KWA LM4 PTR GBB

I've got a bomber MRP on the way is all, and I'm really inclining more and more towards the KWA system when it comes to the mags... 2 of my G&P Pmags have begun leaking (Admittedly after a year without any real maintenance and being left in a hot car, but I don't fancy diassembling them).

Guessing modifying the holes or potentially the pins would be pretty much a no-go as well?

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPx35ElNS0">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPx35ElNS0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">   I'll keep you guys

After a very long wait, I finally got my hands on KWA's new LM4 PTR. What follows are my initial impressions after owning it for 1 day, and using it in a few rounds of CQB. But first some pictures:  

Posted Images

That was a conscious decision on KWA's part. That and a few other key alterations to the core design ensured that the BATF would allows the product to be imported into the US.

If you say changes from KSC M4....

KWA totally BS that.

Aside from different material use on specific parts, the parts compatiability and dimension were design to be different. Funny thing is that WE M4 Open-Chamber is still allow in US despite having almost 100% parts compatiability with AR-15 (lower receiver, Trigger Group, bolt carrier are the only parts I can think on top of my head that will not work)

The KSC GBBR was designed by KWA for the Japanese market and therefore would probably pass BATF standards. That said, doesn't it feature unlicensed Colt markings and therefore subject to seizure by US Customs? The KWA LM4 is also beefed up in some parts compared to the KSC counterpart.

The KWA LM4 was submitted to BATF and officially approved by the BATF as legal for importation. The WE M4, G&P M4 GBB, etc never was. The logic being that large or individual shipments of the KWA LM4 will always pass through customs, whereas the other brands' GBBRs run the risk of seizure. Do those other brands get thru? Yes. But sometimes they also get seized too. Even the KSC GBBR runs that risk since it was never formerly submitted for approval even though in many ways it's almost to the same specs as the KWA regardless of how you argue it. US Customs doesn't always work in the most logical way and they're generally unreachable when you want to argue the point. Having an official sign off by them on a product prior to shipments entering the country will by and large keep the process smooth and trouble free.

I think on a lot of WA systems, you can use almost everything except the FCG, and the outer barrel (which can be modified)... which means, you can use buffers, buffer springs, detents, detent springs, castle nuts, barrel nuts, delta rings, front sight, grips, flash hiders, etc. without any modifications.

Upper receivers require the bolt catch mod, and some require you to drill your real upper receivers... (well with colt upper receivers)

Considering that 95% of my game time is CQB, the 14.5" barrel just wasn't cutting it. So after probably 2-3 weeks of consideration, I finally cut my inner barrel (yes the RA-Tech barrel) and removed the second outer barrel. I have to say now the overall length has been shortened 4.25" but the gun feels so small now and so easy to maneuver around corners and behind cover.

Here's a quick picture...

sbr.jpg

I'm thankful that KWA went with a 2 piece outer barrel, as I can now return it to the 14.5" length easily by reinstalling an OEM length barrel and putting the 2nd outer back on, which takes maybe 2-3 minutes.

Edited by akiraspeedstar
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine I heated up and just used a pair of vice grips.

If you care about the finish on the extension I would suggest using a towel and man power cause I scratched the ###### out of mine.

Pics for good measure.

Lm4 mk18 mod 1

P9251811.jpg

Just got the 5 inch surefire suppressor still have to take pics.

Have a ctr stock and bcm gunfighter grip on the way

Getting a tighter inner barrel means + fps

Getting a longer inner barrel means + fps if there is enough expanding gas going into the barrel

Shortening the inner barrel means -fps (small)

so if you put a tighter, shorter barrel into your gun, like what Akira did, there won't be any significant FPS changes.

Nice gun Akira, the KWA is loud enough without the noveske flash hider up front. I can imagine just how loud yours is with it. Definitely intimidating.

(still working on my own LM4, pics to follow)

I'm going going in the opposite direction with noise. Aiming to acquire a surefire suppressor and cut up a soda can to make baffles in an attempt to suppress the sound.

• Like 1

I was expecting a FPS reduction, though didn't really see anything significant at all. If I did lose some power then it was probably less then 5fps.

Noticed in your review that you used a modded version of my valve.

How much did you end up modifying?

I am waiting on a Lm4 for testing and recently started work on an LM4 specific valve.

I just got the mini 55.6 sf suppressir madbul made. The front section inside has a "baffle" and its split into three "ports".i just filled the with spray foam and the noise is reduced. Before there was no difference, maybe even louder. It's still on the loud side but I'm convinced that it's more the bolt making the brunt of the noise. Filling with foam defiantly reduced the report down range.

Noticed in your review that you used a modded version of my valve.

How much did you end up modifying?

I am waiting on a Lm4 for testing and recently started work on an LM4 specific valve.

I shaved off a little from the rear of the rocket valve, not much at all, probably 2mm or less. A LM4 specific valve would be great, a lot of people would be interested in one.

I'm surprised this part is done via CNC, couldn't you do it via mold?

Yes and but no....

I prefer CNC since at a small batch level, I can fund production without outside financing and hold a high degree of part accuracy. I am just 1 guy and I would like to keep it that way.

I have looked into an injection molded option though. I just don't think it is feasible for how many I would need to produce and the time frame that I would need to break even. For other projects, it would make sense.

Anyways, back on topic with the KWA LM4...

How are the customization options out there?

From what I read, grips, stocks and rail systems are covered. Are there aftermarket barrels yet? I like the Idea of playing Mr. Potato head with an LM4 to use as a base.