KWA LM4 PTR GBB

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPx35ElNS0">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPx35ElNS0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">   I'll keep you guys

After a very long wait, I finally got my hands on KWA's new LM4 PTR. What follows are my initial impressions after owning it for 1 day, and using it in a few rounds of CQB. But first some pictures:  

Posted Images

Outside it was just above freezing. The back store room probably a few degrees C. So 40f at a guess. Front shop where I tried to cycle it was an ok room temp. I was impressed by the weight of the gun, thought the mags wernt as heavy as I'd been lead to expect. There was a lot to like about it. But I was hoping for better cold performance. That said it was brand new so could have been lacking in lube but I wasn't in the shop to buy so didn't mess about trying to get it working.

I picked up a LM4 not too long ago to replace the aging KJW that is now sitting around collecting dust. I haven't took it out to the field yet, but trusting everyone's reviews I should expect good results. I already started adding and replacing things.

8255721782_2b7ae96379_z.jpg

I just broke it down to do get some work done on the upper. Here's a hint of what's to come.

8255721546_d12d074705_z.jpg

I happened to snag a PTS rifle with a "00022 US" serial. I guess that's pretty neat, low volume serial and whatnot.

I've run my PTS for a month or two now. Love it. It's dead reliable, recoils well and has a clean trigger. I haven't had issues with the hop yet, though I do have this odd issue where the bolt will shove BBs into the magazine gasket under certain conditions. It's bizarre.

I'm on the verge of picking up one of these instead of a new G&P for a couple of reasons, mainly the issues I'm having in actually obtaining the WOC, but also partly due to the 'Pick it up and go' nature the LM4 seems to possess;

Anyone able to answer these 2 questions?

A ) Does anyone know if the LM4 PTS uses a 2 piece outer barrel? If so, is it just a case of unscrewing the 4" extension and replacing the inner barrel with an appropriate length?

B ) Does anyone know if KSC nozzle assemblies are compatible with the KWA? RA-Tech do a complete NPAS nozzle for the KSC, which I'd prefer to chopping the inner barrel if I can help it.

• Like 1

I'm on the verge of picking up one of these instead of a new G&P for a couple of reasons, mainly the issues I'm having in actually obtaining the WOC, but also partly due to the 'Pick it up and go' nature the LM4 seems to possess;

Anyone able to answer these 2 questions?

A ) Does anyone know if the LM4 PTS uses a 2 piece outer barrel? If so, is it just a case of unscrewing the 4" extension and replacing the inner barrel with an appropriate length?

B ) Does anyone know if KSC nozzle assemblies are compatible with the KWA? RA-Tech do a complete NPAS nozzle for the KSC, which I'd prefer to chopping the inner barrel if I can help it.

A) Yes. It's glued in place, so most people use a heat gun then a padded vise clamp to get it off. To replace the inner though, you need to get the barrel nut unscrewed, which is also glued in place. Some people have broken their uppers improperly messing with the barrel nut and a wrench. From what I understand, you should lock the front and rear points where the reciever pins go into a clamp and then use the barrel wrench and a heat gun.

B) Sorry, I'm not sure about that. You should check the KWA technical forums > LM4 section for info on that.

Excellent, cheers for the help guys. I've dealt with glued barrel nuts before, so I should be able to overcome that and the barrel nut - And knowing the NPAS will work means I know I'll be good to get it within FPS limits. Awesome news :)

Just be sure to look up the experiences of people who have done similar, and definitely clamp the rifle correctly. You really don't want to destroy that upper.

Just be sure to look up the experiences of people who have done similar, and definitely clamp the rifle correctly. You really don't want to destroy that upper.

Thanks man - I'll borrow a few clamps and ensure it's all set up correctly before attacking it with the wrench; If anyone reading the thread has any good tips or hints (precisely where to clamp the upper etc) it'd be greatly appreciated.

You can check the barrel question at the KWAUSA website on the exploded parts diagram of the rifle.

Good plan, should have thought of that :P The exploded diagram confirms it does indeed have a two piece outer barrel, which is awesome news! Bring on Christmas day!

Thanks man - I'll borrow a few clamps and ensure it's all set up correctly before attacking it with the wrench; If anyone reading the thread has any good tips or hints (precisely where to clamp the upper etc) it'd be greatly appreciated.

Well, to clarify; SOME rifles need to be clamped down because the barrel nut is so tight. Others just need heat and a properly-fitting armorer's wrench, anything from a hairdryer to a propane torch.

Here's a takedown guide: http://kwausa.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8778

Discussion on the heatgun and clamp stuff: http://kwausa.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9721

Thanks man, that doesn't look too tough of a job. I'll remind myself to sign up to the KWA forums once it arrives 'n all. I'm used to G&P barrel nuts being extremely difficult to remove, but then they have one piece upper receivers so there isn't so much of a worry about damaging them. I'll make sure I get a vice in and go at it the sensible way rather than just plain assaulting the thing.

Thanks man, that doesn't look too tough of a job. I'll remind myself to sign up to the KWA forums once it arrives 'n all. I'm used to G&P barrel nuts being extremely difficult to remove, but then they have one piece upper receivers so there isn't so much of a worry about damaging them. I'll make sure I get a vice in and go at it the sensible way rather than just plain assaulting the thing.

Lemme know how it goes, I actually want to convert my LM4 PTS into an SBR. That, or remove the FSB and turn it into a 14.5 middy carbine.

Will do, I'm planning on chucking a Madbull SWS 9.28 rail on it; Anything over a 12" barrel and I just end up beating the *suitcase* out of trees for no good reason. Still trying to decide what stock and grip are eventually gonna go on it, but the fact I can't afford a stock and grip until the end of January should save me stressing about that for now.

mate! welcome to the club :D

I'm putting a Dytac 12" KAC style on mine, I'll post some pics on the AR15 thread when I'm done.

Heh, cheers - Just managed to snag the last one from LWA, so it'l actually be here for Christmas day. Nothing says festivity like a replica AR15 :P

Yeah it's meant to be a creative build video as a few people didnt believe it was a LM4.

Also for the barrel nut, I had my brother hold down the receiver, I used an armorers wrench, and tapped it with a rubber mallet. It came off after a few taps.

The 4:16 on the phone after the waking up part genuinely gave me a good chuckle... Shoulda posted the vid on the 1st of April though really!