The AK-47 to weird PDW mod thread. Purists beware, major modifications here!

Stinky

Purists, don't have an aneurism! Keep breathing, stay with me here. Modifying the blasphemous Tokyo Marui Beta Spetz into something else, so it really is OK.

Will post a better walk through of phase 1 and 2 in a day or so, this is phase 3 of the project which is modding and making some new stocks to go on it.

1st new stock is m4 stock modded onto the AK PDW. I used an old ICS m4 stock I found in my dead AEG parts bin. Wanted it short as possible so I cut the round m4 stock mount to be the same internally as the metal tabs stock mount of the TM plastic body beta spetz. It was surprisingly easy to make it fit correctly.

AK PDW, some sort of PDW... I dunno. Its not exactly how I want it, I was aiming for shortest possible body. It may be to short. It was fun, but it needs some direction now. I look at it and think "looks like a toy". Not what I wanted. I am making an mp5k style front end for it that will mkae it about one inch longer at the front of the foregrip.

Any advice? Suggestions? Be nice now...

post-25901-0-21427100-1340058125_thumb.jpg

post-25901-0-11269700-1340058140_thumb.jpg

post-25901-0-21529700-1340058152_thumb.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rather like what you've done there, it actually looks a lot more like a real AK pistol than the Beta spetz does. I think the toy like appearance is probably due to the fact that it's plastic than the design of the gun, you get a good number of AK pistols that don't look hugely different in shape, they're just made of metal...

All i know is this could only happen in airsoft, in the real world that would either explode or hit nothing :P

But as it stands good job taking a design and making it like the M4, i.e. comes in all sizes but only black colour, get some wood on that thing and make it a proper AK, a wood retractable stock would be win ;)

'FireKnife'

Wow, thanks for the inspiration T3CH! Those are sweet! I should have googled AK pistol before I started this.

The second one down looks like it has a 26-28 round mag. Looks like a 30 rounder with just a bit cut off the bottom. Can anyone confirm that? I will prob convert my one 30 round AK mag to that.

But...

Soon to come is a Palm 30 round quad stack magazine for AK for it, have to make it from scratch as they just came out at SHOT 2012.

p1120602-1024x684.jpg

This is the 30 round quad stack, significantly shorter then a normal 30 round AK mag (hard to tell in this shot).

US_PALM__Qaud-Stack_4x2_45-Round_and_30-Round_AK_Mags_AK-47_AKM_Rifle_Magazines_TangoDown_SHOT_Show_2012_DefenseReview.com_DR_3.jpg

The Quad stack 30 round mag is far right, 30 round dual stack (normal) on far left, 45 round quad in middle.

I may have to change the magwell on my AK PDW to accommodate one of these though, shorten the sides a bit.

The Quad stack 30 round mag is far right, 30 round dual stack (normal) on far left, 45 round quad in middle.

hmm we need an airsoft version of ALL of them asap :)

The middle one looks a LOT like a D-Boys thousand round hi-cap with ribbing on it.

1252594202_Dboys%20AK74%201000rd%20Magazine_w600_h600.jpg

Again, I approve of this modification as mercy-killing to something that should never have been born anyway.

Check this real steal fake AK suppressor out for $40 (US). Looks pretty epic to me, how about you guys?

1. What you have there is not AK.

2. Of course, nothings say special forces more than suppressor(unrealistic one at that) markings on side say 7.62x39 and SPETNAZ designated for certain "AUTOMAT KALASHNIKOVA".

3. When I see that fake suppressor I think of Comrade Ivan Chesnokov's wise words. http://www.m1-garand-rifle.com/ivan-chesnokov.php

4. This perfectly describe how I feel when I see that fake suppressor: picture removed

ok, i dont want to hurt you like that man. Its off the list. What should I put on there? I got a Noveske type mock up on it, opinions on the basic concept and look? It can be modified. I can drill out a pattern of holes in it. Have more blank sections of this pipe to work with in various lengths. Throw some ideas at me.

phase%25203%2520flash%2520hider%2520mods%2520noveske%2520type%2520mockup%25201.jpg

Dif grip as well, G&P ergonomic something or other, sorry you cant see it better pics tomorrow after next phase starts. Its not mine so it can't stay on this project, but I will likely buy a grip for this. Suggestions welcome.

I think you s

ok, i dont want to hurt you like that man. Its off the list. What should I put on there? I got a Noveske type mock up on it, opinions on the basic concept and look? It can be modified. I can drill out a pattern of holes in it. Have more blank sections of this pipe to work with in various lengths. Throw some ideas at me.

pic removed

Dif grip as well, G&P ergonomic something or other, sorry you cant see it better pics tomorrow after next phase starts. Its not mine so it can't stay on this project, but I will likely buy a grip for this. Suggestions welcome.

I think you should drill a few holes

I haven't made a saiga thread yet, because I don't have an ak yet.

I love your ak PDW so far!

Thanks everyone! Starting ribbing on the sides of the receiver today, finishing stock mount mod, working on new flash hiders and maybe a mock silencer as well. Trying for a PB-1 styles, maybe try to make a PB-1 replica. Pics in a few hours.

Archived