G&G CM16 (a short review)

G&G CM16

combat machine review

this was written on wordpad (so no spellcheck)

it is probrably full of spelling mistakes and bad grammar!!

just a warning!!!

Opening the box

I was greeted by a mailman with a pretty huge box....nice

the packaging was pretty simple no huge pictures or anything just a brown box with g&g combat machine written on it and a small monotone picture

pretty nice actually i much prefer that design to some of the brighter manufacture's boxes out there

it makes it seem a lot less like a cheap springer or a toy!

inside the box was a plastic divider with spaces for all the items, altogether there was the rifle a loading 450 rounds hi-cap and a bag of 1000 bb's

i was pretty impressed with the bb's and the fact that it was a decent size bag instead of one of those tiny little 30 round bags

but i was suprised to see no manual of any kind!!!!!

looking on thier website though there was a downloadable pdf with very simple instructions so i guess its not that much of a problem!!

however given that these guns are likely to be brought by first time players i would have thought a manual would be a good idea!!

picking up the gun

the gun it self was nice looking the plastick was a dull tan colour and thankfully enougth it was a nice matte plastick!! i couldnt see any shiny parts!!

it was painted two tone which is a dissapointment but that is pretty much a requirement and it shouldnt reflect on this review

picking up the gun had a decent enougth heft and i was not dissapointed the gun didnt wobble which i was actually suprised at because my old tm m4 rattled and wobbled like a son of a *badgeress*!!

I even tried to flex and wobble it but it didnt give so i was pretty pleased!!!

i will say that a lot of this gun is plastick !! honestly im not fussed in this case!! the grip stock and handgaurd will always be plastic anyway so the only part that would usually be metal is the reciever!! although this is usually the part of the rifle that gets bashed about!!

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

the plastic on the reciever is firm however it is possible to squeez and bend it!! that was a little dissapointing however i cant tell you how easy it made it to dissasemble the gun

Inside is pretty nice..........everything just fits.....its neat and tidy and clean and well built! there are no bells and whistles but everything is just so nice

the reciever pins that hold the rifle are plastic which is a little shame as in my experiance the reciever around these pins and the pins themselves are very prone to breaking

however i had a set left from my old tm and i just slotted them in!! they shouldnt be to exspensive to buy if you want to do the same

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

firing

the mag is fine easy to load and sits in the gun with little wobble which is about standard for a companys own mag

450 rounds is a very nice capacity for a hi-cap magazine

the 8.4v mini fits inside the grip with no complaints in fact it was esiar to get in than my tm was as inside the grip there is only a wire that fits inside instead of the whole plastic divider thats sits in place to hold the mag and the fuse etc!!

i like this a lot more

the ROF on the gun is nice im not sure what it is exactly but it seems on par with every other stock aeg ive ever fired! so nothing special.

i loaded .25 bb's in this for accuracy i fired the first few shots and they started falling of at around 25 meters.....dont worry i havent adjusted the hop yet!!

so i adjusted the hop......very stiff, i take this as a good thing as it means it wont move around on me later on

i took aim and fired again!! much better all of my shots flew out 30 metred and hit a plate sized target before beggining to curve outwards

unfortanetly 30 metres (approx) is as far as my garden goes before it hits the fence so im not quite sure how the rifle will fare after this! i did notice the shots seem to curve out a fair amount!! at some point i will see if using .20 bb's will improve the range

i will update this as time goes on and tell you how this fares on the skirmish field

Conclusion

this rifle only cost me £99 new, thats pretty awesome, a well built rifle supplied with a decent mag for only £99

as a rifle thats designed for a begginer i cant really complain about this, i think using .20 ammo will reduce the accuracy somewhat but a lot of other reviews show that the gun can score hits easily at 40 meters which is pretty good.

If you want better performance you are going to have to upgrade it a little the power is fine but a better inner barrel will help groupings ....... i dont really think that another hop unit will make much of a difference but i will install one at somepoint and then get back to you on the results

i havent chronoed it yet but just about every review i have read states that the gun consistently chronoes at 330 fps which make it skirmish safe out of the box

i can imagine that in a cqb field this gun will really shine! you can stick a red dot on it or a few other choice bolt ons and it will work perfectly with no upgrades what-so-ever

.20's give it a decent range hitting a man size target at 40 meters

.25's give this gun pin point accuracy able to hit every shot at 30 meters on a head size target

Thanks for the review, nice. I recently bought one of these, albeit the blow back version. Mine chronos at 310 - 315 fps when the hop is set, I took to a skirmish but did not use it apart from setting the hop and testing on the range.

I beleive they are cut above the usual sportsline type AEG, and well worth a punt.

I have now been able to spend some time inside this AEG. I experimented with various aftermarket metal hop units, including the Systema model, all returned lower fps figures than the stock plastic unit as fitted. However the stock barrel I am sceptical about for the following reasons. It has been stated in other reviews that it is a 6.04 TB, I don't beleive it is, also I think it is of poor quality and seems to get dirty very quickly. This could be as it is fabricated from soft aluminium and is not highly polished. In addition it is not quite long enough to clear the muzzle. It is not a good fit here and really needs shimming out to prevent the bb stricking part of the assembly and wrecking accuracy.

I have retrofitted a slightly longer Madbull 6.03 TB, also fitted a spring to the front of the hop unit, fps has jumped from 315 up to 335. This is perfectly adaquate for my purposes. The gearbox looks very good quality with a brass cylinder and radiused cylinder windows to prevent premature failure in this area.

The Hop-up units on these (and the stock green hop-up rubber) are actually amazingly good quality, especially considering the price point.

Slapping a good quality tightbore inside and an H nub will do wonders, as will a new motor, a rewire and some deans connectors - a MOSFET too if you know what you're doing.

Great review, very detailed. Crazy to see G&G come so far from where they used to be. They're moving in the right way at least.

Ignorant question, I assume the green is some sort of safety reg? Is that new for overseas?

after some looking through manuals and takedown vids it seems the g&g hop unit is exactly the same as used in all other g&g m4/m16 based products

even the top tech versions which i guess is why they are such good qaulity!

i agree with the part about the barrel! if feels like a cardboard tube!!

only the top tech g&g guns come with tightbore's as standard

i tried stripping mine down today and cross threaded the screws in the handgrip!! i dunno wether thats down to my crappy screwdriver or the screw qaulity anyone else had these problems!!??

The screws holding the outer barrel assembly together are a bit fragile, and if you tighten them too much they will strip.

Solve this by replacing the outer barrel with a one-piece metal one, it's compatible with all the normal AEG barrels.

• 4 months later...

I know this is a little thread revival, but i wanted to update this thread with a little information about the rifle that i discovered over time

Okay so first of all ill talk about the peformance! one of the most dissapointing things i found with this was the motor, on an 8.4v battery i found that quite often id pull the trigger to find that instead of 1 shot on semi what i actually got was 2

or sometimes the trigger would just lock up altogether, the reason for this was the motor i guess just not being very strong in conjunction with the batter although this could be soved with a better motor or a lipo battery which a lot of people tell me that this gun is ready for!!

i was a little dissapointed with a stray shots from this rifle on .25g bb's

eventually when i looked at enougth reviews (epicairsofthd on youtube was very helpfull here) i discovered that g&g hop units were very well suited for higher weights of bb like .30g once using this ammo i found a huge improvement in accuracy, this heviar ammo in conjunction with a h-nub made such a huge difference i was almost shocked!

i found that a simple dental tape mod for tighter airseal and a h-nub installed with heavier ammo was giving me marui like accuary and hop performance!!

One thing i got annoyed at was the outer barrel, its a two piece design but the front sight assembly does not come free from the second part of the barrel!!

this means if your planning a change to a different handgaurd for example a madbull dd rail then you will need a new outer barrel assembly as well!!

mag compatability is great!!! ive been really banging my head against a wall recently with my other aeg's and mis feed issues and mag compatability and sourcing good mags etc

did not have this problem!! g&g mags along with jg marui fit fine for me as well as beta project p-mags though i did find with the p-mags a little tape helped the mag steady in the magwell and prevent mis-feeding......in fact it was kind of necessary!

all in all as far as field performance goes and potential for upgrades and compatability with other parts and mags etc this rifle has definately increased in value for money and upgrade potential!!

this gun is supposed to be aimed at beginners, but for someone who is a little more experianced and wants a good mainstay weapon for cheap.....this is definately worth considering!!

ive been constantly impressed with this!!

i sold the last one in favour of a different rifle but im seriously considering purchasing another two as loner guns!!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...