G&P/PTS WA System P-Mags

G&P/Magpul PTS PMag for Western Arms GBB M4A1 System

P1010822.jpg

Introduction

Recently, I realised I've owned 6 G&P PTS Pmags for my G&P WOC for over half a year now, and I've skirmished the bejesus out of them in that time in all sorts of environments and conditions. That being the case, I figured I'd pass on my experience in using them, and how they've performed.

From what I recall, G&P released these maybe 2 years ago? Possibly earlier or later than that, I'm not entirely sure if I'm honest. Either way, they're PTS licensed and manufactured by G&P, who, as we all know, are just lovely people all round. They're designed for the Western Arms GBBR M4 system, and clones thereof. They cost around $60, depending where you pick them up - Handily, I received 7 of them brand new with the gun I purchased in Black. They're also available in FDE, but not OD or FG.

The basics

Unfortunately, I lack a digital camera at the moment, and I've never really thought to photograph the mags themselves. They hold a capacity of 39 rounds. They're made of metal, which is unusual of course for Polymer magazines. The magazine bodies are either Alu, or some sort of alloy. I'm sure G&P could well have made these magazines out of Polymer, and I am somewhat baffled as to why they didn't. The magazines do borrow aspects of the original WA design, but that shouldn't dictate they be made of metal. That aside, they're very solidly built and the finish is flat and even - When inserted into your M4, they look very much as they should.

Anyway. The fill valve is at the bottom of the magazine, with a hole in the baseplate to allow access. The baseplate slides off in the way a normal Pmag's baseplate does using the spring loaded tab, allowing fitment of standard Pmag ranger plates - However, without modification these will require removing to charge the magazine with gas. I find rubber Magpuls a better option, as they cushion the bottom of the magazine against drops, as well as providing access to the valve. That, and they look cool.

The valve lock features a roller bearing, which should help to reduce wear as well as give a smoother cycle. The feed lips are metal, which should keep them in shape nicely and help with reliable feeding.

6 months later

I've been running these magazines for about 7 months now. I've used them in probably 10-12 games, at two sites - Ace Combat in Brenchley, and UCAP's Sandpit in Bluewater. Ace is a woodland site, and very damp. In the winter it's a bog, and it's usually fairly swampish. The Sandpit on the other hand is quite obviously full of sand and dust. Other than cleaning any obvious gunk off them, I've never taken them down or had to repair them for any reason.

The gun I've been using them in is a G&P WOC, with an RA-Tech Hop unit with a standard G&P BCG, nozzle and recoil buffer/spring. From a full charge of Green Gas, you get around 90 full powered rounds at a reasonable pace from a room temperature mag before the action starts to become sluggish. On fully automatic, at room temperature, dumping a mag is possible - However, vapor will become evident around 20-25 rounds.

I've used these magazines in all weathers now - From snow on the ground cold to baking sunshine. During the winter I keep magazines on a small chest rig underneath a coat to keep them warm. They've performed fantastically in every situation I've put them through - They've never leaked. Not even the tiniest trace of a hiss. They've been dropped a few times and generally skirmished, and the finish on the body of the magazine is still flat black, except for the inevitable scratch from the steel magazine catch. Honestly, they really are a solid product - If you can get over the fact they're metal (they're not the lightest of mags), they're fantastic. Hold GG/Propane like a champ, not the slightest hint of a feeding problem, and work perfectly in the gun they're made for. I can also confirm first hand after some testing at Wolf Armouries that they'll run a King Arms GBBR M4 like a monster as well. With some luck Wolf will be stocking them - They are also currently available at LandWarrior.

Here's another picture for the sake of it.

P1010994.jpg

ill get some pictures for you instead.

Ive had mine for about 10months now and they are great,The only issues i have had was the orings being dry when shipped but that was easily fixed with some oil and grease, The construction and take of these are so much nicer then the pro win mags which are a *badgeress* to put back together.

If you are going WA go for these mags, Best ones you can get

8g8Cr.jpg

gs8Zk.jpg

p951B.jpg

Edited by gijohn2

ill get some pictures for you instead.

Ive had mine for about 10months now and they are great,The only issues i have had was the orings being dry when shipped but that was easily fixed with some oil and grease, The construction and take of these are so much nicer then the pro win mags which are a *badgeress* to put back together.

If you are going WA go for these mags, Best ones you can get

Nice one, cheers for adding the photos dude - It looks like the FDE finish is even tougher than the black?

Either way, agreed, they're epic mags. Saying that, of all the Pro-win V2's I've seen, none of them have leaked, but they're also pricier than these and obviously aren't Pmags!