NTvyCl.jpg

Hello everyone, this is just a quick (and somewhat tongue-in cheek) first impressions guide to the KWA H&K USP Tactical, licensed by Umarex.

In this review, I will go over external features, field disassembly, and provide an overview of how the replica feels. It not meant to be a complete review, though I do intend to do so once I get a chance to test it properly on the field.

I first fell in love with the USP Tactical when I saw it for the first time browsing gun websites back in the 90's, and occasionally seeing it in tactical shooters such as Rainbow Six Raven Shield. So it was perfectly logical to want to pick up a good replica when I had the chance.

The real steel history can be found pretty much anywhere on the internet, so I won't bore you with copypasted details you can find elsewhere, namely here:

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/de/hk-usp-e.html

http://www.hkpro.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57:the-usp&catid=6:the-pistols&Itemid=5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_USP

There have been many airsoft replicas of this model of the USP, namely Tanio-Koba, KSC, and KJW. This is a relatively recent foray by KWA, which are the OEM of KSC, and they have since partnered with Umarex, firearms licensing giant, to bring officially licensed H&K handguns and rifles. More on the licensing later.

Naturally, this model was not available in the UK (Tut-tut), which seems to favour every model of USP save the Tactical (double tut-tut). Since I wasn't a fan of any of the other types, I had to look overseas to get my fix.

Two weeks later, the parcel was painlessly delivered to me, and I could finally have a first-hand look at this replica.

Out the box:

QG67El.jpg

1M5NWl.jpg

The package comes in a handsome Heckler and Koch branded box with H&K's slogan and Umarex's licensing spiel, reminding you that anything H&K shaped is theirs alone to license. I won't bore you with an in depth description of the foam packaging of the box (or the lack or presence of a cleaning rod), and skip to the bits that actually matter, namely: the gun itself, the mag, the hop-up (err, SHOOT-UP) adjustment tool, and lockout key (also included is a small manual, but I recommend downloading the full one from KWA, since it has a disassembly guide and a parts list, which are infinitely more useful than Umarex trademark spiels in four different languages).

The replica itself is immediately recognisable as a USP Tactical, in no small part thanks to Umarex's licensed trademarks, which state in blazing white text on black "H&K USP Tactical", with a small print stating "Cal. 6mm BB" towards the ejection port. More on the trades later.

LjsmXl.jpg

Externals:

Externally,the Tactical does not differ greatly from the standard "plain Jane" USP, but presents a few key features that differentiate it for the ever-discerning operator. The most prominent difference is a slightly longer, protruding outer barrel with a 16mm clockwise thread designed for the attachment of a suppressor. The front sight post is raised to enable sighting when used in conjunction with a suppressor and features match-grade rear sights fully adjustable for both windage and elevation. The handgun also features a match-grade trigger with adjustable trigger pull, an ambidextrous safety/deckocking lever, and a slightly protruding magazine baseplate for added comfort. Some of these features are also present on the match, along with an impractical (and silly-looking, I find) compensator for sport target shooting. Also present below the barrel is a lovely proprietary H&K accessory rail, for the attachment of the H&K UTL. Luckily, a variety of RIS adaptors are available, though VFC have recently discontinued their line of metal full-size USP adaptors, leaving you with King Arms ABS adaptors, or the real-deal (and more expensive) GG&G, and Surefire adaptors (though good luck getting one outside the US, because ITAR).

QQblkl.jpg?1

9YJIsl.jpg

Upon picking it up, the handgun seems hefty and ruggedly built. The slide is made of lightweight metal, with a tough black polymer frame, possibly nylon fibre. The outer barrel is made of a lightweight, space age material that totally isn't ABS plastic, including the thread on the tip for the attachment of a suppressor (and good luck finding one with a 16mm CW thread, most are long since discontinued). The ejection port cover on the outer barrel also has more H&K trades, with the actual caliber of this particular USP (.45 ACP) along with a serial number that matches the one on the underside of the handgun, though I cannot confirm if this is unique to each pistol. Sights and controls are metal and accurately replicated, and click solidly into place.

h1qdAl.jpg?1

YQj73l.jpg

VUuK7l.jpg?1

LUbQpl.jpg

The supplied magazine fits easily without hassle and clicks into place securely. Depressing the magazine relase catch causes the magazine to eject downwards on its own weight, useful for quick reloads. Unlike most other pistols, the mag release is an amidextrous lever recessed into the trigger guard that is depressed downwards, decreasing the chances of an accidental removal of the magazine if it brushes against something. While the gun is supplied with a USP Tactical-specific magazine, I can confirm that ordinary USP .45 mags will fit and feed perfectly, giving you another option should the Tactical mags be unavailable. The magazines are of double-stack design, with a flat metal follower and feed lips, and will fit 25 BBs. BBs are loaded from the top. In addition, the follower can be locked to the bottom of the magazine by simply fully retracting the spring, and released by depressing it for ease of reload.

wutMil.jpg?1

yGyVJl.jpg?1

WSreBl.jpg

USP Tactical .45 mag (left) and USP .45 mag (right)

HzBsVl.jpg?2aJIZNl.jpg

Comparison of USP mags in the Tactical

I am somewhat dubious of the choice of follower and lips, however. This differs from TM pistols, which have an angled follower to ensure more reliable feeding (though only repeated skirmishing will be able to prove or disprove feeding issues in the USP). The lips on the other hand are metal, and while very tough they are also inflexible, and can be bent irreparably if dropped onto a hard surface (this has unfortunately happened to me in the past with the KWA M9 PTP). While spare parts can be sourced from KWA directly, only more fortunate US airsofters will be able to avail themselves with such support, at least currently.

Racking the slide I shuddered to hear a slight grinding noise, a telltale sign of poor lubrication. I proceeded to immediately strip the handgun for a long overdue lube, whereupon the action was smooth and solid, with quick return to battery.

Disassembly:

Field stripping the handgun is reminiscient of the 1911 series of pistols, which makes sense given the USP was designed with US operators in mind. The slide is retracted slighty, the slide release catch is pushed out, and the slide slips forward, revealing the guts. The recoil spring(s) and guide rod are beefy metal jobbies and c-clipped together, while the outer barrel and recoil assembly are hinged to allow for a relatively painless disassembly. That said, a quick glance at the frame shows a remarkably complex hammer and trigger assembly, which would very likely be an utter nightmare to disassemble. Triggers are notorious for breaking on USPs, even across different brands. Fingers crossed that it never happens.

XmqKFl.jpg

2lQROl.jpg

afuK5l.jpg

Shooting:

I loaded the mag up with propane and Blaster Devil .20g BBs and blatted off the entire magazine, with no discernible cooldown or misfeeds, locking the slide back on empty, with plenty of gas left over. The handgun was chronoed on a Combro Mk4 chronograph at 355, 355, 354, 348 and 340 fps, for an average of 350.4 fps; check your site's limits before taking her for a spin, or use ordinary green gas for the summer. The outside temperature was approximately 18 degrees C, typical to a summer's day (by UK standards, anyway). Hop-up (sorry, SHOOT-UP, as Umarex is quick to remind us) is adjusted with the special tool provided, or your fingernails, if you're not too attached to them. While it can adjust the the hop without disassembly of the slide like on most TM pistols, it's somewhat fiddly to use, and requires holding the slide partially to the rear to access the hop wheel, making it equally as inconvenient as the TM. Apart from these niggles, it was fun to shoot, and I can confirm that it is lethal against cardboard boxes, and laser accurate at a whole 5 feet away. I will review range and accuracy in more depth once I can actually take it skirmishing.

Conclusions:

I can safely say that my initial impressions were overall positive. I could not find any glaring faults in the handgun's operation and function, nor in the materials it is constructed from. The only major problems I forsee are potential (but so far totally unproven) misfeeds in the magazine, and lack of spare parts should something break, especially since KSC have discontinued their line of USPs, and KWA parts are difficult to source in the UK. While not a cause for concern, there are also relatively few upgrade parts available, which are limited to enhanced springs and some tightbore barrels.

I liked the tough-feeling externals, and the lovely, powerful kick of the blowback. Some of the aesthetic touches were nice, namely the green O-ring on the barrel, just like on the real USP, and the accurate thread diameter (though they did not model the polygonal rifling on the barrel, opting for a more Bundeswehr-appropriate lands-and-grooves rifling).

I was slightly perplexed by the choice of a plastic outer barrel, but this could just be a measure to ensure reliabilty, as metal on metal contact between slide and barrel may not be healthy in the long run.

Whilst I appreciate the realism of the 16mm thread, it would also have been nice if KWA/Umarex also sold a suppressor that fit the thread, or made a small exception to realism and used a 14mm CCW thread instead.

Externally, my major complaints were the liberties Umarex took with their overzealous licensing. The real USP trades are not typically painted in (obnoxious) white paint, and the slide is missing the Stag horn proof mark, Bundesadler logos, and two-digit date stamp.

The serial number above the slide stop does not conform to typical USP numbering convention (2X-XXXXXX) and, most disappointingly, does not match the one present on the chamber and below the barrel. Furthermore, Umarex could have spared us the "cal. 6mm" markings below the chamber, especially as this is omitted in the Umarex Mk23 series of handguns, which retain the .45 marking. Hell, it's not even written in a more appropriately Germanic "Kal. 6mm".

Umarex also saw it fit to deface the handgun with a whole paragraph of even more obnoxious white painted lettering on the right side of the frame that blare on about their wonderfully exclusive license to paste the H&K trademark onto their rebranded products. At the vey least, the frame is mostly unmolested, and the painted Umarex text will eventually wear off. If you're after a more accurate replica, I recommend seeking out a System 7 KSC USP or an aftermarket slide, as these retain the H&K trades as they were meant to.

Finally, my only other complaints pertain to H&K's design itself, namely the fact that this gun is notoriously difficult to find a holstering solution for. The raised sights prevent it from fitting into standard USP moulded polymer holsters, leaving the discerning airsofter with a limited choice of "soft" nylon/cordura holsters or expensive BladeTech polymer holsters which may or may not be available for export, because ITAR, again.

Overall, I am quite happy with this replica, and while it may seem I'm being overly harsh with regards to the externals, I'm actually quite pleased that it retains a good semblance to the real USP, and looks absolutely GORGEOUS with a torch. Stay tuned for a skirmish and performance test sometime soon.

As this is the first time I've done a review, your constructive criticisms are welcome.

qh2YZl.jpg

uxTKFl.jpg

Edited by bobtuskins
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One small thing to add:

USP .45 Mags fit and feed, but wont drop out when you press the release.

You have to grab the floorplate to get it out.

Really? I've had absolutely no problems of the sort on mine. I've got two of the normal USP .45 mags and both fit feed and drop on their own weight. The lower frame on both the USP .45 and the Tactical should be identical. If you're having issues like that I would suggest filing down a small part of the inner magwell to make more room.

In other news, I managed to skirmish my USP in not one, but two whole skirmishes, one of which was a day of pistol-only games.

The hop-up is very sensitive, and has a fairly limited range of movement, but clicks for each bit of adjustment. The tool is fiddly as hell to use, and easy to misplace, but at least no slide disassembly required.

Range goes out to about 30 metres easily, hitting a man sized target, which makes it good enough in my books. Other reviewers have pointed out that heavier weight BBs (.30g and heavier) can actually increase the range; will try this out at a later date.

One thing I noticed is that the mags are picky about BBs. Since BBs are loaded from the feeding lips, poor quality BBs may get stuck. I noticed this when I attempted to load some of the KWA "courtesy BBs" in the box the pistol came in. Some would get stuck while attempting to load. I refrained from using them, and I recommend you do the same. I also recommend using only good quality BBs. Had no problems on Excel, Marui and Blaster BBs.

On the matter of the pistol's performance itself, I can confirm that the USP never missed a beat; all the BBs fed every time, with the slide locking back on empty, even in the dust and after firing all 25 rounds fast. Gas efficiency allows for about 2-3 mags' worth of shots before needing a refill.

So far, I'm quite pleased. I will see how it fares in the coming months as I put it through more and more use.

The only issue Ive had with mine after a year of use is dodgy firing after a buildup of dirt/paint on the slides rails. But after cleaning and lubing, it carried on firing normally again. Oh ,and also I somehow snapped the barrel washer, but its £6 for a real one ,and it doesnt really affect performance.

EDIT: Also, on your KWA version, those frame trades are laser etched on, not painted.

Edited by ollie_ty

I have a secondhand one of these coming in this week in hopes that it's nicer to hold than the USP Compact. The previous owner sawed off the barrel threads because he was offended by 16mm+ threading. Does anyone have an extra outer barrel? Or would I be better off just ordering an RA-Tech barrel and getting a suppressor while I'm at it?

The only issue Ive had with mine after a year of use is dodgy firing after a buildup of dirt/paint on the slides rails. But after cleaning and lubing, it carried on firing normally again. Oh ,and also I somehow snapped the barrel washer, but its £6 for a real one ,and it doesnt really affect performance.

EDIT: Also, on your KWA version, those frame trades are laser etched on, not painted.

Yes, I can see why that might jam up after a year or so of use. A friend of mine insists on polishing the inner slide rails of all his GBB to a mirror sheen for that very reason, though I'll wait and see how it holds up in the long term.

In regards to the trades, are you referring to the ones on the slide or the ones on the right hand side, just above the grip? You are correct, the trades on the slide certainly appear laser etched. Still not as nice as stamped or engraved, but they'll last as long as the paint on the slide itself will.

I'm still not sure about the text on the grip though, it certainly doesn't FEEL laser etched, and they look as if they could be easily removed with an abrasive cloth or judicious usage of a light solvent.

I have a secondhand one of these coming in this week in hopes that it's nicer to hold than the USP Compact. The previous owner sawed off the barrel threads because he was offended by 16mm+ threading. Does anyone have an extra outer barrel? Or would I be better off just ordering an RA-Tech barrel and getting a suppressor while I'm at it?

If he was so offended by the threading, why didn't he just buy the ordinary .45?

Alas, if you need spare parts, KWA USA will be able to provide you with cheap spares directly, including the outer barrel. If you're after RA-Tech parts, they'll be significantly more expensive than the KWA plastic outer barrel. As for suppressors, you'll need to hunt down a 16mm one or get an adapter (Mk23 suppressors will be your best bet). So far, I've only found both from Lee's Precision Engineering, for £18 and £60, respectively, though the suppressors are not H&K Style. I don't really like the adapter, as it extends the barrel and the thread too much. What I really want is just a thread protector since the thread is plastic and may get damaged over time.

The previous owner sawed off the barrel threads because he was offended by 16mm+ threading. Does anyone have an extra outer barrel? Or would I be better off just ordering an RA-Tech barrel and getting a suppressor while I'm at it?

Airsoft Outlet NW stock spare OEM outer barrels for them, or you could try KWA USA to get a replacement.

As for suppressors, you'll need to hunt down a 16mm one or get an adapter (Mk23 suppressors will be your best bet). So far, I've only found both from Lees Precision Engineering, for £18 and £60, respectively, though the suppressors are not H&K Style. I don't really like the adapter, as it extends the barrel and the thread too much. What I really want is just a thread protector since the thread is plastic and may get damaged over time.

With regards to the thread adapters they can't extend the barrel any less than they do, it comes down to a matter of what you want though, if you want a wide choice of suppressors then using an adapter is the only way to go unless you go out and have caps custom machined for your chosen suppressor.

The actual 16mm threaded LPE suppressors are long sold out as well anyway as only 5 were ever made (I didn't even keep hold of one for myself!) so if you want one and see one up for sale don't hesitate to grab it, iirc only two of them are within the UK and each of the other three are in a different country so they're one of the rarest production parts around.

Good review man,

I too have purchased one of these from abroad and haven't been disappointed. To be honest I really wanted the standard USP, but I think this is better since I have the compact also and the standard one was hard to find in the UK.

It might be worth noting that if you have a problem getting parts, you can always register with the KWA Help Desk; send them a note of the part your after and they will take payment and ship it to you in the UK. It's that easy.

I had to do it this way as the main KWA Store page wouldn't let me register in the normal method to buy parts as my address is not in the US.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately Umarex went where every other rebrander in the world has gone and just went to a decent OEM company (KWA) to make a fantastic piece of kit. KWA had their own line before the licensing deal, and has actually made decent USP's for about 7 years now.

I may have to add this to my collection later on this year. It is a sexy piece...

Just to add some information I think is pertinent to the topic at hand, the AIRSOFT USP Tactical uses the same barrel threading as the airsoft and real-steel MK23. So if you were to buy a thread protector for a USP Tactical, it will not work on your airsoft gun, you need a MK23 thread protector. So, even though the threading is in 16mm to make it more "authentic", it's still wrong because it the threading is the opposite of the real steel, which uses clockwise, right hand threads.

Also, the real-steel USP Tactical only has the decocker/safety on the left side of the gun from the factory, but readily takes the ambi-control that they make. I ordered a single sided safety lever for my USP Tactical from KWA USA (but the sent me the USP COMPACT's safety, which is slightly different!) to make it closer to the real-steel gun, and to also make it a bit more streamlined, although I saved the old dual safety and might order an ambi slide release to convert the gun to full ambidextrous use.

-Vu

Edited by Vuddha

*Too late to edit, sorry.

Although I don't have personal experience with this (thereby making this second-hand knowledge, whereas my first post is direct first-hand knowledge) Serpa holsters, unless specified, will NOT clear the taller sights of the USP Tactical model. I have been told that the Safariland holsters will clear, and will update you soon when my particular holster comes in (in transit now). Serpas can be modified to fit, but it is somewhat of a process.

-Vu

Just to add some information I think is pertinent to the topic at hand, the AIRSOFT USP Tactical uses the same barrel threading as the airsoft and real-steel MK23. So if you were to buy a thread protector for a USP Tactical, it will not work on your airsoft gun, you need a MK23 thread protector. So, even though the threading is in 16mm to make it more "authentic", it's still wrong because it the threading is the opposite of the real steel, which uses clockwise, right hand threads.

Also, the real-steel USP Tactical only has the decocker/safety on the left side of the gun from the factory, but readily takes the ambi-control that they make. I ordered a single sided safety lever for my USP Tactical from KWA USA (but the sent me the USP COMPACT's safety, which is slightly different!) to make it closer to the real-steel gun, and to also make it a bit more streamlined, although I saved the old dual safety and might order an ambi slide release to convert the gun to full ambidextrous use.

-Vu

I didn't know that the real steel USP Tactical only used the left side decocker/safetly. I had the same plan myself as this is the one thing I don't like about the pistol (apart from the sights not having any dots). I feel that the right side gets in the way of my hands. I like to keep my pistols stock, but I might put in an order for a single.

Edited by venger

From the HK factory, the standard USP Tactical only has it on the left side. You CAN get it replaced with the ambi safety, but from the factory, only have it on the right side. I was in the market for a real steel USP Tactical before I "settled" for a first generation P99. If you are handy with diagrams and visualizing how things work in your head, kwausa.com had exploded diagrams of the USP series. It took me about 30 mins to figure out the whole process, but once I fugured it out, it takes less than 5 mins for the whole swap. If you go to their Pro Shop, order the lever from the original USP, not the NS2 version. For some reason, the one listed in the NS2 version is the one for the USP Compact, not the full size. They function identically, but are styled slightly differently.

Ask me how I know. :angry22:

• 3 weeks later...

Update, I got my Safariland holster in the mail, it's the version that accommodates the USP .45 + UTL light. Although it didn't specify being made for the TACTICAL, the taller front and rear sights clear it without modification (barely, the front rubs the top, but it works). You have to make sure the gun is seated completely in, or the rotating hood will get a little caught on the edge of the rear sight. There is enough space to keep the dual safeties, and it appears that it will also accommodate the dual slide stop from the USP Match.

It is an open bottom holster, so it can accept the longer threaded barrel of the TACTICAL, but the fit is tight enough that with a thread protector, it will rub on the sides of the bottom opening and make it difficult, but not impossible, to holster. Having said that, it will not accept a suppressor mounted. Also, since it's an open bottom holster, if you leave the UTL on, it will shine through the bottom. However, It would be very unlikely if not impossible for it to be switched on in the holster accidentally. It is possible to stick your finger in there and switch it on while holstered, but it's very unlikely that it will be triggered while crawling or navigating wooded areas.

Fresh from the factory, the fit is very tight, but as is the design of Safariland products, the holster has 2 hex screws that you can use to adjust the tension when the hood is up. I plan on adding a small spacer to make the draw a bit easier and smoother. The interior is completely lined in suede to protect your finish, and if you make sure to seat it fully, can be carried cocked and locked, or hammer down. This holster is by no means cheap, but if you want the best, definitely consider Safariland.

If you have problems with the Safariland sliding around on your leg, "grow some stones" (as you across the pond are wont to say) and tighten those leg straps up. The old 6004 straps didn't have and rubber grips to them, but were thick and somewhat elastic. A tight fit ensured that it stayed put while playing, even with my Mk23 (plus the Shooter's Design kit) on my thigh. The newer straps have 2 bands of rubberized material that run the while length of the strap, and are supposed to help keep the holster put. I find that it does it's job well when you strap it on tight.

-Vu

Edited by Vuddha
  • 4 months later...

How are the magazines? I splashed out on a spiffy uncompany custom USP a few years ago now and it was fun, but the mags had more leaks then the met police! 

The review doesn't mention this but would be nice to know. 

(if anybody knows a fix for KSC/KWA USP mags, please PM me!)

hugs n kisses