KWA LM4 PTR GBB

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPx35ElNS0">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPx35ElNS0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">   I'll keep you guys

After a very long wait, I finally got my hands on KWA's new LM4 PTR. What follows are my initial impressions after owning it for 1 day, and using it in a few rounds of CQB. But first some pictures:  

Posted Images

Hi all! so I've taken my LM4 on a whole lot of excursions now and the finish has picked up a lot of chips, dings, and whatnot from the heavy use. (We often play on overnight games)

Recently, I've decided to give it a little makeover.

Installed:

• DYTAC Rail, I forgot what it is specifically. (Replaced the noveske rail)
  • Replaced the magpul sights for some offset rapid transition sights (zeroed at 10 to 20 ft to take advantage of the bb curve)
  • added a magnified acog sight.
  • Bipod
  • Suppressor
  • Foregrip
  • RA Tech steel inner barrel and hop up system. (good results with .36g bbs for me, very accurate)

Then I painted it to cover up the chipped paint and all.

Here you go:

My LM4 Then and now:

KWA_LM4_MPE_02_zps734b0d0e.jpg

529108_10151746849223270_1229923266_n_zp

No pics of my LM4, but I removed the barrel extension, attached a KX-3, then a top rail with a HSP Thorntail and a Surefire G2 LED.

I also just bought a RA Tech 150% recoil buffer kit and a TBB, the later which I'm going to chop to 9.5'' for my SBR build.

I kept the stiffer OEM spring along with the new buffer and all the spacers - is there any issue with this combination, like undue wear on the bolt catch, impact block or buffer lock? I've fired 15 BBs, tops, since the gun isn't fully built. It seems to lock open and the recoil is nice. I used the OEM spring since the bolt returns a bit more energetically when I hand-charge it than the RA tech one, which is lighter.

After a lot of help from uscm and hawaiianjuggernaut, a lot of time, research and effort my LM4's finally good to go.

IMG_1796_zpsdb8db506.jpg

IMG_1795_zpsb8524459.jpg

Did spend quite a while dremeling down the bolt catch but it's still nowhere near thin enough for a BAD to go on there, so I'm not sure what to do with it at the moment.  Either way it still functions perfectly fine so I'm pretty happy.

• Like 1

Ah, if only.  Used a diamond dust dremel bit, spent a good half hour constantly grinding away but that steel is resilient stuff.  I'm sure I could get there with a little bit more time invested, I think it's just the fact that I've already removed quite a lot of material and a whole lot more is going to need to come off which is making me a bit paranoid.

Can you get stock replacements from KWA (anyone know)?  Personally I'd feel a lot happier having a new one set aside in the event I weaken the original too much.  Not sure why I'm so worried because I didn't buy a backup upper when I did the re-threading, just took a gamble and fortunately it worked out.  Scumbag brain.

Ah, if only.  Used a diamond dust dremel bit, spent a good half hour constantly grinding away but that steel is resilient stuff.  I'm sure I could get there with a little bit more time invested, I think it's just the fact that I've already removed quite a lot of material and a whole lot more is going to need to come off which is making me a bit paranoid.

Can you get stock replacements from KWA (anyone know)?  Personally I'd feel a lot happier having a new one set aside in the event I weaken the original too much.  Not sure why I'm so worried because I didn't buy a backup upper when I did the re-threading, just took a gamble and fortunately it worked out.  Scumbag brain.

((Sorry about double post, didn't see the last page.))

KWA does sell nearly every part if you call the pro shop or retailers that happen to stock them. The bolt stop assembly is about $12 at the stores I'm looking at, and it comes pre-drilled for putting in the spring. Not sure if they ship to the UK, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

EDIT: That said, the B.A.D. is a nice piece of kit, but if you feel it'll compromise the integrity of the bolt stop, it's perfectly doable to run the rifle without. It's mostly advantageous, IMO, to left-handed shooters and for expedited clearing of double feeds, which aren't so much an issue for airsofters. Nothing wrong with it, just food for thought.

Edited by John_234

Sweet rifle! Though, on a realism note I'm not sure the flashlight being directly beside the muzzle device is a good idea - can anybody factcheck me on that?

Thank you.  It wouldn't do the light much good for real being in that position, no doubt.  Probably be ok for very occasional or very brief firing but it'd suffer from anything much more than that I'm sure, however the rifle's just my idea of a good GBBr for skirmishing, the reliability of the KWA system with upgraded ergonomics.  I'd have got a 300A if I could which would negate the issue, but the 600s are waaay cheaper to get hold of.

KWA does sell nearly every part if you call the pro shop or retailers that happen to stock them. The bolt stop assembly is about $12 at the stores I'm looking at, and it comes pre-drilled for putting in the spring. Not sure if they ship to the UK, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

EDIT: That said, the B.A.D. is a nice piece of kit, but if you feel it'll compromise the integrity of the bolt stop, it's perfectly doable to run the rifle without. It's mostly advantageous, IMO, to left-handed shooters and for expedited clearing of double feeds, which aren't so much an issue for airsofters. Nothing wrong with it, just food for thought.

Yeah I did suspect that, none of the UK or HK retailers carry that part far as I can tell and I don't use US shops for airsoft stuff (even if they do ship it's not economical) but I'll figure something out.  I've used it in game already without the lever and I've shot plenty of rounds through ARs without one, just nice to have that increased capability is all. 

Edited by CKinnerley

Thank you.  It wouldn't do the light much good for real being in that position, no doubt.  Probably be ok for very occasional or very brief firing but it'd suffer from anything much more than that I'm sure, however the rifle's just my idea of a good GBBr for skirmishing, the reliability of the KWA system with upgraded ergonomics.  I'd have got a 300A if I could which would negate the issue, but the 600s are waaay cheaper to get hold of.

Yeah I did suspect that, none of the UK or HK retailers carry that part far as I can tell and I don't use US shops for airsoft stuff (even if they do ship it's not economical) but I'll figure something out.  I've used it in game already without the lever and I've shot plenty of rounds through ARs without one, just nice to have that increased capability is all. 

Yeah, you could experiment with the exact light positioning too, but again, minor, minor realism issue.

Maybe KWA itself could offer you better rates than normal US stores?

You also have to shave the back of the BAD lever a little to help clear the receiver. Nice build by the way.

Thank you, I had forgotten about that I have to admit.  Good catch.

I can take pics of how my bad lever and paddle look if you nee, it tooke a while to get it perfect, even now I could potentially shave more off the back of the bad lever

I certainly would not say no to that, I've seen videos before but never had any decent photos to work from.

Yeah, you could experiment with the exact light positioning too, but again, minor, minor realism issue.

Maybe KWA itself could offer you better rates than normal US stores?

Quite possibly, I'll certainly get in touch with them to make enquiries.

Ok so I've run into a small but disastrous problem! I've managed to bend the copper hop arm. Stupidly sat on it. And I need this rifle up and running for thursday NAE!!! Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK that has them for sale? Or does anyone by any chance have a spare hop unit that I can just drop in that they would let me borrow for the weekend  with a deposit on the understanding i replace any broken parts if needed. Im desperate here please if someone can help in anyway I would greatly appreciate it! 

I've got a maple leaf EVO II en route from china but couldnt find one in the UK and I dont think it'll get here in time!!

Help please if possible?!?!!

Edited by DeltaZero

Okay, complete confusion here..

Is this the US KWA version, or is it the KSC version labelled as KWA?

Trying to tell if it has the steel bolt but can't tell from pics:

http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/product_detail1.php?search_From=category&item=KWA-GBR-M4MPEM&search=category&rs=KWA%20GBBRs&catid=76&cat=635

I believe it's the KWA Hong Kong version; I have a feeling Bladerunner168 can confirm this if he sees this, because I think he had that particular model!

That's got the aluminium bolt carrier right? Any other differences to the US version? Assuming its not just basically the KSC model.

Just want to avoid paying LWA prices for the US model

Nah, steel - I believe all models have the steel carrier, unless there are new ones I've not yet heard of. I had the model LWA sell, and it was generally fantastic - Only real reason I shifted mine was I'm a sucker for trademarks, and I've gotten pretty good with the WA system's foibles. Might be worth contacting Milspec Solutions - They previously sold them, although they're off the website now - However, they might still be able to get one in!

Okay, complete confusion here..

Is this the US KWA version, or is it the KSC version labelled as KWA?

Trying to tell if it has the steel bolt but can't tell from pics:

http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/product_detail1.php?search_From=category&item=KWA-GBR-M4MPEM&search=category&rs=KWA%20GBBRs&catid=76&cat=635

I believe it's the KWA Hong Kong version; I have a feeling Bladerunner168 can confirm this if he sees this, because I think he had that particular model!

It's a bit confusing but I bought the KSC LM4 PTS which came in a KWA LM4 PTS box.

As far as I know, a proper KWA will come with the GEN2 hop unit whereas KSC's come with the old school ball bearing type.

Also, most mods and upgade parts on the market were designed for the KSC version but some were cross compatible, I know the Dytac outer barrels were not.

USCMCorps may have a better insight into whether Asian KWA LM4 PTS's are indeed USA versions or rebranded KSC's. 

• Like 1