The Starwire Project, Airsoft UAV

SOUTHPAWMIKE

"...what enables the wise sovereign and the good general to strike and conquer, and achieve things beyond the reach of ordinary men, is foreknowledge."

-Sun Tzu

I know I'm not the first person to realize the dream of an airsoft UAV, and I won't be the last. This version, and it's predecessor, have been my pet project for the past couple months.

I call this project STARWIRE, and here it is, in it's current incarnation:

STARWIRE.gif

There are a few major components:

1. Firstly, and most importantly, is the UAV. The model I am using is the Parrot AR Drone. This is the recently released version 2. It's a nifty little quadrotor, and a great deal of fun to fly as is. For those who don't click the link, it's a remote controlled quadrotor that creates it's own wi-fi network that can be used by iOS or Android devices. What makes it useful is the two cameras, one forward mounted, one bottom mounted, that allow for airborne surveillance, which is a live video feed to the control device. I shouldn't need to explain the potential strategic advantage this could provide.

2. The iPad. I know what you're thinking. What kind of nutter is going to take an iPad into an airsoft game? Well, I got it fairly cheap, as it was a refurbished device, plus I got a nice beefy case for it. It's a nice control device, especially compared to the smartphone I was previously using. Also, for whatever reason, Parrot releases firmware and software updates for iOS first. Right now, it's clipped in to the case, but can be pulled out of it's clip to be used as a piloting terminal. The only issue with using the iPad as the control device is that it doesn't have the most powerful antennae as compared to some other devices. Although, from my research, it's only a matter of a couple meters between devices. Plus, it's largely irrelevant if you have a wireless repeater.

3. A wireless repeater. More specifically, and Amped Wireless SR10000 repeater. I haven't gotten to try flying the system in a non-urban area as of yet, (i.e. somewhere without interference from buildings) though I can say that the network it generates is much larger than the stock network the drone makes. Testing by others suggests the drone might have a range of 400 meters on the network generated by this device, which is roughly quadruple the stock range. I'm currently in the process of wiring the repeater to work with a li-po battery so it can be used in the field. (If anyone knows how to check polarity on a DC connector plug wired to a battery, I could use the help.)

4. Pelican Case. The whole package is in a Pelican hardcase, (I believe it's a 1640) in order to protect the electronics. This is the first pelican case I've owned, and it was considerably heaver than I expected, which was the major issue. At the very least, it has wheels, so I can pull it around. Either way, a major part of the play style of the UAV operator is moving his equipment around the field. I'd like to find a lighter solution.

So where do I go from here? In the future, I'd like to get some spare parts, and additional spare batteries, both for the drone and the repeater. I've got another layer of pluck foam in the case in order to store everything. As I said, I'd also like to find some way to make the system easier to carry. Perhaps some kind of backpack frame. In addition, Parrot sold customization kits for the Version 1 drone, which was a clear plastic shell which couple be spray painted and detailed, and then adhered to the foam body. Hopefully they'll soon offer a similar kit for the version to drone, as I'd like to give it a more military look. I'll probably spray it tan, with green or brown stencils.

The first test flight under "combat" conditions will be this Saturday. The owner of the field I usually play at has a strict "Don't shoot the drone!" rule, which is what makes this possible. So thanks to Dave at ARC Airsoft for that. Hopefully I'll have some good pictures and video to share after that.

Very cool. Not too expensive either and seems to have every part available easily enough. How robust is the Parrot, will it take a bit of abuse? for when someone eventually hoses it down. Not saying that in a negative way but the chances are quite high that some dbag will argue it is in play and can be shot ( and they will... repeatedly )

this kind of thing is a bit fussy for general gaming but on dedicated Milsim events rock on, could make a game changing difference.

Looks good, just one question. Will the other side have a simillar device or will there be restrictions on where or how long it can be used? If not then it could make the game unbalanced. However I'm sure a few test games should get any issues sorted and it would add a nice extra element to the game. It's thinking like this which pushes the game forward to a new level.

On a side note have you seen the Ghost Recon: Alpha film on YouTube? It looks a lot like the drone in that

The first thing that poppies into my head was you painting it.

Don't paint it green/tan/camo/whatever - if it comes down unexpectedly, it will be a *badgeress* to find. Also, the sky isn't any of those colours...

Paint it blue/white to give it some stealth element maybe?

Anyway, just my thoughts, and it's a cool project, good luck with it!

Very cool. Not too expensive either and seems to have every part available easily enough. How robust is the Parrot, will it take a bit of abuse? for when someone eventually hoses it down. Not saying that in a negative way but the chances are quite high that some dbag will argue it is in play and can be shot ( and they will... repeatedly )

this kind of thing is a bit fussy for general gaming but on dedicated Milsim events rock on, could make a game changing difference.

The Parrot is surprisingly durable. I've managed to crash it into a few trees and such, and the v1 drone fell from three stories, landed up right, and was able to take off. The v2 drone looks even more sturdily constructed. I haven't tested it's resistance to AEG fire, because hopefully it won't be an issue. It's been made very clear that the thing is not to be shot at. It takes photos and videos, so there's a good chance I'll be able to get proof!

Looks good, just one question. Will the other side have a simillar device or will there be restrictions on where or how long it can be used? If not then it could make the game unbalanced. However I'm sure a few test games should get any issues sorted and it would add a nice extra element to the game. It's thinking like this which pushes the game forward to a new level.

On a side note have you seen the Ghost Recon: Alpha film on YouTube? It looks a lot like the drone in that

There's nothing that prevents someone on the other team from utilizing a similar setup. In fact, I quite hope that this kind of thing becomes more commonplace. There are no restrictions on where or when, but each battery has maybe a 20 minute flight time before needing a battery change, the other major mitigating factor is the human one. Information gleaned from the drone will only be as effective as the infastructure in place to provide information to squads on the ground. If most of your team shows up without coms, the amount of actionable intel they'll have will be severely limited. Likewise, radio operations are no simple task if people aren't on board with using channels and call signs appropriately.

I did see the the short you mention. Maybe I'll look at a stealth cloak as my next project. :P

The first thing that poppies into my head was you painting it.

Don't paint it green/tan/camo/whatever - if it comes down unexpectedly, it will be a *badgeress* to find. Also, the sky isn't any of those colours...

Paint it blue/white to give it some stealth element maybe?

Anyway, just my thoughts, and it's a cool project, good luck with it!

The only part I intend to paint is the plastic shell. The orange and silver panels you see on the top of the drone there. All the foam and other plastic components will remain black. This of course means that there won't be any paint on the bottom. I don't think I should have to much trouble locating it if it crashes.

Thanks for the comments an input, everyone.

I like the case. What I really want is one of these, with an airsoft minigun mounted of course:

[media=]

[/media]

A homemade tethered surveillance aerostat would theoretically be cheaper and more practical than an actual drone, sorta like this: http://www.aerialproducts.com/surveillance-systems/ltas-balloon-surveillance.html

Trust me in this one, no matter how many times the owner says "don't shoot the drone" someone will do it.

I have a papparazzi based UAV (a real UAV, not a drone like the Parrot is) I have taken it to one game and it will never go to another.

Now I have smaller drones, one I like to call the bumper car, that work well in open fields but I find their usefullness limited in a tactical sense. and so I have never fielded them much.

What is the aversion to having the UAV's be shot at?

I understand that time and money has been invested for their use in game...but...why does that entitle you (or anyone) to have a device exempt from warfare. The device is providing information - if a photographer was radioing info to a team, people would not be happy. Having a device capable of providing information that there is no defence against is just plain lame.

I must stress, I am not personally saying that I would shoot it down, because I wouldn't. However I believe that there should be rules in place, and that if you're going to bring a device that has the potential to be a game changer, that site rules win over personal rules - your choice to bring/use from there. For example, Riot Shields - general site rules are drop the shield when hit, yet I've seen people argue that it's their shield, and no one else can use it.

If you don't want it shot at, factor in a fail safe - an auto shut down type affair that returns it safely to the ground in the guise of an RPG or something similar. There are objectives in place to get rid of the game changer, and it stops people having the reason to shoot it.

Just my opinion anyway

I think you are seeing these differently than they are. They aren't UCAVs, and the 'over the hill ability' of other UAVs really only comes into play if you have that kind of distance to cover, most airsoft sites are so small that a UAV is in no way a 'game changer' in fact it can be more of a handycap because you now have people focusing on intel gathering encumbered by a tool, that can be done by a patrol just as easily.

What is the aversion to having the UAV's be shot at?

I understand that time and money has been invested for their use in game...but...why does that entitle you (or anyone) to have a device exempt from warfare. The device is providing information - if a photographer was radioing info to a team, people would not be happy. Having a device capable of providing information that there is no defence against is just plain lame.

I must stress, I am not personally saying that I would shoot it down, because I wouldn't. However I believe that there should be rules in place, and that if you're going to bring a device that has the potential to be a game changer, that site rules win over personal rules - your choice to bring/use from there. For example, Riot Shields - general site rules are drop the shield when hit, yet I've seen people argue that it's their shield, and no one else can use it.

If you don't want it shot at, factor in a fail safe - an auto shut down type affair that returns it safely to the ground in the guise of an RPG or something similar. There are objectives in place to get rid of the game changer, and it stops people having the reason to shoot it.

Just my opinion anyway

In some ways I agree. It can be a powerful tool. It is a site rule that it can't be shot at. I cleared that up with the owner of the place before I spent the time and money on this project. However I don't think the riot shield is valid comparison. A BB salvo isn't going to destroy a shield, where as it could very well decommission my drone. And I must stress again the balancing factors I believe there are. I have very little mobility or personal defense when operating the drone. And again, unlike a riot shield, which is a direct and immediate "game changer" for an individual, I feel the drone requires a huge amount of coordination to be used properly. Firstly, I don't pilot it unless I feel that I have enough team mates in a defensive posture where I don't feel immediately threatened. Secondly, like I've already said, any information gleaned from the drone is useless without a way to disseminate that information effectively. That means a good number of people on radio, who operating with the same codes and the same routines. Also, the most physically limiting factor is the flight time; each battery gives 20 minutes. This isn't the kind of thing I can throw up and have loiter all day. I have to think hard when deciding when too put it up, especially as I only have two batteries at the moment. I feel like these factors are a built in balance to the potentially powerful advantages.

Some quick searching revealed that the Wifi networks uses channels 1 (2.412Mhz), 5 (2.432 Mhz) or 9 (2.452 Mhz), automatically picking the one with the lowest traffic. One wouldn't need a purpose-built jammer, just a wifi repeater much like your own using those channels and devices moving data back and forth across them.

As for the DC polarity of your repeater, there should be a symbol that looks like one of the two linked here which should tell you whether the inner or outer part of the plug is the positive or negative connector. Then just use a multimeter and hook one probe to one part of the plug (making sure not to touch the other) and the other probe to one of the wires.

-Piano

An optic is a good example though. I have a few real optics hung on AEGs that are worth what your UAV is worth. Do I get a free pass of not being shot at on field? I like them, I think they give me an observation advantage over the other players and the other players are also free to spend large if they like. They're clearly at risk from being shattered even with a clear shield.

Or how about my truck? I can use it to rapidly cross ground to flank the other team and gain an advantage. But I sure don't want BB dings in the paint. Do I get a force field on my truck that means no one can shoot it?

You need to add one more layer of complexity to your UAV. You need to add a remote kill switch. It can be an IR gun like in duck hunt or a transmitter you need to get within a certain range of the drone to switch it off; and you need to give that tool to the opposite team. If you do that then objections to this will wither.

Saying the other team is free to spend XXX on their own item just turns this into a wallet contest. We all pull up to the field, park, pull out our wads and see who's got the biggest one. Not much fun for anyone but the "winner".

An aerostat could theoretically just float up out of range and stay there.

I think there's some misunderstanding arising from different play styles. Where I play, the hosting team tries to set up a fun and challenging milsim scenario, and will usually set up various props to enhance the game. Often players from the hosting team will intentionally give up ground or even "lose" to drive the scenario forward; there's more competition in creating the best experience than in who "wins". A remote eye-in-the-sky could make a great addition to our game designs, especially in some of the larger AOs we use.

I wouldn't take a UAV to the 45 minute force-on-force or capture the flag games at the local pay site, any more than I would take a prop biological weapon for the opposing team to defuse.

That UAV from FPS Russia is the same one from the Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter live action trailer. He probably got hold of the model they used but it does not shoot. + Theres no way in hell a civiallian would be aloud to have that let alone even use one.

I've always liked the idea of an Airsoft UAV but it is useless in anything other than a Mil-Sim game most airsoft 'maps' are not big enough by the time you've relayed most your information the opfor are either dead, or moved on.

Personally it would detach me from the game far too much, if it had a weapon on the bottom then im game but you'd need a much bigger 'drone'

Having read the thread and thought some on it I reckon you might only have one good use out of it.

Say you use it and spot and avoid an ambush and win the game because of it. The next time its airborne it will most likely get shot at.

People don't like to have people buying advantages over them. Especially when it is a not-the-norm thing like this.

Buying a decent gun is fair enough, you're getting shot at. Buying a UAV and saying "I have bought an advantage and you are not allowed to do anything about it" in my opinion, is going to rub people up the wrong way.

quite. I would take my money elsewhere if I was told. The other team have a UAV, please note you may not shoot it or do anything to it while it's keeping an eye on you.

For example. You're approaching an objective, good set up for an ambush, need to see where the defenders are lurking etc. Take a simple example. You have to assault a fortified position. Up goes UAV, you can report the exact positions of the defenders to the assaulting team. 20 mins is PLENTY of time for an assault.

I'd be pretty miffed if the UAV was flying around my teams defensive position reporting on our movements and there was nothing we could do about it.

I'd be pretty miffed if the UAV was flying around my teams defensive position reporting on our movements and there was nothing we could do about it.

^ this x 100. Frankly, it would get shot to *suitcase*. The only way to make it fair would be for the opposition to be able to take it out (not just the operator, the item itself) Still, it would make me wish that I still had the MG42 and the anti-aircraft tripod for it :lol:

This. I hate to sound like an *albatross*, but if I was having an UAV reporting my teams movements, I would shoot it down even if the rules said otherwise. I see it as just like an RC car with a camera. It has the ability to see where the enemy cant, and it has a human controller. If the human can't maneuver it fast enough to escape, then it's going down.

That UAV from FPS Russia is the same one from the Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter live action trailer. He probably got hold of the model they used but it does not shoot. + Theres no way in hell a civiallian would be aloud to have that let alone even

First of all the fact it has no shadow isn't a give away to you that its fake? Second civillians are allowed to own UAVs to the fullest extent of the term, however arming them is another story. The UAV I own is fully capeable and a fully autonomous unlike most, even though I don't have to fly it I still bogs me down, sometimes you just get too much intel and are distracted from whats right in front of you. I'll promise you it'd be just as easy to use binos to spot the enemy at a distance, a drone, or even an autonomous UAV is just another headache that if you are doing your job effectively on the field you don't need or want to deal with.

I can put my UAV at 1,000 feet in a holding pattern for four hours that would give me coverage of just about any field out there, and I still don't want to use it, its information that just isn't that useful.

Before you get too much further in the red on this idea start really looking into performing recce patrols you'll find that information gathering on enemy positions really isn't that hard from the ground, most airsofters are so clueless to anything that happens off a beaten trail or open field that a few people hiking off in the woods go unnoticed almost all the time.

Archived