I'm reviewing today the KWA TT-33 Tokarev, which may or may not be officially released and there is virtually no info out about this gun. So I'm here to provide some info!

DSC_0006-2.jpg

MSRP for this gun is $135. Magazines are around $30 each.

Inside The Box

DSC_0003-3.jpg

The box itself is made of medium strength cardboard with styrofoam encasing the gun and parts.

Inside the box, you get:

-Gun

-Magazine

-Hop-up Adjustment Tool

-Lube

-Small bag of .25 KSC BBs

-Paperwork

-Manual

The gun is held firmly in place in the Styrofoam bed, which has room for a spare magazine (one can be kept in the gun itself) with a spare slot for the usual bits and pieces that come with a new KWA.

First Impressions

At first glance the TT-33 looks pretty bad***.

It has a finish in black that is slightly shiny.

The coloring all over the gun is almost exactly the same, a deep black color.

DSC_0004-4.jpg

The gun is modeled to be exactly the same as the real TT-33, KWA did a great job on it.

This gun is very, very light. 1.65 lbs actually, according to KWA. The balance is VERY good.

DSC_0019-1.jpg

This gun has both an aluminium slide as well as an aluminium frame, which helps aid it's lightness, compared to WE's heavy and clunky pot metal.

Metal parts abound, so it is easier to tell you what is made out of plastic. The two grip sides, and the barrel....Yeah, there is a lot of metal.

The only wobble in the gun, at all, period, is the magazine. Take the magazine out, and you can shake the gun around and hear nothing. The wobble is very minimal.

Close Look

The trademarks on the gun are as follows:

Magazine Catch side:

-O120301499U * KWA (engraved, black)

Chamber side:

-Manufactured in Taiwan (looks painted on, white)

Top:

BK989 * 1941 (engraved, black)

Grips:

-CCCP around a star

The * is an actual star on the gun.

DSC_0015-1.jpg

The gun does not come with a safety, instead using a quirky trigger setup. You have to push from the top and angle slightly downwards, if you just push on the bottom the trigger will not move all the way backward. After some test firing, I got used to it pretty quickly.

The KWA comes equipped with fixed sights. Both are very simple, very barebones, but they work. Remember, this gun is from 1941!

The gun comes with a plastic outer barrel, mostly to use less wear and work better with the NS2 system.

The KWA uses it's usual hop-up on the gun, adjustable with a tool by locking the slide open and putting the tool inside the chamber. Hop-up adjustment is right for less hop, and left for more.

The magazine is no frills design. The big thing, it only holds 10+1 rounds. Yes, only ten. You may want to carry a speed loader and extra mags with you. The mag itself holds enough gas for around 25 rounds.

DSC_0026-1.jpg

Produced completely from metal (except for the rubber gas routing and the loading lip), the KWA magazine is actually rather light.

DSC_0027-1.jpg

Like most KWA magazines, the follower can be locked at the bottom for easier loading. Unlike the Marui, BBs must be loaded through the feed lips.

DSC_0028-1.jpg

The KWA comes with an orange tip painted on the barrel, and the barrel extends past the slight, unlike the real TT-33. I'm hoping for an aftermarket slide+barrel kit to come and fix this, along with adding some more trademarks.

Shooting Impressions

The gun has decent kick, with a good trigger pull and a decent hammer. Overall it's a lot like other KWA offerings.

The slide locks reliably, and the action is completely smooth, with no jerkiness at all. When it comes to shooting performance, I found the gun has around 150 foot range, and accuracy up to about 115 feet. Using .25s of course. The accuracy is decent, and the hop works very well, almost on the lines of TM.

On airsoftGI and some other websites, they say the gun chronoes at 340-350 FPS. I think this is exaggerated a little bit, and they do use .20s. KWA on the other hand, in their manual, says it's at 280 FPS. I suspect they used .25s and 134a gas for this chrono reading. I think the gun rests at about 310-330 with .20s and green gas/propane.

Take Down

I do not know how the real TT-33 takes down, but this is how the KWA version does.

1. Remove magazine, make sure there are no BBs chambered in the gun.

2. On the chamber side, grab the little straight line thing and pull on the tab, freeing the pin that is to the front of the gun.

3. Push the pin and pull the slide lock out of the gun.

4. Pull the slide off of the gun.

5. Push the spring guide forward, then let it come out of the gun. It is a two peice + spring affair, it does stay together though.

6. Spin the front part of the slide upwards. Pull it off.

7. Pull the barrel through the front of the slide.

After you do that, you should be here.

DSC_0030-1.jpg

The gun comes stock lubed, and KWA also includes lube with the gun when that stuff wears off.

Conclusion

DSC_0031-1.jpg

Overall, I think the gun is a great new offering to those who like older guns, or eastern euro guns. It's a great replica and I'll be happy to skirmish with it. Even though it only has 10 rounds, it's performance is very good and I can't wait to give you guys a skirmish report next time I go play. Happy airsofting!

Realism: 7/10 (barely any trades, extended barrel)

Quality of gun: 8/10

Performance: 9/10

Skirmishability: 8/10

Total: 8/10

• Like 1

Can you please check whether they've used the new spring leaf design for their hop up like the new KSC m4s and the STI? Would be interesting to see if any of the new KWA pistols already adopt the new hop up design that's supposed to be miles better than the old ball bearing one :D

Thanks!

I wouldnt worry about there being no trades on this pistol. At the height of WWII these things were flying out of the factory with little or no markings at all. They had tool marks galour and many had no type of finish other than a quick dunk into a paint can or spray painted. They were "rough" to say the least, but they were dependable (just like the 1911 which the TT33 borrowed several features from).

This pistol can also be used for Vietnam style skirmishing as the pistol was quite popular there and was a prized "trophy" for many U.S. troops (being carried by many as back-ups). There are also stories of SF personell carrying them as well as in they worked quite well in that environment.

While I'm not a big KWA/KSC fan (their hop-up mainly), this is definately a must buy for me.

You mentioned that the outer barrel is plastic. I know you probably have not had a chance to fire the pistol a great deal, but have you notices any wear on the barrel from the slide action? I'm assuming the hop-up is the same KWA/LSC style that needs the wrench.

The take down preceedure you described is just as the actual pistol is done.

You did a nice job on this, it helped convince me to buy one. Make sure that you give us some details on the pistols shooting cabability (accuracy and range) after your through "breaking it in".

Edited by Wingman

I don't really want to take apart the hop system as I'm afraid I probably won't be able to put it together, but, it does look and feel a bit different from my older KWA pistols.

Ah that's okay :P If you're willing to take it apart in the future and nobody's reported back the info I asked I hope you'll update us with the info on the hop :D

I wouldnt worry about there being no trades on this pistol. At the height of WWII these things were flying out of the factory with little or no markings at all. They had tool marks galour and many had no type of finish other than a quick dunk into a paint can or spray painted. They were "rough" to say the least, but they were dependable (just like the 1911 which the TT33 borrowed several features from).

This pistol can also be used for Vietnam style skirmishing as the pistol was quite popular there and was a prized "trophy" for many U.S. troops (being carried by many as back-ups). There are also stories of SF personell carrying them as well as in they worked quite well in that environment.

While I'm not a big KWA/KSC fan (their hop-up mainly), this is definately a must buy for me.

You mentioned that the outer barrel is plastic. I know you probably have not had a chance to fire the pistol a great deal, but have you notices any wear on the barrel from the slide action? I'm assuming the hop-up is the same KWA/LSC style that needs the wrench.

The take down preceedure you described is just as the actual pistol is done.

You did a nice job on this, it helped convince me to buy one. Make sure that you give us some details on the pistols shooting cabability (accuracy and range) after your through "breaking it in".

There is no wear on the barrel, which I think is largely the reason KWA switched to these; to reduce wear. I've put around 20 mags through it and skirmished it at a CQB place near me. The hop-up is very touchy, 1 click over or under wouldn't work right, but once you hit that middle click the BB just flew and flew. Accuracy isn't amazing on the gun, I'm going to invest in a tightbore as soon as I find a compatible one (probably any KWA fitting one.) But the hop-up, even if you dislike it, works alot better then my other KWA pistols and is on par if not better then my TM desert warrior. This thing could hop .30s even better then .25s probably.

The 10 round part of the gun is a bit of a hindrance, but a bit of a challenge I'm grateful for. I chose my shots more carefully and found I was just hitting more people because I always made sure that I wasn't wasting rounds. I only had 2 mags and a speedloader through 20 minute games and believe it or not I never had to re-gas and I never died from reloading the gun.

EDIT: Got the gun chronoed at the CQB place, 340 on the dot with green gas and .20s. This thing hits HARD, I shot a guy and he showed me a bleeding BB hole after the game. Reassuring to know this thing will make people call their hits.

Edited by Short Stack

Humm, 10 rounds, not good, possibly a new hop unit, maybe could pass this off but what worries me is the 'safety' and how that will affect performance.

Hopefully the Makarov PM will just have its usual DA safety and be a bit better than this.

'FireKnife'

The TT-33s feels almost the same as a DA, just has up and down movement.

But it shouldn't, it should be breaking about the same weight as a 1911. This was on my buy list but after this revelation i don't think i will, time to wait for the Makarov.

'FireKnife'

But it shouldn't, it should be breaking about the same weight as a 1911. This was on my buy list but after this revelation i don't think i will, time to wait for the Makarov.

'FireKnife'

Break weight is good, but the trigger pull is long, like a DA.

Break weight is good, but the trigger pull is long, like a DA.

Not good enough. If they wanted a safety make a damn Type 54 next time, stupid KWA.

Good review. With the Tokarev capacity low, I think I will just wait for the Makarov.

Reports say it has the same capacity, around the 10 or 11 mark so it won't be much different :P

'FireKnife'

Not good enough. If they wanted a safety make a damn Type 54 next time, stupid KWA.

Reports say it has the same capacity, around the 10 or 11 mark so it won't be much different :P

'FireKnife'

True the capacity is reported to be similar. I can just about justify purchasing one on my need for a compact pistol.

Edited by howitzer
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if real steel tt33 grips will work on these?

Probably won't.

My Hudson TT doen't take real stuff at all I believe there is still some slight discrepancy btw this one and the RS.

PS: Add some grip details as a reference I'd prefer those pre-war or war models:

4B7562AEEF8C421CADB0006C471AE29A.jpg

Humm, 10 rounds, not good, possibly a new hop unit, maybe could pass this off but what worries me is the 'safety' and how that will affect performance.

Hopefully the Makarov PM will just have its usual DA safety and be a bit better than this.

'FireKnife'

I wish in the first place it would come up with a double stacked mag too! Just what TM did to their 1911..

Think about it for a while you would find that the grip size is completely different,additionally 1911 weighs a lot more than TT, which I guess was the primary reason to limiting mag capacity while making airsoft.

Regarding the safety, yes this KWA one kinder stinks but I recall no one else has made a better safety than this maybe the baikal one is a full presentation of nearly every aspect of the RS so far but unfortunately it is merely an SA.

Edited by eece2011
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

*fruitcage* you KWA, making me spend more to buy a new hop unit just to make it worth while.

Couple this with the 'safety' and capacity and i think they have ruined what should have been a winner here.

'FireKnife'

Haha Aren't you melodramatic.

I will wait till I get my mitts on it before I comment. 11 rounds isn't the end of the world just means you need more mags and don't use a pistol for suppressive fire LOL

If it can't take green gas, then that would be truly ruined.