KWA LM4 PTR GBB

Heh, cheers - Just managed to snag the last one from LWA, so it'l actually be here for Christmas day. Nothing says festivity like a replica AR15 :P

Are the ones from LWA from Asia i.e do they have the old school KSC hop?

Those Dytac barrels are pretty okay, and suprisingly lightweight.

I fitted mine yesterday, very please with the results

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPx35ElNS0">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPx35ElNS0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">   I'll keep you guys

After a very long wait, I finally got my hands on KWA's new LM4 PTR. What follows are my initial impressions after owning it for 1 day, and using it in a few rounds of CQB. But first some pictures:  

Posted Images

G&P Pmags are about 490g, and I could deal with them alright... The KWA ones are around 580 or so right? I'm only intending to carry 5 + 1 in the gun eventually.

Also, Bladerunner, have you gotten the chance to shoot much in cold British weather yet? It's hard to find an accurate conclusion as to whether these things will function on a very very cold day... I can always keep the mags under my coat if needs be, but it'd be nice to know I don't have to!

G&P Pmags are about 490g, and I could deal with them alright... The KWA ones are around 580 or so right? I'm only intending to carry 5 + 1 in the gun eventually.

Also, Bladerunner, have you gotten the chance to shoot much in cold British weather yet? It's hard to find an accurate conclusion as to whether these things will function on a very very cold day... I can always keep the mags under my coat if needs be, but it'd be nice to know I don't have to!

In my experience they're pretty hardcore magazines as far as typical variances in weather goes. California doesn't get that cold during daytime, but it is essentially a desert, so the nights are very cold and it tends to run fine.

• Like 1
In my experience they're pretty hardcore magazines as far as typical variances in weather goes. California doesn't get that cold during daytime, but it is essentially a desert, so the nights are very cold and it tends to run fine.

Cheers man, good to know - I don't mind keeping my mags under a coat or somewhere warm and sacrificing a bit of reload speed for functionality even if they don't like zero degrees, but they sound like they perform similarly to my old G&P Pmags, if not better, which is good news!

KWA PMAGS weight in about 750g  :fear2:

Cold weather usage wise, 9c (lowest temp I got to use it at) was OK, cycling well on green gas, venting was minimal. Mags were not covered, just inside pouches.

750g still amazes me for a Polymer shelled mag - I'm going with the STANAGS personally. 9c with a bit of vapor again sounds pretty close to my G&P, so I'm more than happy with that :)

Couldn't get the one I tried to cycle, best guess it was a few degrees in the shop store room.

Was it in LWA's store room? If so, you'd better not have scuffed my gun ;) Still, I had my WOC working on a day that read 3c on the car thermometer by keeping mags under my coat, so I figure as long as the KWA can match that I'll be fine.

Dagnabit, why can't it be Christmas yet... 

Cheers man, good to know - I don't mind keeping my mags under a coat or somewhere warm and sacrificing a bit of reload speed for functionality even if they don't like zero degrees, but they sound like they perform similarly to my old G&P Pmags, if not better, which is good news!

750g still amazes me for a Polymer shelled mag - I'm going with the STANAGS personally. 9c with a bit of vapor again sounds pretty close to my G&P, so I'm more than happy with that :)

Err, I'd actually get the PMAGs for cold weather. The plastic shell is another layer of insulation for the cold to break through. Plus, they're just very nice magazines (I believe they use actual PMAG bodies.)

They are heavy, but they're also very ergonomic and durable magazines, so I highly suggest them if you can find them.

Err, I'd actually get the PMAGs for cold weather. The plastic shell is another layer of insulation for the cold to break through. Plus, they're just very nice magazines (I believe they use actual PMAG bodies.)

They are heavy, but they're also very ergonomic and durable magazines, so I highly suggest them if you can find them.

I do like the Pmags, but I prefer the look of STANAGS with a magpul on the base; my old G&P WOC Pmags were actually metal shells, and they coped alright in the cold - I'm sure polymer mags would perform slightly better on a cold day, but they're a fair bit more expensive in the UK as well as the looks preference for STANAGS. Still, depending how good this thing is I may well end up spending my march bonus on the PTS model and I'll probably end up with a set of Pmags for that as well.

Going on what I've read and seen of the KWA, it really is seeming to be a very good platform, and I can see myself with several of them as time and money permits, assuming it lives up to my expectations :P 

I do like the Pmags, but I prefer the look of STANAGS with a magpul on the base; my old G&P WOC Pmags were actually metal shells, and they coped alright in the cold - I'm sure polymer mags would perform slightly better on a cold day, but they're a fair bit more expensive in the UK as well as the looks preference for STANAGS. Still, depending how good this thing is I may well end up spending my march bonus on the PTS model and I'll probably end up with a set of Pmags for that as well.

Going on what I've read and seen of the KWA, it really is seeming to be a very good platform, and I can see myself with several of them as time and money permits, assuming it lives up to my expectations :P

Well, if that's the case you could probably just stick handwarmers into your mag pouches and/or wrap the magazines for the cold.

KWAs are really nice. I just want to do the bolt catch mod on mine - that's where you add a spring and cut out a bit of the bolt catch so it releases when you charge the rifle, like an actual AR. A dude on the KWA forum also modified his hop to be adjusted without the easily-broken KWA system, which is great.

Edited by John_234
Well, if that's the case you could probably just stick handwarmers into your mag pouches and/or wrap the magazines for the cold.

KWAs are really nice. I just want to do the bolt catch mod on mine - that's where you add a spring and cut out a bit of the bolt catch so it releases when you charge the rifle, like an actual AR. A dude on the KWA forum also modified his hop to be adjusted without the easily-broken KWA system, which is great.

I've always had quite a good amount of success with just wearing a jacket over my chest rig - It keeps the mags at a reasonable temperature, and although it's a bit of a nuisance to reload it saves the effort of handwarmers and the like. I don't usually end up in particularly dramatic engagements as a result of my playing style either, so I've found it works quite well for me at least. Another good option is to use a chest rig and keep the mags in the pocket between the molle panel and the inside of the rig, which also traps a fair amount of heat.

I'm definitely planning on doing the bolt catch mod, and I'm also going to give Akira's trigger-job mod a go - The videos make everything nice and clear and they seem relatively simple to follow, so I've got a new set of Dremel tools on the way for the purpose! When it comes to the Hop I'm going to see how the KWA unit's performance is and take a lot of care when adjusting it; If I do end up breaking it or it doesn't meet my performance requirements I'll get onto modding, but I'm hoping it doesn't end up needing it.

Mine is currently sitting in the parcel force packaging in the spare room of my house, and it's killing me to have to wait until the 25th! Buying accessories for it and plotting things should keep me amused until then :P

I've always had quite a good amount of success with just wearing a jacket over my chest rig - It keeps the mags at a reasonable temperature, and although it's a bit of a nuisance to reload it saves the effort of handwarmers and the like. I don't usually end up in particularly dramatic engagements as a result of my playing style either, so I've found it works quite well for me at least. Another good option is to use a chest rig and keep the mags in the pocket between the molle panel and the inside of the rig, which also traps a fair amount of heat.

I'm definitely planning on doing the bolt catch mod, and I'm also going to give Akira's trigger-job mod a go - The videos make everything nice and clear and they seem relatively simple to follow, so I've got a new set of Dremel tools on the way for the purpose! When it comes to the Hop I'm going to see how the KWA unit's performance is and take a lot of care when adjusting it; If I do end up breaking it or it doesn't meet my performance requirements I'll get onto modding, but I'm hoping it doesn't end up needing it.

Mine is currently sitting in the parcel force packaging in the spare room of my house, and it's killing me to have to wait until the 25th! Buying accessories for it and plotting things should keep me amused until then :P

Well, wrapping them might still be an option if that's your thing. Slow reloads shouldn't be an issue if you can cycle between sidearm and rifle. You can still reload very fast with

or cover garments, too.

I actually don't have much of an issue with a trigger. It's essentially a duty AR-15 trigger, isn't gritty, breaks clean. I try to avoid running a trigger that is too light; I tried a JP once that basically went off if you touched the trigger. If the trigger is too light, it tends not to be durable, anyway.

I actually don't have much of an issue with a trigger. It's essentially a duty AR-15 trigger, isn't gritty, breaks clean. I try to avoid running a trigger that is too light; I tried a JP once that basically went off if you touched the trigger. If the trigger is too light, it tends not to be durable, anyway.

Gonna have to disagree. I shoot my AR's a lot in classes and other training (from 2,200 rounds minimum to 6K in a super busy month). I've tried a lot of different triggers from standard GI triggers, to Geisseles, JPs, LMT, KAC, Timneys, etc. The current OEM KWA LM4 trigger is much more like a two stage trigger than a single stage GI trigger. There's a clear take up of slack in the KWA trigger's first stage at which point you hit the wall/break of the second stage. The problem with the KWA trigger is the fact that if you don't decide to follow through with the final trigger break, the trigger won't completely reset itself. This is a known issue and one I would really like to see addressed in the future.

I also have to strongly disagree with the notion that the lighter a trigger break is, the less durable the trigger is. There are certainly some triggers out there that have statistically been found to be problematic over long deployments and heavy use. KAC's two stage for example. Geissele triggers on the other hand can come in light break configurations and they're well documented as extremely durable triggers.

Gen 2 ones you say? linky possible please?

Those are basically LM4 ones.

I still do not see KSC selling them separetely, only with M4 CQB-Rs so I can not give you a link.

Your best bet is getting LM4 ones. Or if already have old types, get the polymer part from KWA or KSC and replace it. Be aware that some other parts also need to be changed.