The AK-47 to weird PDW mod thread. Purists beware, major modifications here!

Stinky

R.C. Airsoft please stop quoting pictures that are right above your post; it is quite annoying.

ok, i dont want to hurt you like that man. Its off the list. What should I put on there? I got a Noveske type mock up on it, opinions on the basic concept and look? It can be modified. I can drill out a pattern of holes in it. Have more blank sections of this pipe to work with in various lengths. Throw some ideas at me.

you can ignore adaddqgg, he constantly forgets that this is not red alliance.

The swear censor applies to pictures as well adadqgg.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some pics of some internal mods and ends...

This is the back of the lower receiver of the TM plastic AK body from around 2005 or earlier that is the base for this (I bought it used around 2007 from a guy that as I recall said he had it for 3 years). Its old, but its rolling along nicely. All the internal parts except for the MB, hop up unit, and stock barrel are upgraded. Might have the stock piston in it, Marui stock pistons are in my somewhat dated opinion bombproof and the best for high fps mods, soft enough to be a bit easier on everything else but durable enough to keep running forever if properly shimmed for AOE and teeth shaved for that new alignment.

Ah got of track, Ok this is the inside of the back end of the lower receiver.

rear%2520of%2520TM%2520AK%2520lower%2520receiver%2520m4%2520gast%2520tube%2520modded%2520in%2520alm%2520tabs%2520in%2520jb%2520setting%2520up%25201.jpg

M4 stock mount/gas buffer tube? (I know nothing about M4's) cut and fit into the back. I had to remove the side tabs on the back of the receiver that provide allot of the support for the old stock mount, so I cut 1mm aluminum plate to fit all the little grooves inside that support the old stock mount. It is setting up with jb weld on the seems, I will then remove the new stock mount and fill in the rest of the gaps once it has its shape. I will then add a pin that will go across through the aluminum and through the sides of the lower receiver so it is fully supported and doesnt tear the back of the body off any easier then the old one would have. And it will be a removable pin, so I can make a folding stock using the same internal method and easily change the two out.

This is the shorter fire select lever being epoxied to the post that fits into the mechanisim on the side of the v.3 mech box.

fire%2520select%2520short%2520lever%2520mod%2520setting%2520up.jpg

It works pressure fit using the mounting screw, but has some slight wobble I want to get rid of. The fire select mechanism itself has some play in it from jsut being 7 years old, I would like to replace the toothed parts of that to tighten it up, but its low priority.

This last one is minor. The underside of the top of the gas block from the rear, where the receiver cover fits, was worn and also very thin fromt the rail mod to the top, so I made a tiny bit of aluminum for that spot to return the proper spacing of the receiver cover and make the rails line up, and to make it tight and wiggle free.

new%2520aluminum%2520lip%2520on%2520gas%2520block%2520for%2520receiver%2520cover%2520to%2520rest%2520on.jpg

I cleaned it up all the outside blobs after the photo, the rest of the jb weld will be hidden so I left it for strength. I will file the rim where the receiver cover goes to make it clean for the fit of the parts.

It all has to just sit overnight, and I got into the World of Warplanes Beta today (!) so that is it for now.

More pics of the stock base plate modding.

This is the old TM AK stock base plate and the modded ICS M4 base plate.

Base%2520plates%2520TM%2520AK%2520Spetz%2520standered%2520and%2520ICS%2520M4%2520modded%25201.jpg

(I will sell the TM part if anyone needs one, I wont be using it anymore)

This is the TM, the M4, and a new ABS plastic base plate I am making for a folding stock.

Base%2520plates%2520TM%2520AK%2520Spetz%2520standered%2520ICS%2520M4%2520modded%2520and%2520new%2520ABS%25201.jpg

Close up of the aluminum used to make the modded stock secure inside the lower receiver, this makes it press against all the surfaces the old one did plus a little bit more. Spreading out the pressure makes it as durable as possible in the old TM plastic body.

Base%2520plate%2520ICS%2520M4%2520modded%2520to%2520fit%2520TM%2520AK%2520tabs%25201.jpg

I will mask the gaps and fill the rest of the aluminim tab area to make it solid.

Sanding the lower today, so no assembled pics for a while.

Working on the sides of the lower receiver, making some raised features to give it a more 'polymer frame' look.

right%2520side%2520panel%2520cut%2520to%2520shape%25202.jpg

The material is 1mm ABS plastic sheet.

right%2520side%2520panel%2520cut%2520to%2520shape%25201.jpg

This is how I am cutting it, wish I had access to a laser cutter right now, 5 minutes watching the pretty light trace around the pattern vs an hour carefully cutting and fearing for my finger tips :P

It has a textured side but I am not using that it will be the epxoy side attached to the receiver. Reason being if I used it the receiver would have more texture then the foregrip which would look weird.

left%2520side%2520panel%2520test%25201.jpg

This is a test panel cut using the textured side up, just to much texture. Sanding it (not picutred) does not get a texture like the grip it just looks weirder, so using the flat side then using some texture in a can over it once filling and sanding are complete. There are a few different options for texture in a can (spray on boat deck grip for one), I will post some tests later.

I might, if I was buying parts for this. Its turned into see what I can make from what I have mod, so I am going to make something like an MP5k side folding stock, somthing that hopefully looks a little like H&K made it (we shall see how that goes). Its supposed to be a take on a polymer framed modern AKM or AK-74 receiver that takes the standard mags but is made of plastic, I am trying to make it look like H&K produced it as a prototype or something. Really wish I had a laser cutter handy to do some trademarks of some sort in the side panels.

AK-PDW%2520left%2520side%2520near%2520done%2520v1.jpg

AK-PDW%2520left%2520side%2520near%2520done%2520v2.jpg

AK-PDW%2520left%2520side%2520near%2520done%2520v3.jpg

AK-PDW%2520left%2520side%2520near%2520done%2520v4.jpg

AK-PDW%2520left%2520side%2520near%2520done%2520v5.jpg

Its getting there. Maybe another week or so till its done, or I'm done with it, ether way...

Question, color scheme? I am considering some Dark Earth Khaki or Maybe Olive Drab like the Green Aug's. Should the lower receiver be different then the gas block with rail, how about the receiver cover? Should I make it look brand new or weathered and worn a bit? How do you like the improvised flash hidder? You won't believe what that is made from...

Hahaha that actually looks really good! If you finish up the touch ups and uniform paint/finishes I think it would look legit.

Personally I feel the dust cover is too shiny/metaly for the flat black plastic of the rest of the gun, maybe paint both in a semi-gloss or satin finish? I think the more the gun is uniform, the more it will look like its supposed to be like that instead of a bunch of parts hacked together.

Great job overall though! I would totally buy something like that :D

thanks, I know most feel the same about stubbies and appriciate the props.

I am trying to make it not look like an AK trying to be something, but something that shares some features and relates in a logical way to the AKM/74. This is sort of the G3 SAS but for Afghanistan or Iraq specifically, or for countries special forces who find the AKM is a common local rifle (basicly everywhere except western europe and the United States). A primary feature is "shoot the same round, make the same sound", so just firing isn't a huge giveaway of who you are, where your from, etc. In theroy the flash is a muzzle brake to reduce climb and increase reliable accuracy to 200 yards, and it makes the gun sound like a standard AKM (fancy acoustical somthing or other in there!). Sound resonable?

If your skills are up to it, I'd see about fabricating a new top cover out of some sort of plastic with a rear drum sight - maybe nick one off an Mp5/G3?

Also, IMO that front grip is begging for an MP5k style grip and front stop.

That being said, amazing work so far!

Well I got some more done, but its taking longer then expected. The front end mod is going slow, did one that I did not like but it showed me what direction to go in.

Here is a little bit of work that was a total pain in the behind, but makes the fire select go "Click" and have a notch for safe, full, and semi.HK%2520MP-547-exp%2520fire%2520select%2520click%2520bars%25201.jpg

Inset little bars of aluminum to give the lever something to snap over between each fire mode, again a total pain in the butt and it did not come out clean and neat enough, though it looks much better after filling the sanded down edges and the pockets with JB weld (to make the edges have better resistance to wear then the bondo).

HK%2520MP-547-exp%2520fire%2520select%2520click%2520bars%25202.jpg

I will make a small metal plate with the appropriate holes for the 'click' effect and redo this with the plate screw mounted, so it can be replaced if it wears out and look much neater and cleaner.

The HK MP-M/47, or MP-574 if and when I get some 5.45x45 AK-74 magazines ( :P ). Anyhow, right side panel done and mounted, one coat of primer as a guide coat to sand and see the low spots. A few little pinholes to fill etc etc.

HK%2520MP-547-exp%25203.jpg

The Pmag modern ones would look darn good, but to expensive. Any comments on the Mag AK waffle magazine x5 box set vs the King Arms Polish type AK waffle mag x5 box set? Both very cheap, are they junk?

Sanded the receiver cover for painting, which will happen later today.HK%2520MP-547-exp%25204.jpg

Added small rails to each side of gas block, sort of screwed it up as the spacing is slightly different on the screws so each rail is unique. Would be better if both fit ether side but oh well, it's not visible and can be redone fairly easily if I get a new section of rail to redo one side to match.

HK%2520MP-547-exp%25201.jpg

I kinda like the bare metal receiver cover, but I wont leave it that way. Going all black, taking pics, then painting the entire thing tan/sand, maybe leave stock tube and rails black. Then look at the pics, and decide what looks better. Still working on the front end stop and grip mount for the mp5k'ish front end.

Any comments on the Mag AK waffle magazine x5 box set vs the King Arms Polish type AK waffle mag x5 box set? Both very cheap, are they junk?

I've had 10 MAG waffles for years now. 2 have had their bb-stoppers worn down so they don't stay loaded, but otherwise I've not had any problems with them. I have a bad habit of leaving them loaded, but I just pop the pin and pull the spring out every once in a while and stretch it out.

Perfect feeding.

Thanks y'all, :D

Some more pics. Blacked out except for the bolt which I sanded the weird gray paint off of. Grey paint instead of just leaving it bare and beautiful... whatever TM, whatever.

IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0644.JPG

Set up for gaming with a 7.4 lipo in an old cigerette tin velcro strapped to the stock. Stock butt pad is one of the foam backed straps from a knee brace, very convenant as a wrap with a black fabric surface and a velcro tab at the end.

IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0643.JPG

Archived