G&P WOC - selector stuck on Safe...

Well my foray into GBB primaries hasn't got off to a flying start. Opened my new WOC M16VN and noticed that the selector switch seemed very stiff and although it would move from SA to FA, didn't like Safe.

Gassed up a mag, popped it in and the selector moved to Safe only now the <fruiting> thing is stuck there. What the heck have I done? Is this an easy fix or do I need to contact Redwolf?

Gassed up a mag, popped it in and the selector moved to Safe only now the <fruiting> thing is stuck there.

Just to check. You're only trying to put it on safe with it cocked right?

Its quite possible that something may have gone wrong when you were forcing the selector to safe when the rifle was un-cocked. It has steel internals correct? Open up the receivers apart and see if the selector will move.

How comfortable are you at taking the lower components apart? I would strongly recommend on having someone with experience examine it as it's hard to diagnose these things online.

As hitman mentioned, check if you can push the selector out a bit, but do NOT try to pull it out. FYI - there is a detent pin inside the receiver (on the ejection port side) that is pushing onto the selector which helps to keep it in place and also allow it to "click"; this pin may be pushing against the selector too tightly.

If you are familiar with the components, I would start by removing the auto sear to see if there's anything unusual that is obstructing it's movement.

People always jump into the deep end with these sort of things. Just unscrew the pistol grip to allow the detent and detent spring to drop out then see if it is still stuck, if so then yay and if not then look at the sears that are touching the fore selector

Opened my new WOC M16VN and noticed that the selector switch seemed very stiff and although it would move from SA to FA, didn't like Safe.

There may well be your issue. Just to clarify, on an AR-15 type rifle you can't put the fire selector on safe unless the hammer is cocked. This is true for real AR-15s and carries over to airsoft GBBRs.

I really hope trying to put it on safe uncocked hasn't broken your internals!

The selector spring/detent is held in place by the buffer lock block. To remove that, you would have to remove the pistol grip to access the allen head screw. Once that is done, use needle nose pliers to pull up on the buffer lock block. Careful not to loose the above mentioned items along with the buffer lock & buffer lock spring. The selector will now freely rotate unless forcing it earlier marred up the contact surface between the selector & disconnector/trigger assembly.

Hopefully, it just need a good deal of lubing...

EDIT: Ooops, my bad. Looking at your pic, I just noticed that you appear not to have a buffer lock block but instead, a retainer plate similar to the Inokatsu & Viper M4s. Those are generally held by an allen head screw inside the receiver. Same removal process, you just don't have to worry about the buffer lock/buffer lock spring.

Just unscrew the pistol grip to allow the detent and detent spring to drop out then see if it is still stuck, if so then yay and if not then look at the sears that are touching the fore selector

Cheers mate, but this is classic. :rofl:

I <think> that I've worked it out and that it's a combo of the selector spring/detent and selector.

By dentent I'm assuming we mean the little spring loaded pin thing that seems to be there to put some tension on the selector.

Basically I removed what I think is the sear (see pic above) and managed to get the selector out. The end of the detent was jammed into what looks like a casting flaw on the selector. I removed this and the switch and the gun dry fired happily. Put it all back together and the selector switch jams again. However at least now I have the gun firing and locked on Semi.

Two questions remain:

(1) How do I get the silver sear (?) back in.

(2) Does firing the gun without this in do any damage?

I've emailed Redwolf to explain the cause and hopefully they send me a spare pin and selector.

Two questions remain:

(1) How do I get the silver sear (?) back in.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/203794-gp-woc-gbbr-queries/page__st__40

The part is called a hammer lock, just start @ post #43 on down, hope it helps.

(2) Does firing the gun without this in do any damage?

No it won't. Auto fire capability will be disabled.

I have a spare iron airsoft selector and detent and detent spring if you wants it for some £££

Not going to work. IA is a proprietary design. Prime & IA are the only Magna based MBK that are such just like RS. All others including Inokatsu & Viper are WA based.

Untitled-1.jpg

The only thing missing in the diagram is a small washer that pins to the ejection port side of the auto sear. This washer is needed to make sure the sear doesn't move side to side. Also, notice the proper direction the pin needs to be inserted.

On a side note, did you check if the sear is steel? You mentioned it was silver which indicates it's made of some other softer metal (the steel ones on the WOC used to be black). Be careful when you use a steel bolt as it might damage the softer metal components.

Not going to work. IA is a proprietary design. Prime & IA are the only Magna based MBK that are such just like RS. All others including Inokatsu & Viper are WA based.

So surly a 5KU fire selector shouldn't work with my IA 416...which it does so and side by side they are both the same

So surly a 5KU fire selector shouldn't work with my IA 416...which it does so and side by side they are both the same

If that is the case, then both should fit Inokatsu. Viper, G&P, KA, AGM, JG, and WA MBKs which it wont. IA selectors are different period. As I stated, also referencing what you stated on post #8 , it utilizes the same set up as RS in which the detent goes through the lower frame w/the spring mounted on the pistol grip pushing up on the detent.

G&P specifically, requires a plate that drops inside the receiver that houses the detent & spring. Even if you are able to fit a IA type selector, there is no hole in the lower receiver to accommodate the detent & spring. Although its not impossible to drill a hole, its is not worth it as one mistake will leave you a nice paper weight. If you use the drop in plate w/an IA type selector, the detent holes are clocked differently so it will not work.

I own many platforms. With the rifles that I own and have built for people, I go with build experience and not guess work. However, if you feel your information is correct, then its up to the OP to decide what route he wants to go.

Carry on then...

Archived