KWA LM4 PTR GBB

m2UuWl.jpg

After a very long wait, I finally got my hands on KWA's new LM4 PTR. What follows are my initial impressions after owning it for 1 day, and using it in a few rounds of CQB. But first some pictures:

AtJAx.jpg

ioyuG.jpg

First thing I noticed about this rifle is the good heft it has to it. With the magazine in, it weighs a little over 7 pounds. Not by any means "heavy" but it has a good solid weight to it. I also noticed how well the parts fit together. almost no wobble to the upper receiver at all. much better then the WE M16a1 I previously owned. There was one small disappointment in that the carry handle is plastic. Here are some close ups of the receiver:

trNcFl.jpg

eAC9rl.jpg

The material of the outer parts feels very sturdy and solid. very similar to the material used on the frames of KWA pistols. The plastic used in the grips and stock feels nice and solid, though Ive replaced mine with furniture from an LMT, since foregrip furniture on RS grips has a certain quality to the surface that airsoft guns never seem to replicate. The foregrip and stock were easily interchangeable with RS ones though I have no tried the pistol grip yet. Now on to the internals.

pSgo7l.jpg

This is where the LM4 really impressed me. When tested with a magnet, all of the trigger set internals seem to be made of steel, with the exception of the trigger itself, which appears to be aluminum. This more then makes up for the plastic carry handle in my opinion as that is an easily replaced part. There doesnt seem to be any need to upgrade or replace any of these internals. The bolt stop functions flawlessly if a bit stiff. It seems to be superior to the WE style, as it does not rely on a tiny nub of metal to stop the bolt.

6iP3rl.jpg

The bolt carrier group is also solid steel. and all one piece that I can tell, though I have not tried to remove the gas keys. It has some nice weight to it which likely is what accounts for the heavy recoil the gun has.

THz5tl.jpg

The loading nozzle itself has an interesting design. instead of being one solid piece, there is an outer and inner portion. The inner portion being some type of metal, with the outer portion being plastic. Hopefully this will prevent broken nozzles from ever occurring. On to the magazines:

ZxQxbl.jpg

The magazine has a similar weight to a real, loaded AR15 magazine. and is only slightly off by a hair in size. The major difference is that there are grooves cut into the magazine, to fit matching grooves in the magazine well. This prevents any real magazines from being inserted. Or any other GBB mags for that matter.

The only thing that slightly bugs me about the whole gun, actually, is this:

1n6YJl.jpg

Like the KJW M4, the forward receiver pin area on the upper receiver has "ears" where the trunnion fits in. This only bothers me because these ears broke on my KJW M4 and I fear the same may happen here. To avoid this, both receiver pins should be removed, and the upper receiver never swung forward with any force when disassembling.

Now, about the performance. While the KWA website lists this gun as firing at 410 FPS with .2 BB's, mine chrono'd at around 355 with .2's. I was more then happy with this as I play indoor primarily, and was able to give the gun a quick test run last night.

The accuracy seems to be about average. at 30-ish feet I was hitting a roughly 1 inch grouping, though this was not be any means thorough and proper testing. It seems to be more then accurate enough for play and I intend on repeating the accuracy test when I get some more time.

Gas consumption seems reasonable as well, and the recoil is significant, especially on auto. I was able to get 2 magazines out of one fill of gas. I was also easily able to dump the entire magazine on full auto with no noticeable cooldown effect on the ROF. This was all done at room temperature, indoors.

Overall, I am impressed with the high level of quality in this gun, and look forward to getting into some more games with it. As no spare magazines were available at the time that I played last night, I could only do a so-so test run. Once I have some additional mags I will be able to properly test it in game.

Edited by Brigg
  • Like 2
  • Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPx35ElNS0">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPx35ElNS0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">   I'll keep you guys

After a very long wait, I finally got my hands on KWA's new LM4 PTR. What follows are my initial impressions after owning it for 1 day, and using it in a few rounds of CQB. But first some pictures:  

Posted Images

Magazines hold 40 rounds. Im not sure about the hopup since i only played with it briefly indoors, at night. but Ill test it out next time.

As for AEG compatibility, I have no idea. I have never owned an AEG nor do I intend to. I only run GBB guns, so my knowledge of AEGs is limited at best.

Edited by Brigg

Steel internals, steel bolt, HELL YEAH!

The RS stock you put on, milspec I assume ?

Another thing that came to mind is overall RS compatability. Considering all the hoops KWA had to go through to make it ATF approved then I would assume RS compat. has suffered ? Test everything you've got!

Edited by NonEx

The RS stock you put on, milspec I assume ?

Inquiring minds too want to know.

BTW, congrats on getting one! Which retailer in the U.S. has it already? Is that finish gray or is it just the flash?

Sorry for the 20 ???s :bounce:

Do you guys aware of that this gun is basically a KSC M4?

As most of the gun is TM Spec, milspec stocks are good to go, expect some wooble. Unless KWA changed that, as well. It is a pity the upper receiver is still the multi-pieced design. Brigg, can you scan some pages of the manual? The ones with the blown up diagrams and parts lists. Also could you show more pictures about the magazine?

Unless one starts mindlessly increasing the recoil by adding heavier parts it is not likely to encounter any problem with the gun.

It's funny that the KWA versions are equipped with the new hopup and I have not being able to order it from KSC since January. But the KWA one is now without questions one of the best GBB platforms available.

You can see the new hopup in the KSC HK45 review topic.

Likewise, I really would love to see someone test this gun to see how it compares to the KJ reliability. It seems the recoil on this one is going to be much greater.

Well, i previously owned a KJW M4. And while it was reliable shooting-wise, the receiver itself cracked and KJW never sent me a replacement even after months of emails back and forth. So as long as the actual externals on the KWA hold up, In my opinion it will be a better rifle.

Oh, and as far as recoil goes, I think this has slightly more recoil then my KJW had, but thats just from memory as my KJW is a useless pile of parts now. I have a friend who still uses a KJW as his main weapon for games so Ill compare next time we both go to a game.

Edited by Brigg

This looks like another WA clone to me just with heavily reinforced parts right out of the box at a cheaper price tag. They addressed the issues that the previous system has and seems to have tweaked somethings to make those go away. Will be interesting to watch this gun and see how it holds up once 10k+ rounds go through it.

Edited by steve3057

This looks like another WA clone to me just with heavily reinforced parts right out of the box at a cheaper price tag. They addressed the issues that the previous system has and seems to have tweaked somethings to make those go away. Will be interesting to watch this gun and see how it holds up once 10k+ rounds go through it.

Right on the money, I even think that these are and always were simply KSC rifles that have reinforcement treatment in the States for the US market...

Do you guys aware of that this gun is basically a KSC M4?

Are you aware that KWA designed and manufactured the M4 GBBR for both KSC and KWA? Apparently Not. :bestgun:

In fact, KSC is practically rebranding KWAs, by contributing little to no R&D. They are only able to release before KWA does because of their long term contract from working with KWA back in the days.

I'm sure KWA, the designer and manufacturer could do better than what they made for KSC, especially after several generations of updates and improvements by the time it arrived here in the U.S. The KSC M4 GBBR can be seen as the very first generation of the M4 GBBR design... Talk about being outdated.

Hence..

Some parts [on the KWA LM4] are enhanced.

Hopup chamber is the new version

Steel firing group

Steel Bolt Carrier

Not including redesigning to be ATF legal, various springs (i.e. buffer tube spring) were also enhanced on the KWA LM4 prior to its release to improve the performance and reliability.

Edited by greatwatermelon

In fact, KSC is practically rebranding KWAs, by contributing little to no R&D. They are only able to release before KWA does because of their long term contract from working with KWA back in the days.

Apparently you are selling your ideas as facts. You should not. :bestgun:

Edited by emp3ror86

Are you aware that KWA designed and manufactured the M4 GBBR for both KSC and KWA? Apparently Not. :bestgun:

I'm sure KWA, the designer and manufacturer could do better than what they made for KSC, especially after several generations of updates and improvements by the time it arrived here in the U.S. The KSC M4 GBBR can be seen as the very first generation of the M4 GBBR design... Talk about being outdated.

Hence..

Ummm NO, KSC R&D the M4, KWA made it better with further R&D. KSC is NOT a rebrand of KWA. Historically KSC did all the R&D and KWA did the manufacturing. Last 4-5 years, KWA began their own R&D team, Kriss is an example of that. Go read up KWA central.

Not including redesigning to be ATF legal, various springs (i.e. buffer tube spring) were also enhanced on the KWA LM4 prior to its release to improve the performance and reliability.

Until someone have both side to side to compare I will say that's not the case, from reports, KWAUSA import the M4 and install upgrade, meaning core component is still the same. Just because you swap a baseplate from HK germany made to HK US made does not mean it's enhanced (in reference to US Heckler&Koch firearms and 922r)

Edited by kullwarrior
  • Like 1