I had a look through their T&C's and they only described backorders and in stock items... I'm assuming if it says 'Available' that'll mean it's a special order from the US, and I imagine with everyone buying every AR part ever over there at the moment it'll take half a millenium... Balls :(

Last weekend we encountered something with an LM4 what I thought to be impossible: accidental discharge. :D

With a Guarder steel trigger, safety off and soaking wet from being out for hours in heavy rain the gun just fired by itself in the hands of my girlfriend. That was the most wtf moment of my airsoft career.

Probably as she moved the gun the trigger just slipped off from the hammer. The gun has really short and easy trigger pull.

Taking a long shot with this one.  But does anyone know of any aftermarket 14.5" barrels?  My rifle feels really bloody heavy compared to my WOCs, especially up front, and I can tell it's the barrel at fault.  All I can find when browsing the HK stores is 10.5, 12 and 16" barrels.

Bad news on the Lantac thing though... I had a look through their T&C's and they only described backorders and in stock items... I'm assuming if it says 'Available' that'll mean it's a special order from the US, and I imagine with everyone buying every AR part ever over there at the moment it'll take half a millenium... Balls :(

'Fraid so.  I looked around a few different US based retailers of RS parts.. slim pickings doesn't cover it.  You go on to the actual websites of Troy or Midwest Industries etc and there's a great big warning sign on the front page saying:

"*fruitcage* off!  Just leave us alone OK?!? god..."

Taking a long shot with this one.  But does anyone know of any aftermarket 14.5" barrels?  My rifle feels really bloody heavy compared to my WOCs, especially up front, and I can tell it's the barrel at fault.  All I can find when browsing the HK stores is 10.5, 12 and 16" barrels.

'Fraid so.  I looked around a few different US based retailers of RS parts.. slim pickings doesn't cover it.  You go on to the actual websites of Troy or Midwest Industries etc and there's a great big warning sign on the front page saying:

"*fruitcage* off!  Just leave us alone OK?!? god..."

I'm pretty certain it's only Dytac doing aftermarket barrels at the moment, which is a shame. I'm running mine without the extension at the moment as a 10.5 so it's not too bad, but the barrel is definitely quite weighty.

Just checked out Troy's website - Big red letters and everything! I think I'm just going to accept reality and go with another MB rail.

Whilst I'm here, I'm quite tempted by the idea of building a DMR out of one of these; Would locking it to semi only be as simple as taking out the full auto sear?

Got a KWA LM4C a couple of days ago. Thing double feeds/jams like crazy. Replaced the loading nozzle's main o-ring and it hasn't misfired on  maybe 14 mags. WTH?! Oh yeah..I also modified my nozzle after all the double feed/jamming issue so the nozzle is cut more like a standard marui loading nozzle for GBB's. When I get a new stock nozzle, I'll replace the current nozzle and see if all it needed was a loading nozzle o-ring. Extremely weird. Wasted  full can of propane on the gun at about 55-70 degrees. A couple thousand rounds fired easily...filled with misfeeds, jams, and mags venting out of the breech and into my face (I'm a lefty shooter). Seems like its all sorted out now.

RE: Troy Rails

The Troy Alpha Rail is designed to clamp onto the existing barrel nut of the rifle. The older Troy BattleRail TRX had a priority nut. This nut needed to be threaded onto the receiver and then the BattleRail mated to the proprietary nut.

There is a licensed copy of the BattleRail available from Madbull, and mounting this rail, just like the real one, requires the proprietary nut.

The Troy Alpha Rail does not, as far as I am aware, have a replica available.

I installed an Alpha Rail onto a G&P barrel nut (attached to a G&P receiver) and it fit fine. It was a very easy install.

Edited by Gigueand

Got a KWA LM4C a couple of days ago. Thing double feeds/jams like crazy. Replaced the loading nozzle's main o-ring and it hasn't misfired on  maybe 14 mags. WTH?! Oh yeah..I also modified my nozzle after all the double feed/jamming issue so the nozzle is cut more like a standard marui loading nozzle for GBB's. When I get a new stock nozzle, I'll replace the current nozzle and see if all it needed was a loading nozzle o-ring. Extremely weird. Wasted  full can of propane on the gun at about 55-70 degrees. A couple thousand rounds fired easily...filled with misfeeds, jams, and mags venting out of the breech and into my face (I'm a lefty shooter). Seems like its all sorted out now.

That's odd; What brand BB's are you using? The KWA is definitely picky about them, but saying that, if swapping out the O ring has fixed the issues maybe the stock one was just a lemon and allowing the nozzle too much lateral movement? Either way, glad to hear it's fixed.

RE: Troy Rails

The Troy Alpha Rail is designed to clamp onto the existing barrel nut of the rifle. The older Troy BattleRail TRX had a priority nut. This nut needed to be threaded onto the receiver and then the BattleRail mated to the proprietary nut.

There is a licensed copy of the BattleRail available from Madbull, and mounting this rail, just like the real one, requires the proprietary nut.

The Troy Alpha Rail does not, as far as I am aware, have a replica available.

I installed an Alpha Rail onto a G&P barrel nut (attached to a G&P receiver) and it fit fine. It was a very easy install.

I've pretty much given up on the idea of an R/S rail; CK was right about Lantac, they (very helpfully and politely, to be fair) replied to my E-mail and said there's a lead time of at least a month on a Samson rail, and likely a lot longer than that. Bah :(

I've decided I'm gonna go with a Madbull DD MFR instead, as I really liked the look and feel on my old WOC. 

Lastly, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but does anyone other than Dytac make outer barrels yet? I'd really like a 12" with a mid length gas system so the gas block sits just in front of the rail, but I believe Dytac's 16" is the only one good for a mid length system...

*edit* - Also, does anybody know anyone other than WGC or Ehobby who stocks a decent range of aftermarket bits? Both WGC and Ehobby have a couple of the things I need, but neither have all of them!

Edited by hwagan

I used to use FG ladders on the upper rail of one of my old guns, and my thinking was that if you're holding the gun in a patrol style position (No idea of the technical term, but when you're holding it relatively relaxed and pointing downwards when moving through foliage and the like), that the covers would break up the long black line of the top of the gun a bit. Dunno if that actually makes much of a difference in concealment, but it made sense to me anyway.

Thanks man - I'll have a look this evening and see if I can figure something out!

I actually have no idea, the field by my house are sooo boring and just look like iraq. No woodland or anything :( 

but i'd say they dont damage anything, their made of a soft, elastic plastic that shouldn't really do damage to the rails, well at least my rails are perfect :P